You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Boris_MNE

CVs in ranked games

17 comments in this topic

[WGP2W]
1,444 posts
10,011 battles

Guys,

I am intrested to hear your feedback about ranked games and cvs.

Generally I don't have problems with Saipan or Hiry, they can be competitive.
Atm , I am rank 10 and whenever I was in same team as Ranger versus Hiryu/Saipan I lost that game.

Now , is there anyone who had similar situations?
Simply, Ranger can not match to anyone...  And the best thing is when I see ranger w/o fighters. I know instantly that Hiry is going to wipe that poor carrier.

So questions would be:

1) How usually end your games with Ranger?
2) Did you notice harder game if your team had Ranger?

3) Is it worse in your opinion if Ranger is 2-0-2 or 0-1-3 for ranked games ?

Please join discussion, maybe WG see what they made with ranked games tier 7 :)
Cheers

Edited by Boris_MNE

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
926 posts
11,630 battles

I had some games with a strike ranger on my or enemy team .. Ranger is absolutely devastating if it can strike something, otherwise its quite limited. If enemy has for example AS Saipan Ranger can do basically nothing, if enemy doesnt really bother than its one-run-one-kill. Already seen Rangers with 4-5 kills in ranked, mostly because enemy CV did a mistake in the beginning, got spotted and deleted in the first minutes. After that Ranger had free paly and just sank the entire team enemy team. Most useless thing you can play in ranked is AS Ranger thou .. 

So all in all its situational and requires a lot of teamplay to make it work.

[CSF]
Players
481 posts
4,871 battles

Funny thing is that I'd take the 1/1/1 Ranger in rakned, if I was to take a CV there. If you can strife decently you can beat Hirus fighters quite easily and your dot potential makes up for the one DB squadron.

[WGP2W]
1,444 posts
10,011 battles

I run myself Hiryu 2-2-2... ranger 1-1-1 would not be able to do anything as I have upgrades for fighter hp and louadout etc.(Upgrade 2, i never use 15% servicing time faster and that allows me to handle some fighters)

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,155 posts
10,966 battles

It's a known problem. Ranger is rubbish compared to competition - and that just shows in Ranked. What you need in Ranked is

1. Damage

2. Spotting

3. Team protection

Unless the enemy CV f*cks up royally, you just CAN'T make up for the other two with just one of them - and Ranger basically sacrifices damage to protect team and spot a little or it gives up team protection and most of spotting potential to deal damage (that it can't even really do since ships keep together much better, AA on this tier is decent AND enemy CV has less ships to protect).

Result?

Saipan win% in this season off Ranked so far: 55,0%

Hiryu win%: 52,78%

Ranger win%: 43,08%

Ranger is - by far - the worst performing ship in Ranked. Second worst, Yorck, has 47,11%

So yeah, OP, it's not just your impression. The stats clearly support your feelings: assuming equal skill of both CV players, Ranger is a burden for his team, not an asset. And seeing how small teams and importance of spotting in Ranked make carriers so influential... the burden is heavy.

Of course, skill in CVs still trumps ship strengths so really good Ranger players probably still can get good results, especailly when meeting CV potatoes. But the ship doesn't really help them in doind that.

Edited by eliastion
  • Cool 1

[UTW]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,894 posts
3,177 battles

I Play Saipan and just arrived rank 10. And from my experience, I noticed that my Saipan 2/2/0 never had problems against any Rangers, some of them were strike, it's a clear sky for sure. Against an air sup one, it's rather complicated but I can defend myself, I often finish with 30/40 planes kills on him, and one or two kills. The only things that root my life are Saipan 3/0/1 and Hiryuu 3/1/2. Since they've 3 fighters squadrons, I can't fix them all. For me, seeing a Ranger in front of me is a good start for the win. 

Players
1,816 posts
10,117 battles

I run myself Hiryu 2-2-2... ranger 1-1-1 would not be able to do anything as I have upgrades for fighter hp and louadout etc.(Upgrade 2, i never use 15% servicing time faster and that allows me to handle some fighters)

I feel that a well played 1/1/1 Ranger would still be a better option. Sure Hiryu has 2 squadrons of fighters but if u use both to lock down his fighters his tb and db squad has 1 less thing to worry abt and can try to deal damage. A 2/0/2 Ranger cant do the same amount of damage while a 0/1/2 (or 3?) Is basically duck hunting for the Hiryu. Moreover at least up till the Ranger i think the 1/1/1 loadout is still viable, especially with all the fighter upgrades and a captain who knows what he's doing.

