You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
gizaman

How to choose ships in division play.

27 comments in this topic

[-DKBG]
Beta Tester
208 posts

Hi

It happends that I play with 2 friends in division.

What I am asking is there any selection of the three ships that makes better sense in a team play oriented game style.

Is 3 of the same class best? What ships works best together?

Do people pick ships at random to play together or do they pick ones that complement or enhances each others strengths?

• Cool 1

[DREAD]
Players
453 posts
7,651 battles

Speaking solely for myself, I just ask them what tier they want to play, and I grab a boat of the relevant level that I enjoy playing.

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Beta Tester
1,222 posts
7,229 battles

I play 3 player divisions most nights and find this:

3 dds and your mostly bottom of tier usually by 2 and you usually have to split up so cant support each other that well

1 cruiser and 2 dds works really well

1bb 1cruiser 1 dd are usually the best as it allows you to work together well as a group that can tank, spot and protect from carriers if you take the right cruiser

I don't division much with carriers so cant really comment on that

you need to accept that sometimes no mater what you take your gonna have to split up sometimes as the game evolves

• Cool 1

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts

Well, I can only speak for me and my mates: Normally, one of us determines the tier and the rest has free choice what ship to take.

Sometimes we have "special" rules (like Warspite rule = everyone takes the Warspite or Mikasa division in Co-op) but all in all everyone chooses the ship of the appropriate tier (we usually don't play in "fail divisions) he wants.

Of course when someone takes a tier 7 CV for example, the others might take ships like the Atlanta with good AA. But there is no rule for us we have to follow at all times.

Weekend Tester
477 posts
4,742 battles

Having 3 man DD or CA division can mean that best action for team is to split up, so we usually somewhat avoid those. Ofcourse you could create super carry divs with optimal ships, but meh, where's the fun.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
7,298 posts
9,535 battles

Three ships of the same class is just asking for matchmaking to go bonkers. Do not recommend. Only exception is triple DD division, but only because that is hilarious to play.

Typically you want to create synergy between the ships, so diversifying the classes is incredibly helpful, that way you can compensate for a ship's weaknesses or amplify its strengths.

[-5D2-]
Players
492 posts
3,644 battles

3 Minotaurs :trollface: I can usually hear the groans of the enemy through the PC. But usually we'll go DD and 2 cruisers or DD, cruiser and BB. The one thing people least expect is a Kurfurst pushing hard with a cruiser in tow. Gets them everytime.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,298 posts
9,535 battles

3 Minotaurs :trollface: I can usually hear the groans of the enemy through the PC. But usually we'll go DD and 2 cruisers or DD, cruiser and BB. The one thing people least expect is a Kurfurst pushing hard with a cruiser in tow. Gets them everytime.

To be fair, ANY battleship actually pushing is about as common as seeing an invisible unicorn.

• Cool 4

Players
885 posts
7,313 battles

We've enjoyed running something as diverse as BB + CL + DD, played as a BB with screening ships. Pretty much the only surefire way to guarantee that your little guys don't YOLO in early game and will be there for the big guys when needed.

[-5D2-]
Players
492 posts
3,644 battles

To be fair, ANY battleship actually pushing is about as common as seeing an invisible unicorn.

They never expect it. I fell victim to this couple nights ago in Hotspot I think it is (map with the exploded island area in the centre). Was sitting at C cap pinned by a Des Moines using radar. Yamato rolled into B in the middle, 6km away... :amazed:

Best BB play I have ever seen yet. Eating torps and creating citadels like a boss. Enough to say my poor Minotaur bought it fairly quickly. :teethhappy:

• Cool 1

Players
6,008 posts
7,043 battles

In my opinion - 3 BBs is worst thing you can do. Other combinations are not bad.

3 BBs works in only one way - you need to push as hard as you can. Tank and push. Push and tank. That works quite good.

But in the most games when you see 3 BBs you know that they won't do much.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
7,298 posts
9,535 battles

In my opinion - 3 BBs is worst thing you can do. Other combinations are not bad.

