Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MuddyMo

High tier economy

9 comments in this topic

[MOF]
Players
61 posts
7,729 battles

Hello, i've recently unlocked the USS Iowa, im loving it allot except for one tiny detail.

The repair cost of 100k+ credits is a bit on the insane side just like every tier 8-10 ship.

I've been doing rather well in the Iowa but i've still only managed to make a profit whenever i get a kraken, a win and 180k damage.

Yes i know i could play better or use premium account but i don't want to buy premium account because i buy premium ships instead .

i've also heard that tier 10 ships with premium account sometimes struggle to make a profit, my idea to fix this is to lower the repair cost of tier 8-10 ships by 25-50%.

This change should allow non premium account users to play tier 8-10 ships without having to use a premium ship or a lower tier ship to make credits for whatever the big boats lose them.

i feel like everyone would like this change especially the people without premium account, because right now whenever i make a loss i have to either do extremely well or play one of the 7 premiums i own.

Edited by wesley10x

Alpha Tester
5,609 posts
5,568 battles

It was already changed. Imagine getting slapped with -200k on decent game in T10 :(

So do not hold your breath for another change, no matter how justified it would be.

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,547 posts
7,007 battles

Not this again.....high tiers have to be expensive to play....this also increases the chance of people buying premium and therefore paying WG for their services.

Players
915 posts
11,130 battles

Considering the fact that you are running an insane amount of premium ships, I kind of fail to see your problem, but let's elaborate without sarcasm.

WoWs is a free to play game because it has a very specific business model. The two main pillar of this is:

- First of all, you have to catch a lot of people's attention and make them stay. For that, lower tiers have to be filled with players and they have to offer easy advancement.

- Once they invested a fair amount (or too much, depending on your view) of time, slowly deprive them of resources. This will make at least some of them pay up (classic case of alternative costs), so in the end you - as WG - make profits. That's the gist of it.

Now, would it be fun to play T10 all day everyday? No, but the sake of argument, let's say it will be. Let's implement your proposal. What will happen?

- Lower tiers will be deserted. New players will not wait 10 minutes for a matchmaking, see WoWp.

- Since there is no more need for premium time / ships at least credit-wise, a significant amount of people will go "free-mode". WG will lose profits. Game gets nuked. Your account gets deleted.

Sure, I exaggerated, but I accept this business modell as it is,it's not that I have a choice. You can play free completely, if you "grind" (but frankly, I wouldn't call some ocassional fun lower tier matches grinding, compared to for example WoT, I'm almost swimming in credits without any particular effort). Or you can pay and do whatever you want.

Don't misunderstand me, if you want to play higher tiers only, I'm not happy about that you can't do so, but I don't see the situation that grim. Seriously, I run four T8 ships in coop and I usually keep the ledger around zero sum. If not, one "credits"-container, and all is well.

All in all, you can dislike the system, but free play-wise I don't think WoWs is the worst game out in the market.

Edit: Oh, and just now I remembered, if you have no problem buying premium ships, you can buy premium camo for most higher tier silver ships, effectively making them semi-premium, significantly lowering their service costs. So you do have choices.

Edited by AkosJaccik
  • Cool 1

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,800 posts
9,017 battles

Let's just remove every reason anyone could have to pay money for their entertainment. /s

There are several reasons why repair/service costs increase the way they do for higher tiers.

Players
684 posts
5,441 battles

You have your v8 pride and joy in the garage and a crappy Fiat Panda on the drive.

Which one do you commute to work in?

WG classic economy model to ensure continued population of the lower ranks to feed the appetite of the top echelons.

And mid tier games are great fun.

A few more weird and wonderful premiums wouldn't go amiss at tiers 5 and 6 to spice it up.

HMS Lord Clive monitor anyone? 1 x 18" gun at tier 5 heh heh. Talk about a glass canon!

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,028 posts
14,208 battles

Get the premium camo for T10 ships and you will earn money even if you just afk the entire round .. Im making millions my playing Tier 10 ..

Beta Tester
231 posts
4,456 battles

The repair costs are too low, if anything.

Every scrub can play TX all day long for free now, but scrubs should buy dubloons to do it !

It got a little better with fixed repair costs but it seems people didn´t get the message. TX is camptastic right nao !

[MBK]
Players
26 posts
13,264 battles

Get the premium camo for T10 ships and you will earn money even if you just afk the entire round .. Im making millions my playing Tier 10 ..

Agree. I play my Yamato and GK every day. Premium camos make T10 games a real fun.

Sign in to follow this