Sign in to follow this  
Jimbomaxi

Some newbie questions.

20 comments in this topic

[PRT]
Players
83 posts
5,076 battles

Played this game for a couple of months now, and really enjoying it. But, there are some things I dont understand.

1. Why are some of my allied ships showed in pink colour? They are allmost allways green but now and then this pink allies show up. :-)  In my very first battle I mistaked one of those pinkies for a "red" and stardet firing at it all I could. It was NOT very popular...... :-D

2.How do you do to show your stats? Lot of you guys do it here in the forum.

3. Was thinking of become premium member for a month. Did´nt work, "Something went wrong, try later" was the message I recieved.

4. Have decided to go the German BB-line, and the British Cruisers. Have now got "Bayern". I like her, but what dou you more experienced players think of it? My latest cruiser,  "Danae", is great I think. But I guess there are better ships out there?  

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

1. you get pink from doing team damage / team kills

2. 3rd party sites -> https://eu.warships.today/player/522015801/Jimbomaxi

3. There are issues sometimes with certain payment providers, try using another ( paypal? )

4. Low tier RN CL's are 'challenging', line improves with Leander and mostly Fiji. Bayern is not bad, guns lack pen at range due to shell drag. Gneisenau has only six gun's but does well at medium to close ranges ( it has torpedoes ). Bismarck is the best brawler BB ( with secondary build ) and FdG and the tier X are also blessed with great secondaries. 

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,179 posts
11,667 battles

Most of what mtm said. I've known him on the forum a long time now and can really second his post. A.k.a. I'm sure he knows what he's talking about. I'd like to add 1 advice: the RN cruiser line is difficult. If not the most difficult cruiser line ingame. You might want to consider playing other lines first. My advice would be the Japanese line.

Another advice to new players, so you won't make the same mistake I made, don't rush the tiers. Start low, go slow. The game is not, and I can not stress that enough: not getting easier the higher the tier. Move up a lvl when you have the feeling you know that ship inside out. German BB line is IMO (in my opinion) an excellent choice. They are the most brutal BB's ingame. Yet it doesn't hurt to try the other lines as well. If only "know thy foe." Knowledge is king in this game.

Also: when playing more there's 1 survival tip: losing streaks. You will eventually find you have sessions in which suddenly nothing seems to work anymore. Don't worry: you've not become a lousy player overnight. it's just bad luck. We (and certainly I) have them all. When you feel frustrated: just quit and play another day.

Last: never ever hesitate to post a question on this forum. The only stupid question is the 1 you're not asking. You'll find a very benign, helpful and friendly community here. F.e. your question has been asked a million times. Doesn't matter: we're gladly answer them 1 million and 1 times. It's not being appreciated when people start whining like: "oh, I'm so good and the rest of the team sucks." Yes there are really bad players around but always remember: we are all human beings. After my 5.3 k battles I still make mistakes beyond comprehension. "Ferry, you didn't even do that in your Eerie. What the heck were you THINKING?!" A mistake is never wasted when you learn from it. (-; I always keep in mind all players here share the same psychosis: we all love wargames, brutal vessels with ridiculous guns and try to outwit the "enemy." But pls remember: the reds are humans as well (in 99,9% of the cases). Look at my signature and you'll know what I mean!

Now: get out there captain! Kick @ss and chew bubblegum. Even when you're out of gum! Make us proud and shoot the living daylights out of us one day. Really looking forward to that moment!

• Cool 2

[PRT]
Players
83 posts
5,076 battles

Ferry_25

Many thanks for all the good advise.

I have reached the level where I can play ranked battles now, but haven´t started doing that yet. Havn´t got any tier VII ship yet, and I´m not in a hurry. :-)

Mostly play my German BBs Nassau, Kaiser, König, and Bayern collecting free XPs so that I will be able to get the Bayern B-version.

Sold all ships ecxept the German and British, but I will take your advice, and get a japanese ship and see where it leads.

Onve again, many thanks Ferry_25

This is how I´m doing so far:dark.png

Edited by Jimbomaxi
  • Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,179 posts
11,667 battles

Wow. I feel humbled by your kind response! As far as my challenged knowlegde of numbers is going IMO you're doing very well. Better than I did. And probably still doing.:teethhappy: I'll leave that to the stat-ologists around here. I highly like Konig! Bayern is a lady who you need to learn to love. The ridiculous big shells you're shooting needs a little different handling: instead of hunting down full broadside cruisers, the penetration is actually better when they're slightly angled when shooting AP. Please: ask if you don't know what I'm talking about! I was @ tier 6 when I finally found out what a citadel is....

[PRT]
Players
83 posts
5,076 battles

Wow. I feel humbled by your kind response! As far as my challenged knowlegde of numbers is going IMO you're doing very well. Better than I did. And probably still doing.:teethhappy: I'll leave that to the stat-ologists around here. I highly like Konig! Bayern is a lady who you need to learn to love. The ridiculous big shells you're shooting needs a little different handling: instead of hunting down full broadside cruisers, the penetration is actually better when they're slightly angled when shooting AP. Please: ask if you don't know what I'm talking about! I was @ tier 6 when I finally found out what a citadel is....

Yes, noticed the Bayern is a most unwilling lady when it comes to manouverability. :B But it got a little bit better when i mounted the stornger engine. And hopefully, The B-version will make it even better. When it comes to firing the guns playing BBs, I just try to find a good place on the map, were the main guns cover as much as possible of the area I´m in, without risking the ship in vain. And then shoot att everything that gets in range.Took some time to learn not to rush in an get killed ammediatly.  About them WR and WTR figures, (statistics) have no clue what they mean....  But I do know what the Citadel is situated on the ships. ...:teethhappy:

[NED]
Players
4,179 posts
11,667 battles

WR is winrate: IMO an overestimated stat which calculate the number of victories in which you were present. WTR I don't really know what that means exactly. AFAIK some sort of summary of WR, amount of damage, shipwrecks and general XP. Let the stat-ologs fill me in on that 1.