3 BBs works in only one way - you need to push as hard as you can. Tank and push. Push and tank. That works quite good.

But in the most games when you see 3 BBs you know that they won't do much.

This. The only way to play a triple BB division is to hit 'W' four times at the start of battle and then never touch the 'S' button throughout the entire game. Then hope the rest of your team has enough guts to jump into the breach that your BB division is crashing into the enemy lines. If they don't, you die (though you die well and spectacularily). If they do, you steamroll your entire flank.

Triple cruiser division however is just asking MM to throw you into a BB heavy game to have the crap shelled out of you. It can work pretty well depending on the map but it's still quite challenging, particularily when MM throws you a curveball.

Players
748 posts
11,447 battles

Take a super unicorn CV in your team and 2 good AA ships, like Des moines and Montana or Atlanta and Gneisenau. whatever he will carry.

Profit.

In a more serious note usually CV, good AA BB and a DD or AA cruiser can give some nice results.

Example: Strike Lexington, North Carolina and Kutiezov.

Or BBs with DDs, the problem of cruisers is they can be RNGdeleted too easily.

When division just play for fun, 3 Bismarcks is just hilarious, rush the middle of two brothers for some chat rage and then coordinate hydro and engage everybody triying to reset. Also sneaky BBs supporting DDs is amazing, oh this Atago want to bully my Benson, lets give him 18 406mms shells. Then you have the troll divisions, with DDs and RN CLs so basically permasmoke or Shiratsuyu for 48 torps in a nice wall.

[WOTN]
Players
141 posts
7,247 battles

1 gearing and 2 Minotaurs is a very good option. The DD smokes into cap and Minotaurs follow. If there is enemy DDs trying to contest the cap they will be in for a surprise :) A DD in 3 man division is allways a good thing.

[_GG_]
Weekend Tester
261 posts
2,302 battles

3 Shimakazes should be fun.. Skill walls like no one has ever seen.. :trollface:

[NED]
Players
4,193 posts
11,706 battles

Excellent question OP. + 1 just for that. Assuming a 3div there's always 1 basic "rule." Take the same tier. Please. There are only 1 or 2 exceptions. F.e. I once took a fully AA specced Baltimore (9) with my div mate who took a Midway (10). my other friend got his Des Moines (half AA specced). That worked perfectly. Other than that I cannot think of any more exceptions.

For the rest: take what you like. My advice is to try combining the most optimal combo's in types and lines. Though there's never a "guaranteed victory combo" we always let 1 player pick his ship and the other 2 adept to that. F.e. when I chose Shiratsuyu which I'm grinding, my friends tempt to pick a Sims and a Atlanta for the gun support. That's IMO a quite scary combo. If available in your team it's always a good choice to take out at least 1 premium ship in the division. A 3 DD team can do wonders if you're coordinating a wolfpack strategy. DD, BB, CA can work very well. It's all trial and error. And like I said: there's no "perfect, with this we will guaranteed" combo. You're always depending on MM, RNG and the rest of the team. Sometimes the situation forces you to split up the division in battle. The huge advantage in a division is the key to warfare: communication.

[TFZ]
Players
59 posts
5,168 battles

I find that the best division teams have no more than 1 BB or 2 DD and to avoid 3 CL/CA; it is not that other combinations can't work but merely that in my personal experience this gives your division the widest spectrum of options.

If you are voice chat with each other, it can also be a very good idea to assign someone as the commander who takes up the job of designating primary targets, the plan in general and keeps an eye on how the entire battle goes and how the division can apply its resources best possible towards a team victory.

finally, if you are not all of the same tier it is a good idea to make sure that the person of the lower tier understand the limitation of the choice he/she makes and that this choice can quite easily ensure that that ship will have a more supportive role than an active and aggressive role.

Beta Tester
1,500 posts
4,666 battles

I tend to avoid a single class joining when divisioning. Excepions include, but are not necessarely limited to: Ark.Beta and St.Louis (whrn the urge to go out clubbin' strikes after few failed battles).

