Hawg

Patience and aiming

11 comments in this topic

[HAERT]
Players
414 posts
5,963 battles

Thanks 

Ive been playing for a while now, but am still very much a noob.   Ive been reading about tactitcs and trying to decide why my performance is not better.  I think the top two reasons are my lack of patience and my poor aiming skills.

By lack of patience I am referring to the slow pace the game uses for battles to get started.  I find that my best results come when I go afk for the first few minutes of a battle and then join.   If i do this then i can come back and pcik a strategicly good place to go.  If i dont do this, then i usually end up too far ahead of the pack and get obliterated.   

To me that is really boring, so my question, how do you deal with the boredom of doing almost nothing for the first few minites of a battle while you wait for the field to take shape?

My other issue is aiming, especially from afar, i feel like i am far worse at hitting people than they are at hitting me.   Is there a way to practice this, or aiming addons, or something that helps you get better on deciding how far to lead?

[HAERT]
Beta Tester
672 posts
4,821 battles

Instead of AFK for a few minutes, why not set off at half speed or even slower.

1. people won't be annoyed at your apparent AFK
  2. you won't get too far ahead for your own good
  3. you can actively read the developing situation
  4. you have time to train your guns in the required direction (not that relevant in Minotaur! :teethhappy: )

Re. your aiming. Using Aslain's or similar, install the training mod enabler, you can then add enemies of your choice to practice against.

http://aslain.com/index.php?/topic/2020-0611-aslains-wows-modpack-installer-wpicture-preview/

[H_FAN]
Players
1,943 posts
22,583 battles

Your best damage results if that is what you mean may come from a more passive playstyle if you just rush ahead but if you go afk your team might be oblitirated and thus the chance of you losing the game and get rage from your team is far higher.

If you are a DD your scouting is needed, does not mean that you must fire and reveal yourself or get in a suicide charge. If you are a BB your firepower may be the difference between victory or defeat.

Like the post Before it is a vast difference if you start you ship at the start because then we know that you are part of the fleet.

If you are afk it also means passivety or choosing wrong decisions for the rest of the team.

Aiming is much practise, have you difficulty when playing coop or is it only when playing randoms?

You have a lot of Youtube guides to Watch. But one thing is to zoom in on the ship learn how fast they go, f.e. a Battleship on low tiers go in many times 20 kts as max while cruisers and DDs in T4 some times makes 33-35 kts.

Learn angling and how to look at smoke, in random skilled players varies the speed, some times they might even reverse, which you can see on smoke.

If you look at the hit /misses you do try to notice why you miss and which ships you have difficulty to hit.

But even a skilled player have problems with hitting a DD at distance.

If I look at your stats you have climbed up the tiers maybe too fast as the higher tier players in general are more skilled and will punish you for mistakes. Your average damage is in red mostly, so you may not have te patience to learn the ships benefits and how you should play them. Try to stay at lower tiers and concentrate on a few ships and wait for improvement in the stats. You have very few games in most of the ships hence that theory.

But see it as a room for improvment and you write here and that is good.

Boredom? Try to see the first minutes as the setup for the battles, what are the key areas, what are the likely paths for enemy fleet and how to deal with them. How do I cooperate best with the rest of my fleet, depending on your ship and the composition of the various fleets in your team. To be AFK is not the best part. It is more important for the team to do damage early when the game is often decided than if you mop up some enemy ships late and recieves good damageresults but are unable to stem the tide as the capzones have given the enemy too many Points or you are 7 to 3 ships down.

I can only recommend that you have the patience to spend more time learning the basics at lower tiers.

I see a few ships that you are better in, New York NM etc even though is very few games so why have you succeded better in them?

Or worse in a ship like Kongo?

The few games in the various ships may also in the better ships hide poor play but you have performed a few good fights.

Edited by Gnirf

[HAERT]
Players
414 posts
5,963 battles

Thanks Gnirf and Kevbar, you both have given some good insight.   I hate going afk, so will just have to work on enjoying the strategic side of watching the battlefield develop as you mention.   Ill try that simulator you mentioned Kevbar.  

Gnirf I think you are probably right about moving up in the ranks too fast.  I think I let the collector in me take over and getting more ships became more important than getting good at the ships I have.   Ill refocus on lower tiers IV - VI since i can still get quest credit there.

