Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
waxx25

Potato guide to not losing star in ranked on loss

15 comments in this topic

Players
1,011 posts
10,347 battles

If playing a DD, you have to make sure you are never first to scout, that increases the danger of being shot at. Wait until some of your team dies then come closer, get a cap (huge xp bonus there) and maybe finish off some low hp targets. WIN (by being best loser of course)

If playing CA, NEVER be first and dont play CA for this.

If playing BB, Never get within 19km of enemy targets until your team is dead. After team is gone go in and get some easy kills on enemy before you die. WIN

Remember NEVER EVER play for your team it only gets you killed early and 0 exp at end of match. Play only for yourself and remember "I am going to lose anyways because team won't carry me" and you can be top loser everytime.

WG GET RID OF THIS. NOT LOSING A STAR ON A LOSS, WE THOUGHT IT WAS A GREAT IDEA, WE WERE WRONG. Playing for the team either results in a win where you are a large part of making it happen or a loss where you are on bottom of exp list. Although best player is sometimes top player by exp that is hardly the case 80% of the time.

[TTT]
[TTT]
Sailing Hamster, Players, Privateer
3,785 posts
15,991 battles

Although best player is sometimes top player by exp that is hardly the case 80% of the time.

With 72 ranked battles this season, I doubt you've seen enough games to make a qualified statement there.

However...

The whole concept of losing a star is demotivating. It's usually not up to you to win a battle, it's a group effort and if one or even two people doing poorly will cost you a battle. I do believe that this is why that many people are frustrated with ranked. On the other hand, if the missions are anything to go by, the alternatives may be even less enjoyable.

• Cool 2

[-RT-]
Players
23 posts
12,507 battles

Well, you can make plays for the Team while risking to lose a star, alot of the match ups in ranked is all about the positioning and knowledge about the enemy ships. if you know how to be the most useful asset to the Team without being that one guy spamming HE on max range farming free damage to not lose a star you are more likely to win by default (granted having a Belfast really helps with making such plays happen, but I think we all went over this often enough).

Heck on my matches I never really focused to be the top player but rather to be the most usefull asset to the Team, by knowing where to be and when to go for plays alone you can decide most matches in your favor, especially when you communicate with the team, it is what got me to rank 1 and it is by far the best advice I can give to anyone actually attempting to go for it, ALWAYS communicate with the team!

[NWP]
Players
2,187 posts
13,994 battles

One of the reasons I haven't really started playing ranked this season, saw how toxic this concept was last season. People just don't do 100% teamplay anymore, they always have that little concept of: try to make sure that if we were to lose, I at least am top xp earner...

• Cool 2

[-RT-]
Players
23 posts
12,507 battles

On lower ratings you have to expect high toxicity levels, you are mostly playing with newbies and quite frankly bad players there so communication is pretty hard, but on the higher ranks (i.e.5) you get to know people, and most people playing there know that flaming and being toxic won't win games and quite often people actively communicate with each other, even on global chat and have a nice banter, it is something you just have to grow past.

[SCRUB]
Players
3,432 posts
9,234 battles

Avoid epicenter at all cost. If you sail into it, you will detonate.

source.gif

Edited by nambr9
  • Cool 1

[TTT]
[TTT]
Sailing Hamster, Players, Privateer
3,785 posts
15,991 battles

Heck on my matches I never really focused to be the top player but rather to be the most usefull asset to the Team, by knowing where to be and when to go for plays alone you can decide most matches in your favor, especially when you communicate with the team, it is what got me to rank 1 and it is by far the best advice I can give to anyone actually attempting to go for it, ALWAYS communicate with the team!

Pretty much this. Been around in Belfast, too. Trying to positiong myself so that I can make use of Radar means I can end up exposed and sunk without being first on my team. But I rather play for winning a battle than not losing a star.

[AXIS]
Players
714 posts
12,180 battles

i´d actually argue for the top player on the losing team to get a star. would be great for those games you literally double the XP of the 2nd best player...

the whole "not losing a star promotes bad/passive gameplay" argument i don´t see in reality.

it doesn´t matter if you camp and hide the entire game or rush like a madman, if you´re a bad player you won´t be top XP anyway

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
3,432 posts
9,234 battles

Pretty much this. Been around in Belfast, too. Trying to positiong myself so that I can make use of Radar means I can end up exposed and sunk without being first on my team. But I rather play for winning a battle than not losing a star.

You know what sucks to?

Positioning in Belfast, popping smoke and then nobody in your team spots for you. So you have to use radar just for the sake to shoot at someone.

Ive even had 2 dds camping in MY smoke while we didnt have a vision on 8km targets.

Edited by nambr9

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

3 average players working together is worth far more than a bunch of skilled but solo players.

Teamwork is op. Being the glue that holds your team together is better than working to be the top XP scorer.

• Cool 2

Players
680 posts
5,059 battles

If playing a DD, you have to make sure you are never first to scout, that increases the danger of being shot at. Wait until some of your team dies then come closer, get a cap (huge xp bonus there) and maybe finish off some low hp targets. WIN (by being best loser of course)

If playing CA, NEVER be first and dont play CA for this.

If playing BB, Never get within 19km of enemy targets until your team is dead. After team is gone go in and get some easy kills on enemy before you die. WIN

Remember NEVER EVER play for your team it only gets you killed early and 0 exp at end of match. Play only for yourself and remember "I am going to lose anyways because team won't carry me" and you can be top loser everytime.

WG GET RID OF THIS. NOT LOSING A STAR ON A LOSS, WE THOUGHT IT WAS A GREAT IDEA, WE WERE WRONG. Playing for the team either results in a win where you are a large part of making it happen or a loss where you are on bottom of exp list. Although best player is sometimes top player by exp that is hardly the case 80% of the time.

With your stats you probably have gone pirate already in the past adn if not you will be at this rate so I dont see your problem maybe you also already profitted from for a long time. All those things you describe I have also seen in some games but every game is different and last stand players can win the game there is no way of rewarding the good losing player without sometimes a bad camper gets the reward while fleeing in another game if the better players did not manage to survive. Most the time players all cooperate to their best effort and then it is correct to hand out the not losing a star thing.

[POMF]
Players
513 posts
12,839 battles

source.gif

this is just sad
  • Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
2,445 posts
6,983 battles

Yesterday got onto Neighbors.  Team says go B.  Nagato gets confused between the B flag and the B line (top of map).  When I asked him to come and help the team I got firstly told to 'go screw yourself' and then informed 'I have over 20km range'.

• Cool 1

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles

If I'm playing Epicentre with Shiratsuyu, I tend to spend the match camping in the most comfortable position I can find, where I'm in range of as much as possible so I can choose my targets freely. Which also happens to be in the centre cap, most of the time.

That's my experience as well. You can play selfishly to not lose a star, or you can play with the team to gain a star.

[POMF]
Players
513 posts
12,839 battles

Yesterday got onto Neighbors.  Team says go B.  Nagato gets confused between the B flag and the B line (top of map).  When I asked him to come and help the team I got firstly told to 'go screw yourself' and then informed 'I have over 20km range'.

reminds me of a yamato which I had in my team, not having a single scratch but "proudly" argueing he would ve already made 100k damage as the battle was already lost....

BB player, always BB player....

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this