Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Mahaaret

HE or AP

9 comments in this topic

Weekend Tester
477 posts
4,742 battles

In shira you generally dont use AP at anything. I'd only shoot AP at side of enemy cruiser at very close range (under 5km or so), but that is place where your shira should never be in the first place.

• Cool 2

Players
7 posts

In shira you generally dont use AP at anything. I'd only shoot AP at side of enemy cruiser at very close range (under 5km or so), but that is place where your shira should never be in the first place.

Thank you
  • Cool 1

Players
3,577 posts
7,346 battles

Khabarovsk and Gearing due to their above average plating thickness take massive AP damage from DD guns when showing broadside. Otherwise paper cruisers at uncomfortably close range and all-or-nothing schemed battleship at full broadside are viable targets. Everywhere else -> HE.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,775 posts
10,685 battles

AP is an option against DDs at close ranges when they show broadside to bring all their guns to bear, but...

- against USN DDs your main advantage is that your guns have better performance over distance

- against Kiev you don't fire at all (you want to spot them so someone else hills them for you)

- against Błyskawica and Leningrad, if you can't outspot them (as with kiev) your only chance is to kite them, forcing them to remain bow-on towards you or risk falling out of your spotting distance (you have great camo when not firing!)

Basically, you shouldn't really find yourself in many situations where AP would be a viable option because your targets are likely to be angled or too far - and more often than not reliability of HE will trump higher possible alpha on AP. I think I used AP maybe three times in Ranked on Shiratsuyu so far? I might not be the best example to follow (my performance is hardly stellar ;) ) but I just don't really feel the need of switching to AP and it's not like I don't appreciate AP - my favourite DD in Randoms right now is Akizuki that fires AP on EVERYTHING :P 

[SLAPP]
Community Contributor
530 posts
12,402 battles

Khabarovsk and Gearing due to their above average plating thickness take massive AP damage from DD guns when showing broadside. Otherwise paper cruisers at uncomfortably close range and all-or-nothing schemed battleship at full broadside are viable targets. Everywhere else -> HE.

MM says no Shiras in T10 games, thank you very much

[NED]
Players
4,194 posts
11,706 battles

I can second this. Had just the thing tonight: a full broadside Fiji, who caught me with my pants down (well played by him/ her) at 5 km distance. Now i am used to scoring HE citadels on those sorry excuses for ships in that situation only not with Shira. Switched to AP: Nope. Did hit but not even scratching it's paint! IMO AP is utterly useless in THIS DD.

Players
3,577 posts
7,346 battles

View PostPanocek, on 16 February 2017 - 01:01 PM, said:

MM says no Shiras in T10 games, thank you very much

All IJN DDs past tier 6 use the same 127mm guns, with exception being Akizuki.

• Cool 1

[IRQ]
Players
2,731 posts
6,638 battles

IJN DDs have good HE, and while it's not as great as it used to be, it's still better than AP in almost all cases. Against other DDs, getting fires and module damage is a good benefit. For cruisers showing broadside at close range, I don't really find the fire rate to be high enough to really gain that much from AP. It's not like the higher tier USN or SN DDs that can sometimes out-damage cruisers at close range (just be wary of having less health than CAs).

Sign in to follow this