The_Flying_Dutchman114

HSK 8 Kormoran German auxiliary cruiser

9 comments in this topic

Players
125 posts
10,997 battles

Would like to see the HSK 8 Kormoran auxiliary cruiser / commerce raider as a reward or premium ship in game.

HSK+Komoran+1.png

The Kormoran was the biggest auxiliary cruiser used by the Kriegsmarine in World War II. Besides this, it was the only one which was able to sink a major warship in a direct battle. On 19.11.1941, the auxiliary cruiser, disguised as the Dutch merchant ship Straat Malakka, was detected by the Australian CL Sydney . Unaware that the Kormoran was armed, the Sydney close-up to the German ship which opened fire form very close range. The Sydney was badly damaged and on fire when it was last seen by the German ship and sunk after the battle. The Kormoran was so heavily damaged  in this battle that it had to be abandoned and blown up.

dkm-kormoran-hsk-8-1941-auxiliary-steier

Tier: III (changed: was V-VI)

Speed: 18Kn

Concealment: 7km

Primary Armament

• 6 x 15 cm (11km - 13km range, 7-10sec reload) The SK L/45 guns fired a projectile weighing 45.3 kilograms at a muzzle velocity of 835 metres per second.

​Secondary Armament

• 1x 7,5 cm (5km range, 5sec reload)
  • 2 x 3,7 cm (4km range, 3sec reload)

AA defense

• 5 x 2 cm

​Torpedo's

• 6 x 533mm torpedo tubes (8km range, speed 61Kn, 40sec reload), 2 twin deck mounts; 2 single, aft-angled submerged tubes

• 2 x Arado Ar 196 float planes

Maybe the same upgrades as Katori?

Clip of her last batlle.

Edited by Nimrod411

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,304 posts
6,192 battles

Aaaaah a tier 6 ship that can be beaten by a tier 1 or 2 ship...if there was any point in these ships being playable the cimarron would already be playable...

db16bdd6c15b4ef39cee9742b4c57f82.png

Edited by domen3

[SCRUB]
Supertester
3,200 posts
3,242 battles

Aaaaah a tier 6 ship that can be beaten by a tier 1 or 2 ship...if there was any point in these ships being playable the cimarron would already be playable...

db16bdd6c15b4ef39cee9742b4c57f82.png

USS Cimarron was an armed fleet oiler, not a ship designed for actual combat, and just refitted with defensive armament, while Kormoran was purposefully rebuilt as a disguised commerce raider with extensive armament fitted (6x1x 150mm/45 guns, an assortment of 20 and 37mm guns and 2x3x 533mm torpedo tubes). The main problem Kormoran would have is that she'd be slow (18kts), and absolutely unarmoured. 

IMO both Kormoran and Cimarron could hack it as T2 prem ships.

Edited by piritskenyer
  • Cool 1

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,304 posts
6,192 battles

USS Cimarron was an armed fleet oiler, not a ship designed for actual combat, and just refitted with defensive armament, while Kormoran was purposefully rebuilt as a disguised commerce raider with extensive armament fitted (6x1x 150mm/45 guns, an assortment of 20 and 37mm guns and 2x3x 533mm torpedo tubes). The main problem Kormoran would have is that she'd be slow (18kts), and absolutely unarmoured. 

In other words you agree that they would be a waste of time

Beta Tester
4,099 posts
732 battles

As extensive as the Kormoran's armament was, I don't believe it can be said she was purposefully modified for combat against warships. She had to carry enough armament to overwhelm any armed merchantman, or even some armed merchant cruiser (some of which were armed with 6-inch guns), but she was meant to steer clear of warships.

Her spectacular success against Sydney was mainly because of the very close range, at which most shells were hits, even more heavily armoured warships would have likely have taken critical damage from shellfire, and it ensured that a torpedo fired from the raider tagged the cruiser.

This favourable circumstance was mainly caused by the Allies' desire to preserve any potential enemy shipping from scuttling, at a point where they were desperate for all the merchantmen they could get their hands on. A more wary approach would have robbed Kormoran of its chance.

[SCRUB]
Supertester
3,200 posts
3,242 battles

As extensive as the Kormoran's armament was, I don't believe it can be said she was purposefully modified for combat against warships. She had to carry enough armament to overwhelm any armed merchantman, or even some armed merchant cruiser (some of which were armed with 6-inch guns), but she was meant to steer clear of warships.

Her spectacular success against Sydney was mainly because of the very close range, at which most shells were hits, even more heavily armoured warships would have likely have taken critical damage from shellfire, and it ensured that a torpedo fired from the raider tagged the cruiser.

This favourable circumstance was mainly caused by the Allies' desire to preserve any potential enemy shipping from scuttling, at a point where they were desperate for all the merchantmen they could get their hands on. A more wary approach would have robbed Kormoran of its chance.

No, no, not at all, that's why I don't think ships like that could ever be viable at anything higher than T2. the largest purpose-built warship Kormoran could have concievably beaten, would have been a pre-WW1 light cruiser, one like SMS Emden, or HMS Active, but nothing even remotely in their own time period.

In other words you agree that they would be a waste of time

In other words they would hack it in T2 and not anywhere else. If that is a waste of time for you, suit yourself.

Beta Tester
4,099 posts
732 battles

No, no, not at all, that's why I don't think ships like that could ever be viable at anything higher than T2. the largest purpose-built warship Kormoran could have concievably beaten, would have been a pre-WW1 light cruiser, one like SMS Emden, or HMS Active, but nothing even remotely in their own time period.

Yeah, well, that was my point. The walloping she gave Sydney was because of a massive stroke of luck, caused by faulty tactical instructions and, possibly, mistakes made by its commander.

If I may be frank, I don't care much for an auxiliary cruiser, and Kormoran in particular, to be in-game; but if it were... well, I wouldn't leave the game because of that. It's a matter of taste; I'm more about pure warships, other may hold a torch for auxiliary cruisers.

[SCRUB]
Supertester
3,200 posts
3,242 battles

I'm more about pure warships as well ("an egg has no business dancing with rocks"), but the question was asked, and I thought I'd give my opinion. I for one find DAM/DEMs, armed fleet support ships and auxiliary warships interesting as well, just not really viable in the game's parameters. They could be interesting as low tier gift ships or mission ships, but they would be utterly useless in their respective time period against ships that were purposefully built for war and thus have every available advantage on their side.

• Cool 1

Players
211 posts

HSK were merchant ships converted to disguised raiders and not designed to fight other warships only independent MV, not even convoys. On the other hand most navies started the war with huge number of civilian vessels filling numerous patrol/mining/convoying activities. Even at the end many were adapted to fill troop carrying role etc. As such they were attacked quite a lot by enemy warships /cruisers & destroyers ...to say nothing of aircraft.

• Cool 1