Another unrelated question -  This one is also noobish -  I played several games yesterday and today with my Ranger CV, I wanted to try manually releasing the bombs (I'm not using torps on that ship), and watched some youtube videos on how to do it.  The mechanics make sense,  but I cant figure out how to get the camera to zoom into the area where my aricraft are about to drop their bombs so i can manually drop it.   Toggling M switches me from map view to the overview of my CV, but not to where my bombers are.   Any idea how to change that view?  And also, how do you make a plane return to the CV to reload? Thanks again 

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

I see a few ships that you are better in, New York NM etc even though is very few games so why have you succeded better in them?

Or worse in a ship like Kongo?

That's easy one to analyze.

What's dramatically different between those ships?

Difference in gun range and speed.

New York's shorter range forces going closer to enemy to be able to fire at them and then slow speed prevents running away too far to hit them.

Meaning better chances to hit enemy and especially for higher damage hits, while team mates survive better, because of BB drawing some enemy fire away from more fragile ships.

Kongo again has range to avoid need to get closer and speed to make sure it stays that way.

That translates to lower damage and winrate because of too long range for hitting enemy and lack of BB support to team mates.

Players
50 posts
3,323 battles

To me that is really boring, so my question, how do you deal with the boredom of doing almost nothing for the first few minites of a battle while you wait for the field to take shape?

My other issue is aiming, especially from afar, i feel like i am far worse at hitting people than they are at hitting me.   Is there a way to practice this, or aiming addons, or something that helps you get better on deciding how far to lead?

Firstly, don't run straight in.  Head off at full speed at a diagonal angle to use the starting time to open up an angle and preferably put yourself in an advantageous position (with a destroyer or cruiser this means "island to hide behind") when the shooting starts.  Shooting at the front of a ship is difficult and rarely causes serious damage.  Shooting at the sides gives a much bigger target meaning that you hit more, and can deal citadels.

Personally, I feel that the biggest help to me with aiming has been changing the crosshair.  There's several different types available in the options, most of which aren't quite as good looking but are a lot more functional. Personally, I prefer one that looks somewhat like a spiders web, as it gives the approximate angles that you need to drop shells on target with your first shots.  On the spiderweb type aim points the second marker will put shots on (or close to) targets doing 20kts where as the third is around 30kts.  With practice and knowing the arcs of your guns you can get direct hits with your first shots

[H_FAN]
Players
1,943 posts
22,583 battles

Thanks Gnirf and Kevbar, you both have given some good insight.   I hate going afk, so will just have to work on enjoying the strategic side of watching the battlefield develop as you mention.   Ill try that simulator you mentioned Kevbar.

Gnirf I think you are probably right about moving up in the ranks too fast.  I think I let the collector in me take over and getting more ships became more important than getting good at the ships I have.   Ill refocus on lower tiers IV - VI since i can still get quest credit there.

Another unrelated question -  This one is also noobish -  I played several games yesterday and today with my Ranger CV, I wanted to try manually releasing the bombs (I'm not using torps on that ship), and watched some youtube videos on how to do it.  The mechanics make sense,  but I cant figure out how to get the camera to zoom into the area where my aricraft are about to drop their bombs so i can manually drop it.   Toggling M switches me from map view to the overview of my CV, but not to where my bombers are.   Any idea how to change that view?  And also, how do you make a plane return to the CV to reload? Thanks again

I want to add a few things try your new ship in coop mode so you be a little more comfortable with its gun arcs etc as the flight time to target to say 10-15 km (most likely battlerange) differs between various ships with a few seconds so I advice you not to change ships too much in the learning process. Play some games in a row with same ship. Do you play coop at all when you get a new ship?

While the bots are stupid they give you a feel for the necessary lead before the enemy ships depending on type and distance.

Same with the DDs torp speed varies a lot.

It is not only for knowing the your own ships capabilities but to be familiar with the enemy ships, speed etc.  It is a good suggestion from you to play T4-T6 and stick there for say 1000 battles or so (an occasional departure does not hurt) as you say the credits are decent there and there are several good ships. And the gamemeta is most fun there, many very good players mixed with newbies gives you varaition in the games. Not the camping mode of higher tiers.