1 advice: B hulls are more important than ship speeds. And the closer you manage to get with German BB's the more accurate they fire. I know: that goes for all ships but especially for Ger BB's.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

WR is everything, it's the goal of the game is it not. 

WTR is 50% damage, 25% win rate and 25% something else ( k/d? plane kills? idk.. ). It's explained on the page but icba to go and copy paste it now. 

• Cool 1

[PRT]
Players
83 posts
5,076 battles

WR is everything, it's the goal of the game is it not. 

WTR is 50% damage, 25% win rate and 25% something else ( k/d? plane kills? idk.. ). It's explained on the page but icba to go and copy paste it now. 

Thanks for the answers guys! :) Does WR include co op-battles? Much easier to be a part of the winning team there, I think.  If so, to get a decent WR as a newbie, playing random battles is no good idea then? But it is much more fun I think. Got the new Bayern (B-version) yesterday. Big difference if compared to the stockversion. Can take more punishment, very valuable for a newbie.  AA is worh its name on the B-version, and the secundary artillery keep the DDs far away,

so there is a chance to avoid their torpedo attacks in time. Oh, and the main artillery has a better range, so now I´m able to miss targets att a 16 km distance. Earlier I missed them at a bit shorter range. :teethhappy:  I Like Bayern B very much. 

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

Random and coop is not the same mode, you can switch between statistics in your profile using the dropdown. And it's a good thing, I don't think I would have 100% wr in Randoms but I do in coop :hiding:

Bayern secondaries are not worth much, I wouldn't rely on those against DD's. Rely on positioning and your main guns when really needed, and try to stick with some cruisers in general. Bayern was a nice BB when I tested her, the next BB line I will start for sure will be GE ( ... or maybe USN, NCal and upcoming Alabama are tempting :hiding: ). 

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,179 posts
11,667 battles

I added you to my contactlist in port. If you like maybe we can division a couple of matches? Gladly take my Bayern out for a spell! Then we can both miss at 16 km!

• Cool 1

[PRT]
Players
83 posts
5,076 battles

I added you to my contactlist in port. If you like maybe we can division a couple of matches? Gladly take my Bayern out for a spell! Then we can both miss at 16 km!

mtm 78 No the secondarys is far from perfect, but I noticed it hit a persuing DD several times and made him launch his torpedoes from longer range. Perhaps just lucky?

Haha Ferry, yes why not? That would be fun! :honoring: Anyway, guys, I´ll keep practicing with the Bayern, and we´ll see what she can do in the habds of a newbie.

[PRT]
Players
83 posts
5,076 battles

mtm78 and Ferry_25

Have now tested the limits of Bayern in some battles. She does NOT survive a meeting all alone meeting 5 torpedocruisers in islandsoúrrounded waters, and she does NOT survive a fight toe to toe close range to  Tirpitz. :teethhappy: But otherwise she´s doing fine. Took out a cruiser who angeled (?) tried to get away from 13 kilometers with one salvo. Lucky shot of course, but fun.:teethhappy:  

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

Glad to see you're enjoying the game. Remember, having fun is what is the most important :honoring:

• Cool 1

[PRT]
Players
83 posts
5,076 battles

Once again thanks a lot for all the good adwise lads. Feel a little better prepaired to go cruiserhunting now. :D Started a premium account today for a month. Havn´t payed a penny so far, but realize it could be a good idea supporting the game. 

One last question: Tried to put  you on my contactlist Ferry_25, but how do I do it? Tried rightklicking and so on, but no searchfield for other players show up.

See you on the high seas fellows!

[NED]
Players
4,179 posts
11,667 battles

Mtm: you better start practicing hard, like real hard. I've div-ed with OP tonight. I can tell you 1 thing: he's a natural talent. Took lower tiers of course but no seal protection because of me. I can say: he did a hell of a job! When he's reaching the t10's and you meet him... Just go, cry for your mothers help and beg for mercy. You might survive his first salvo! Thanks Jimbo It was a real honor fighting with you! Hope to do that a lot more often. :izmena::honoring:

• Cool 1

[PRT]
Players
83 posts
5,076 battles

Mtm: you better start practicing hard, like real hard. I've div-ed with OP tonight. I can tell you 1 thing: he's a natural talent. Took lower tiers of course but no seal protection because of me. I can say: he did a hell of a job! When he's reaching the t10's and you meet him... Just go, cry for your mothers help and beg for mercy. You might survive his first salvo! Thanks Jimbo It was a real honor fighting with you! Hope to do that a lot more often. :izmena::honoring:

Ferry, thanks a lot for the divisionfigts yesterday. It was really really funny, and I learned a lot from you. I would feel real honored if you would like to divisionplay in the future too. Once again, thanks a lot! :honoring:
  • Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,179 posts
11,667 battles

Ferry, thanks a lot for the divisionfigts yesterday. It was really really funny, and I learned a lot from you. I would feel real honored if you would like to divisionplay in the future too. Once again, thanks a lot! :honoring:

The honor was mine my friend!

• Cool 1

Players
1 post
189 battles

On an unrelated, but fitting topic, anyone knows where is the default port screen setting? It keeps opening Exterior tab whenever the port loads, which is not critical, but rather annoying.

Sign in to follow this