Zen71_sniper

Shiratsuyu Capt Skills for Ranked

13 comments in this topic

[OCTO]
Players
629 posts
15,141 battles

Hi, 

Busy preparing Shiratsuyu captain for Ranked and I need an advice. I have spare 4 points, so my choices are:

1. RL which can be very useful for Ranked, to see which cap is contested or

2. Go for AFT and get ability to invisifire.

3. BFT and EM (topup FreeXP for another point) for contesting cap against similar DDs (not DD killers) 

Any advice or thoughts on this?

Regards!

Edited by Zen71_sniper

Players
419 posts
7,354 battles

I have RL, I find it useful. 

I would not take AFT but I am just a bad shot with long shell flight times.

BFT and EM just to have an edge against other IJN DD's, not sure if it worth it.

In the end it is probably personal preference and what matches your playstyle best. I tend to stay at 6-6.5 km range of enemies I plan to torp so AFT is less useful.

Players
587 posts
5,313 battles

My Shiratsuyu has a 16 pt captain (borrowed from Kagero), and has the following skills:

1. Less chance of module damage

2. Expert Marksman (turret turn) & Last Stand

3. Survivability Expert

4. Concealment Expert & RPF

For randoms I'd probably swap RPF out for AFT - but in ranked it's rare to be that far away from enemies, and RPF (plus some thought) can make all the difference. Or I might use the points for Superintendent, or even Vigilance. Note that running without Superintendent, one pretty much has to use all premium consumables to get enough charges (which you should be doing anyway in Ranked for the reload benefits)

Edited by _Flyto_
  • Cool 1

Players
147 posts
3,492 battles

I am currently rank 5 and it is easy to play with shira, it is soooo strong. I use the following captain build:

Preventative maintenance, Last stand, Survivability expert (very important in ranked, each hp counts) and Conselment expert for 10 point captain. 

Then I took RPF, it is insanly strong skill. You are the stealthiest DD in ter 7 (5,8 km consealment) and with this skill U can get early warning from which direction enemy DD is coming. Also U can get info which cap enemy team is rushing etc. So to recap take RPF because it is game changing. 

Later when I will get enough points I will take Torpedo armnament and then with last 2 points Adrenaline rush.

Of couse if you go play rank take all premium consumables in shiratsuyu. Expert marksman is not worth it, if you have RPF you can turn your turrets in advance, superintendent also not worth 3 points, you will have premium consumables and you don't really neeed more then 3 per match (matches are already decided by the time you will be using fourth smoke), demolision expert and basic firing training are not worth it, you are not a gunboat and finally advance firing training also not worth it, cuz you are not a gunboat and good luck hitting ships at 13 km. Even if you do you will do little damage, you are torpedo boat. 

Edited by aleksandrov2
  • Cool 1

[OCTO]
Players
629 posts
15,141 battles

Hi all, 

Thank you all for the input. I did go with RL and it makes all the difference. It saved me already twice from nasty US DDs hiding close to cap. I am currently Rank 10 and my WR in ranked has improved since I went from Fiji and Akatsuki to Shiratsuyu....

Regards!

Players
72 posts
7,672 battles

Which modul configuration on the Shiratsuyu works best for you and why? I maby switch from my Saipan to her.

Players
147 posts
3,492 battles

Which modul configuration on the Shiratsuyu works best for you and why? I maby switch from my Saipan to her.

I asume you are speaking about equipment slots :).

For slot 1: Main Armaments Modification 1

The reason is that it increases your main gun and torpedo tubes survivability. Other upgrades are not very good. You could go for Magazine Modification 1, but in my books it is not worth it, just use detonation flags instead and it is not like you are detonating in Shiratsuyu all the time, it happens extremly rarely.

For slot 2: Aiming Systems Modification 1

Others are not good. You don't need more AA range, you AA is not that strong and it is not like you see a lot of CVs in ranked, they are very rare. Also you don't want to trade your gun reload for faster turret traverse, it is not worth it. 

For slot 3: Propulsion Modification 1

I would rather have my engine undamaged then my rudder so I prefer Propulsion Modification 1. Damage Control System Modification 1 is not worth it since you are not a BB. 

Please note if you get Engine boost modification consumable in ranked or in supercontainer equip it in this slot. It is nice to have engine boost which lasts 3 minutes. 

