Sign in to follow this  
TheCoolBird

Dealing with German BB's?

12 comments in this topic

Players
136 posts
2,082 battles

So I am playing Nagato in ranked, and I find my self doing rather well. But my main counter seems to be German battleships. They have enough speed to easily get close, and I seem to do little damage against them. 

I know how powerful Nagato guns are, but against the Germans they seem to be rather weak. I often see over pen's or non-pen. Usually I ask for focus fire from my team if I am having problems, but there isn't always a team to do that. Where do I aim on them so I am getting more damage done? Even when they are broadside, the damage I deal is lower than usual. Any information given is highly appreciated.

Players
723 posts
5,774 battles

That's the thing about german BBs. Up to tier 8, they are all very strong against other BBs and two of them have torps. This means that you should hunt cruisers while there are any in view / left. Only shoot at the german BBs when they're at broadside, or something and stay away from them.

Fire and torpedoes are generally the things that stop them. You can do 10'000ish damage to them when they're 90 degrees to you.

Edited by SmartassNoob

[CATS]
Players
14,622 posts
10,863 battles

Aim for the upper belt. And yes, there is a small window from where the Nagato can citadel german BBs up to Scharnhorst/Gneisenau.

[OP-B]
Players
128 posts
17,432 battles

Aiming just below their deck, well above from their torpedo belt is where it hurts., you might bet couple bounces (Dispersion hit's to torpedo belt) and couple overpens, (Dispersion hits to superstructure) but majority will just penetrate.

Also if you see Gneisenau / Scarnhorst / Tirpiz coming to torp run you from close range (Bow on tanking), try to hit it below front turrets when it's turning to launch the torps, you might get a citadel.

If they are still on distance, but bow on, try to hit their turrets, As if you manage to take out one of the turrets which essentially is 50% of their firepower gone (as rear turrets cant turn far enough.)

• Cool 1

Players
401 posts
3,204 battles

You really shouldn't be having trouble against the Gneisenau it's a load of garbage only thing you need to worry about is them getting into torp range, just stay 12-14 km kitting back if needed and pound them they have few guns and Dispersion is terrible to really do anything back.

Like most german BB don't try hitting the citadels, unless at bad angles aim for their main armor belt as that will stop overpens and a good salvo can do 10k+ damage without much trouble.

[ORCS]
Players
145 posts
11,674 battles

Lol... funny dood. Gneise is such garbage that she can chew up and spit out any bb ingame without breaking a sweat. But to help OP yes, against capable driver u must keep distance and u will do fine. Just make sure u dont run out of map. Keep in mind that if that gneise realy wants to get u he will unless ur team helps up. Nagato cant outrun gneise and the moment distance closes under 10 km guns start to hurt, under 7 secondaries kick in and under 5... well thats the end. So keep her at distance and make sure u have a friendly dd between u and her. Few torps will make any driver brake off the attack.

Players
401 posts
3,204 battles

Lol... funny dood. Gneise is such garbage that she can chew up and spit out any bb ingame without breaking a sweat. But to help OP yes, against capable driver u must keep distance and u will do fine. Just make sure u dont run out of map. Keep in mind that if that gneise realy wants to get u he will unless ur team helps up. Nagato cant outrun gneise and the moment distance closes under 10 km guns start to hurt, under 7 secondaries kick in and under 5... well thats the end. So keep her at distance and make sure u have a friendly dd between u and her. Few torps will make any driver brake off the attack.

Gneisenau is currently 2nd worst performing T7 battleship only marginally out performing the colorado.

[ORCS]
Players
145 posts
11,674 battles

That could only mean that majority of players try to play her wrong. I killed 3 or 4 of gneise today with benson because ppl charge mindlessly and eat a dozen torps in 5 seconds. The other half stay at max range and try to snipe. But i took her out once today killed tirpitz badly damaged bismarck and fuso got 120k dmg and a win. Ship is fine. Even cit a kutuzov at 17 km and i rarely go for long range shots.

Players
842 posts
8,386 battles

Gneisenau is currently 2nd worst performing T7 battleship only marginally out performing the colorado.

Quote source pls.

[ORCS]
Players
145 posts
11,674 battles

Checked warships today and it says 2nd best. Scharn has the lead, gneise runner up followed by nagato. Lolorado is caboose. The truth is gneise is not for anyone. She is designed to support a certain playstyle and if a player cant adapt she will not perform. I suck with fuso but i dont call her crap boat. I just cant stand long range fights and fuso cant brawl well. Therefore i get bad results. So i dropped the line and looked for something that suits me. Found gneisenau and fell in love.

Players
97 posts
689 battles

That's the thing about german BBs. Up to tier 8, they are all very strong against other BBs and two of them have torps. This means that you should hunt cruisers while there are any in view / left. Only shoot at the german BBs when they're at broadside, or something and stay away from them.

You have to admit, that this is absolutely crazy, evading a BB designed to hunt cruisers because it will eat other BBs for breakfast

~

In my Colorado I deal with German BBs very efficiently: I give up

The moment they are bent on my destruction and turn bow-on, all I'm left with is doing as much damage as I can before they sink me, while hoping someone on my team may be able to take it out before that happens

Ramming them is also not an option

Since they already outrun me, therefore, have to set my course for impact well in advance and although I have a tighter turning circle, they have a quicker rudder response

being able to react quicker to any of my moves

Sign in to follow this