Esa is very correct that the IJN ships tends sometimes to use their range too much, even they should be played closer to enemy than max range. Sometimes you might hit a distance shot so this is bonus hits before the showdown. You can severely punish noobish straightline ships but do not make it a game strategy to remain at distance. Learn the various ships the optimum distance.

Learn also the concealment values for DDs and their max torp range so when you see the enemy lineup you are aware roughly of which are really dangerous and likely to try to invisitorp you. IJN DDs in particular will do that, while most of RU DDs at these tiers have 4 km torp range and will be seen by you before attack. There are some premiums in these tiers that also may signal a very dangerous player like Gremyaschy or kamikaze.

The more you learn is of course better and I do understand that it might be too serious but some overall basic capabilities of your ship vs likely opponents are good to know. I have often seen DDs torp out of range at lower tiers.

There are gides how you should bomb and aim with CVs out there.

I Watch the Youtube for generic infos Ichase have a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ichasegaming/playlists

Captains Academy can you look at.

If it is a specific ship there is lots of Reviews, Flamu is an excellent player who talks a lot of the capabilities of the ship in question, recommended build etc.

However please note when the video is made, new captains skills, buffs and nerfs of the ship in question , new ship trees may meke the Review too old.

I never Watch streams of fantastic damage only it is better with a more Review when they explain on how they play. Here is one example of Flamu New York

(The capt skills have changed since video)

Edited by Gnirf

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

preferably put yourself in an advantageous position (with a destroyer or cruiser this means "island to hide behind") when the shooting starts.

While cruisers like to have nearby cover available for at least limiting number of enemies who can shoot at you, for lone destroyer in front line island hugging is really bad thing:

Only advantage destroyer has over heavier ships is speed and better stealth to detect those bigger ships before they can detect you.

Now no ship is fast enough to outrun shells, so maintaining that detection advantage is priority.

And hugging islands completely removes that advantage and ability to control when you're detected.

Without other ships or planes to spot what's on other side of islands you might get detected in front of whole fleet of enemies all wanting piece of you.

In that situation losing "only" nearly all hitpoints would be the best possible outcomes.

In range of hydroacoustics or radar even smoke won't help if surviving long enough to turn away from enemy.

So despite of best maneuverability destroyers need lots of planning ahead.

Instead of thinking only about ambushing that big clumsy BB you have to think also about what other ships there are in enemy team...

And where they're likely to be and what they might be doing.

[RONIN]
Players
140 posts
6,293 battles

for aiming I use the numbers on the horizontal line in the crosshair.  Most of the time I lead about number 7 before a battleship (not the fast Kongo and Gneisenau, which have cruiser speed), and about 12 for cruisers (when the are going in a straight direction keeping same distance to you).

You can fire one shot first to see where it lands, and then adjust and fire the rest or a new salvo.

Start of battle:   I always look if everybody leaves (watch black smoke).  I go with the ships that are moving to help them.  Most of the time it is a good idea to have two groups that go different direction. I watch if this is developing or I ask in chat about it, or for a plan.  Learn how different maps are played best, and choose your direction for it. And important also, make sure you let your guns turn in the direction you want them. You can look around without disturbing the direction with right button of your mouse.

In cruisers you should pay attention to your destroyers and help them.  I think there is enough to do and watch for in first minutes. I also look what ships the enemy has- can they use smoke and torps (cruisers)

how many destroyers, carriers.  And anticipate regarding my own ships.  A cruisers with good AA defence (american) can stick with a battleship to protect against planes, for example.

A cruiser with radar can help destroyers and make enemy dd in smoke visible and fire HE at them.

[HAERT]
Players
414 posts
5,963 battles

Thanks for all the feedback guys.   Yesterday I had mixed success... I had a few good games and then a long streak of terrible ones... Its really a lot due to my self discipline, and not rushing in.

Today I've had a streak of good games.  Here is my most recent:   

pyJjyXC.png

cOYJiNS.png

If I can keep even half of that up I'll be happy :)

Edited by Hawg

Players
65 posts
2,394 battles

Just an after thought the numbers on the sights.....the one on the left is time to target in seconds IF the target is travelling at 30knts on the right is distance to where u are aiming at....each line or dot represents time for shells to arrive at the aim location...Main marked are 5, 10, 15, 20

Sign in to follow this