Players
533 posts
2,213 battles

Ive played against rangers and they really seem to struggle, im not sure what set up they were using but they had fighters in most cases. A couple of them i have actually ended up chasing the carrier and sinking him since for some reason a huge amount of carrier players just park up which i never understand. I think it looks like the hardest to play. However i have never had a carrier on my team only when i played it. Seems they are super rare so far for me in ranked. 

Beta Tester
33 posts
1,688 battles

TBH I click out of ranked cue if I see CV in waiting list. In 7v7 on these small maps CV is just too powerful. If you are lucky to have the better skilled CV player you win, if not you lose. I'd rather play a game where I can influence the battle myself.

Players
748 posts
11,447 battles

TBH I click out of ranked cue if I see CV in waiting list. In 7v7 on these small maps CV is just too powerful. If you are lucky to have the better skilled CV player you win, if not you lose. I'd rather play a game where I can influence the battle myself.

You click out to take a Gneisenau AA especced right? :trollface:

[BRTMN]
Alpha Tester
817 posts
11,309 battles

I have played the Hiryu a bit in ranked and the 1 1 1 Ranger is almost pointless. Its strike ability is so much less than the Hiryu that it is sad. If strike layout, never seems to work. Generally most Hiryu can defeat the Ranger and have a great battle against the ships. Another Hiryu is a real enemy.

[HAVEN]
Players
719 posts
6,164 battles

I started at R13 and used my Belfast in which i seem to be [edited]useless in so i swapped about and ended up using my Saipan and went on a 9 match win streak so pretty much it has been my main ship for ranked so far.

I reached R8 but been unable to progress any further and queue times are taking the piss.

I use the DB setup because it is always a hit but around R8/9 AA is alot more powerful and teams hug each other alot more, add in the times where my team has no belfasts and atlantas they have 3 complete with a AA spec gnei then i am done for and the enemy CV no matter what it is has the upperhand.

MM seems to be the main problem now, everything has more AA and if you are matched against it more then you will lose if your team cannot remove the threats and this season contains more smoke and island hugging than before.

[IDDQD]
Players
156 posts
7,470 battles

there are pretty much just 2 setups that can counter anything

3/0/1 Saipan

3/1/2 Hiryu

if i was unicum CV, i would take the Hiryu  

so, if its pretty much AS vs AS, job is:

-positioning (dont get spotted and killed)

-spotting ships/torps

-baiting enemy planes over your AA to get the upper hand

-preventing TBs/DBs to deal damage (every little counts)

in other words, boring as hell...but i am crap at DDs/CAs 

Players
1,662 posts
12,265 battles

In yesterday's ranked games, I only once had a Saipan in my team. In all other games that involved CVs, I had Rangers on the green side - most 2-0-2, two 1-1-1, and one 0-1-3

The 2-0-2 were not too shabby. They were in no way able to carry anything but they gave some nice support (for a Ranger). The 1-1-1 setup, however, is simply not up to the task no matter which CV it faces. Aside from the stock Colorados that went off to hunt the enemy CV, the 1-1-1 Rangers were the most useless ships in our fleet. Heck, I would even prefer 0-1-3 over that. But ultimately I prefer having a Saipan or Hiryu on my side of course...

Players
2,183 posts
3,836 battles

So questions would be:

1) How usually end your games with Ranger?

Dont know. I dont play ranked with mine Ranger but I did quit from playing CV's in general because I run into Air Supperiority preaks to offen which I hate.

Probably there is more players with similar opinion to mine, and think its not worth to play even low player amount ranked.

[BONE]
Players
240 posts
4,733 battles

I played 8 games in 202 Ranger in this season and I got 6W2L so far, which is not too bad. Playing 202 is simple: Give hell to the enemy CV, learn to strafe, since buffed up US FT will melt any squad strafing from ANY direction.

And go bomb large targets/scout in the DB.

Life is fairly straight forward and stress free.

Funny enough, I can't make Hiryu work this season, and I am not a bad Hiryu player... It seems that the AA this season make life too difficult for T6 TB of Hiryu... Perhaps I meet Alanta too often....

[BANG]
Players
11 posts
6,154 battles

Saipan Cpt here

Only used the 3,0,1 in ranked.

In my view I'm purely there to make life a misery for the enemy CV, and spot
Any DB damage I can do is a bonus, usually to get the DDs

With regards to Ranger - If he's running Full Strike, I laugh, strafe, laugh, repeat
                                      - Air Superiority, I'll be a bit more careful
                                      - Not run into a Standard 1,1,1 Ranger in Ranked at all

Hiryu's aren't much of a threat with 2,2,2 either
With 3,1,2 a little more so, if they bait

Just my thoughts

Edited by TillyB