We decide the tier and pick what a) needs doubles or grinding.. Or just feels good.

Players
6,008 posts
7,043 battles

Take a super unicorn CV in your team and 2 good AA ships, like Des moines and Montana or Atlanta and Gneisenau. whatever he will carry.

Profit.

I've seen many papedipupi's game and it is not that easy :teethhappy:

Once he was in my team in CV tier X, and my division was tier VIII. First order to my div - "just don't die!". And it was a very close game.

[IRQ]
Players
2,727 posts
6,638 battles

The only time you should ever consider picking a tier lower is if you know you can carry the weight of a ship a tier higher, no matter what MM throws your way. I've personally only done that with IJN DDs, as they're less tier sensitive than all other ships. In particular I've never kept a T3 ship, so I've always picked Umikaze for that tier. Which was more fun when you could still meet T5 ships, as I found I got a better performance at those tiers than at equal tier. But that's a special case. Also, some T9 ships perform just as or almost as well as the T10 ships. Sometimes with somewhat different benefits. Destroyers are smaller, for instance. Some cruisers can handle themselves equally well. Not quite so sure about battleships, but at least you're still only going to get one tier higher ships aiming your direction.

Any combination of ship works, but you need to consider the strategy for that particular set of ships.

If you pick all three of the same type, you're going to have to push hard regardless of what you pick. Which is also the main benefit of that setup, since you have a hopefully coordinated force of at least three ships. That can often push through most enemies, assuming you're not heavily outnumbered. It's also, as mentioned, fun for troll divisions.

If you have a battleships and one or two smaller ships, a fast battleship works better, as you can keep up better, and keep the division collected. It doesn't matter if it becomes a standard snipe battle, though.

If you have a cruiser or two and a destroyer, you probably want a stealthy destroyer who can spot other destroyers for the cruisers to delete.

A carrier and a good AA ship or two is a good combo. The carrier forces a carrier on the enemy team, which also makes the AA ship able to use her strength better. If you have two AA cruisers and a carrier, it's a good idea to split the cruisers up, to cover more area.

[H_FAN]
Players
1,943 posts
22,536 battles

Choose ships that suits your playstyle and consider how you like to play beforehand. A random choice is not good. It is not a good idea to combine a fast BB w a slow BB because you then probably have to split up. Balanced combination work well. I do not play divisons but see it more from an opponents view or as a part of your team. Minotaurs working w Gearing is difficult to counter. Belfasts working together.

Scharnhorst/Gneisenau mixed (Bis/Tirp) or two of each that is interesting? What is best?

I am thinking that a CV/yama/Zao is difficult to counter.

The question is this: Do you play only for fun together or is it to maximize effiency? Or some other reason like Valentines mission where we had to win 5 games in division to fix the mission. Then I have to play a dynamic division but we did not choose anything other than tier. 

One thing also is that I Think but seldom sees is that the division should communicate more with rest of the team about their intentions. That is more important when you are 25% of the team than playing yourself.

Especially if you drive odd considering the spawn. You might make it nearly impossible for the rest of the team to plan smartly. A good division can help tremendously a poor driven division can make the game an uphill struggle.

Especially if you are singletypedivisions.

Comment to the post taking 3 Bismarcks into the channel at two Brothers. I admit it can be fun for you in a beerdrinking late  friday game, but not only leads many of these forays to disaster but even if it somehow does not you have deprived the remaining team more or less the ability any chance of offensive action. You deserve the chatrage whether you succeed to win or not. It will just be a game for the rest to sit out and watch your manouver as most of the heavy striking power has gone. Hope I got you in the enemy team not mine. It can be really interesting for us to counter:playing:.

[__]
Beta Tester
734 posts
1,694 battles

with the guys I usually division with our rule is simple, match the tier. we don't take the game seriously so as you can expect there is much bemusement over our ship selections.