You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
RSA_Nico

Decision to make for Graphic card upgrade...Help

7 comments in this topic

[_B_]
Players
3 posts
2,419 battles

Good day Ladies and Gents

Im at a bit of a crossroad, im looking to upgrade my current graphic card (GT 620 1gb ddr3) and dont know witch card to run with?

In my budget i came accross these two cards, AMD Radeon 7240 2gb 128bit GDDR5 and Geforce GT 730 4gb 128bit DDR3, and dont know witch will be better to run WOWS with as its the only game i play on my current pc and the old one is struggling to keep up.

I have always used Nvidia base cards and do not know the Radeon at all. I have checked the specs of both and the Radeon seems better but dont want to spend cash on something thats not gonna improve my gaming experiance.

My PC specs. ( im busy upgrading as monies becomes availible)

CPU: Core 2 duo 2.7ghz

Ram: 4gb ( Upgrading to 8gb)

Drive: Sata 128gb SSD

If i can get help on this ill be gratefull.

Regards

RSA_Nico

Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

Both of those cards are basically "bottom of the barrel" lowest end models of many generations old series.

(with Geforce basically being "Big marketing number of lots of really slow memory for slow GPU for fools" -edition)

Se neither of them is going to be very big upgrade and not such sensible unless you can get them for really cheap.

As for upgrading memory to 8GB do you have 64bit Windows?

Basing to CPU that PC is from time when they (stupidly) still sold PCs with 32bit Windows.

CPU is also getting old and unless you're keeping Windows "clean" all background bloatware is going to suck away some performance.

Though depending on particular model it could be likely overclocked easily to ~3,5GHz.

Lots of Core 2 CPUs were very good for that.

Had 1,25VID Q9550 quad core overclocked from 2,83 to 3,7GHz while undervolted to 1,2V.

Though monitor resolution affects to relative processing power requirements between CPU and GPU.

[_B_]
Players
3 posts
2,419 battles

Hi

Im not that hardcore gamer so im just looking around. Im running win7 pro 64bit. Im going to upgrade to i5 soon. (New otherboard and CPU). What about the MSI Radeon RX460 OC Edition -2GB GDDR5 128BIT, Boost Clock 1210 Mhz, Memory Frequency 7000 Mhz, DisplayPort X 1, HDMI x1, DL-DVI-D or Geforce GTX 750Ti 2GB DDR5,128 Bit,PCI 3.0, Dual-link DVI-D x 1, D-Sub x 1, HDMI x 1 (version 1.4a). Like i said i am not so up to date with the quality and the to name brands.

[_GG_]
[_GG_]
Weekend Tester
261 posts
2,914 battles

Hi

Im not that hardcore gamer so im just looking around. Im running win7 pro 64bit. Im going to upgrade to i5 soon. (New Motherboard and CPU). What about the MSI Radeon RX460 OC Edition -2GB GDDR5 128BIT or Geforce GTX 750Ti 2GB DDR5,128 Bit,PCI 3.0 (version 1.4a). Like i said i am not so up to date with the quality and the to name brands.

Out of those two, the RX460 is vastly superior, but at nearly the cost of a 750Ti you can pick up a 1050Ti from NVidia's side which again brings the two closer.

You haven't given us your budget so it's not very easy to say definitely what you need or want, but I wouldn't recommend anything other than the latest generation of cards. Especially the NVidia's 1000-series has taken a huge leap comparing to the 700- and 900-series. Something like a GTX 1050Ti (or even the regular 1050) is the basic 1080p budget card from NVidia that will run most games at full hd resolution at decent graphics, and older games and less intensive titles (like WoWS) you might even be able to crank all settings to maximum details. Especially if you're upgrading to a newer system as far as the mobo and CPU soon it wouldn't make sense to buy right now a graphics card that's several years old.

Edited by K_A

[_B_]
Players
3 posts
2,419 battles

I saw the MSI GTX1050 2GB DDR5 128 BIT. Its round about R 2279 ($174 US) My budget was around $150. Ill rather pull out more for something that wil last me longer. 

Another and last question... what make si better MSI or Gigabyte coz that one comes in those brands?

Sorry for all the Q&A but im really out with the pc times.

Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

Im running win7 pro 64bit. Im going to upgrade to i5 soon.

The last OS Microsoft made for computer instead of toyphone...

And don't do any CPU upgrades in at least few weeks.

AMD is going to release Zen architecture CPUs in ten days and we can expect some real competition to return to CPUs.

After that I would expect Intel to do some price cuts or then at least there would be more options available with AMD giving very good overal performance vs price.

Performance and power efficiency jump from "Fail"dozer" is going to be in similar class to what Core 2 did for Intel after NetBurst/Pentium 4 fiasco.

I saw the MSI GTX1050 2GB DDR5 128 BIT. Its round about R 2279 ($174 US) My budget was around $150. Ill rather pull out more for something that wil last me longer.

Small difference in GPU isn't likely going to make much difference in say two to three years because by their nature performance of GPUs is easy to improve.

So in that it's best to look what kind prices there are couple close in performance cards.

Also any kind discount prices can easily swing situation to favour one.

While good CPU will stay OK good for something like five years.

[MIRAI]
Players
591 posts
6,792 battles

The new rx from radeon are aimed exactly where you need them: good performance(think vr ready) at under or around 200$ depending on retailer. 

The green version would be gtx 1050 or 1060(but i think the latter one is getting fast out of your budget). Just look for some reviews of the new rx vs gtx and make your choice. Just make sure you get the new generation cards, the difference conpared to previous ones is quite telling. 

If you're not in a hurry, i'd also wait untill the upcoming vega10 ati cards are released in may, and the gtx1080ti. They are waaaay out of your budget, but they might help drive other card's price down as well, or you may get your hands on a used 1070 or something for dirt cheap from someone that upgraded to the latest fad. 

Unless you find some strange deal, i would not consider an older gen card when for a similar price i can get the new rx cards. To put it into perspective, i have an r290 atm, and rx has similar or better performance at half the price. That good. This new generation of both red and green teams is a great buy. 

As for brand, it differs from card to card, so you'll need some review digging up. The reason is that one company may release an awesome heatsink and cooler config, which to cut costs they put on another silinar format card, but it might not be so good, while the competition is doing the same thing, but making the new design for the card you want, which can lead to better results. There are also other things to consider such as noise and size of custom coolers, so it's pretty hard to give a generalx brand> y brand.