For slot 4: Steering Gears Modification 2

It is nice to become more manueverable. I would not go for Propulsion Modification 2, since you are not a US DD which have already very good ruddeer shift. Damage Control System Modification 2 isn't valuable since you are not a BB.

Players
587 posts
5,313 battles

I asume you are speaking about equipment slots :).

For slot 1: Main Armaments Modification 1

The reason is that it increases your main gun and torpedo tubes survivability. Other upgrades are not very good. You could go for Magazine Modification 1, but in my books it is not worth it, just use detonation flags instead and it is not like you are detonating in Shiratsuyu all the time, it happens extremly rarely.

For slot 2: Aiming Systems Modification 1

Others are not good. You don't need more AA range, you AA is not that strong and it is not like you see a lot of CVs in ranked, they are very rare. Also you don't want to trade your gun reload for faster turret traverse, it is not worth it. 

For slot 3: Propulsion Modification 1

I would rather have my engine undamaged then my rudder so I prefer Propulsion Modification 1. Damage Control System Modification 1 is not worth it since you are not a BB. 

Please note if you get Engine boost modification consumable in ranked or in supercontainer equip it in this slot. It is nice to have engine boost which lasts 3 minutes. 

For slot 4: Steering Gears Modification 2

It is nice to become more manueverable. I would not go for Propulsion Modification 2, since you are not a US DD which have already very good ruddeer shift. Damage Control System Modification 2 isn't valuable since you are not a BB.

Interesting. I have the Engine Boost mod in here now, but I used to use Steering Mod 1 in slot 3. This is because I use Last Stand, and I find going slowly but wiggling well to be more survivable than going fast but wiggling slowly. But this may be because...

...I use Propulsion Mod 2 in slot 4. I find the rudder shift (when not in Last Stand mode) good enough already, and I value being able to accelerate hard out of smoke.

But both approaches seem like viable options :)

Players
419 posts
7,354 battles

Current Captain skill setup:

Rank 1:Preventive maintenance

Rank 2: Last stand + Adrenaline Rush (considering changing this to Expert Marksman because I can't dodge that well as I have to keep turning my ship to point my turrets at anything)

Rank 3: Survivability Expert + Torpedo Armament Expertise (I picked TAE first and SE second but I recommend SE over TAE if you don't have to make a choice)

Rank 4: Concealment Expert and Radio Location

Equipment slots:

-Main Armaments Modification 1

-Aiming Systems Modification 1 (although I might give Main Battery Modification 2 a try because I'd rather have Adrenaline rush over Expert Marksman)

-Engine Boost Modification 1 (the rank 9 reward)

-Propulsion Modification 2 (accelerating to dodge torpedoes is good)

Players
147 posts
3,492 battles

Current Captain skill setup:

Rank 1:Preventive maintenance

Rank 2: Last stand + Adrenaline Rush (considering changing this to Expert Marksman because I can't dodge that well as I have to keep turning my ship to point my turrets at anything)

Rank 3: Survivability Expert + Torpedo Armament Expertise (I picked TAE first and SE second but I recommend SE over TAE if you don't have to make a choice)

Rank 4: Concealment Expert and Radio Location

Equipment slots:

-Main Armaments Modification 1

-Aiming Systems Modification 1 (although I might give Main Battery Modification 2 a try because I'd rather have Adrenaline rush over Expert Marksman)

-Engine Boost Modification 1 (the rank 9 reward)

-Propulsion Modification 2 (accelerating to dodge torpedoes is good)

Just to say something which I am not sure many new players know: 

Propulsion Modification 2 only gives +50 % bonus when you are accelerating forward from speeds of  0-6 knots. For speeds beyond 6 knots this module doen't do anything!!!! On the other hand Steering Gears Modification 2 always works. 

Players
419 posts
7,354 battles

Apparently I sit in smoke enough that it is worth it, so many close dodges that would have killed me otherwise.

But I never paid much attention to the fact it doesn't work when reversing, good to keep in mind.

edit: I am like the biggest potato ever because I somehow kept confusing the propulsion modification with the speed boost consumable.

Edited by Raziel_Walker

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,108 posts
11,635 battles

Propulsion mod is useful on DDs with ultra fast default rudder, opens up opportunity for sneakier tactics and you can dodge torp walls in an amazing fashion by braking and turning.

I hope that WG guy was taking the p1$$ when he said Shira was over performing and may need nerfs. She's the jewel in the IJN DD range now...

• Cool 1