200Years

Use buffered stream to read/write files.

10 comments in this topic

Players
75 posts

I find this game loads very slow, I wonder if this game is using a buffered reader/writer to read/write files, if not, try it out !

Find a nice class on the internet somewhere that implemented it, this will make a huge difference if it's not already used !

Players
6,008 posts
7,043 battles

I find this game loads very slow, I wonder if this game is using a buffered reader/writer to read/write files, if not, try it out !

Find a nice class on the internet somewhere that implemented it, this will make a huge difference if it's not already used !

I like when people say to the dev team that programming is easy and they are just trash and do not know what to do thier job.

You really think that Lesta is bunch of school boys that are programming for fun?

Players
75 posts

I like when people say to the dev team that programming is easy and they are just trash and do not know what to do thier job.

You really think that Lesta is bunch of school boys that are programming for fun?

I program in Delphi, and yes in Delphi it's very easy to replace a TStream with a TBufferedStream ! :)

Perhaps in C++ it's also easy, or perhaps python (though I would be surprised if it does not already use it) or whatever language they use.

They way you interpret makes it pretty obvious to me that you don't program yourself and interpret it a bit negatively ! ;)

What I wrote is simply experience with programming and it's not something that is very obvious.

Players
6,008 posts
7,043 battles

I program in Delphi, and yes in Delphi it's very easy to replace a TStream with a TBufferedStream ! :)

Perhaps in C++ it's also easy, or perhaps python (though I would be surprised if it does not already use it) or whatever language they use.

They way you interpret makes it pretty obvious to me that you don't program yourself and interpret it a bit negatively ! ;)

What I wrote is simply experience with programming and it's not something that is very obvious.

So in my opinion if you do some programming you should be aware that this game is not like batch file or 1000line code.

And you should be aware that making a minimal change is not easy like lets open the notepad and rewrite that line.

So still I am not convinced that you found a solution to laggy port or long loading times.

Cheers

Players
75 posts

So in my opinion if you do some programming you should be aware that this game is not like batch file or 1000line code.

And you should be aware that making a minimal change is not easy like lets open the notepad and rewrite that line.

So still I am not convinced that you found a solution to laggy port or long loading times.

Cheers

Fine, time for some technical explaining then.

Let's assume the developers are unaware of the latency/lag involved with calling windows api which concerns/has to do with file i/o. Just merely calling these api's can add lag/latency up to 50 milliseconds because of user space to kernel space transcending/switching. If this game is calling a lot of i/o file api's this will add tremendous lag/latency which could be what we are seeing right now, especially for harddisks which need to serialize all the input/output every time, command stream and god knows what else.

Now that the game has compressed the files into bigger files as I adviced some time ago, it should now be ripe for buffering. The buffering, which means loading more data into memory than was actually requested will cause the next i/o's to happen from memory itself instead of going through the expensive api/s again and again and again. Especially if many seeks and tiny little reads/writes are done. This game has many many many many many littles files  (now compressed/packed into bigger files). So there is a very good chance that the way it is currently reading files is inefficient. Reading many little files from buffers will be much much much faster.

(There could actually already be some evidence for this, if SSD loads faster, then it could already prove this hypothesis, this at least proves that the loading bottlenecked is not caused by slow cpu.).

Edited by 200Years

Players
6,008 posts
7,043 battles

Fine, time for some technical explaining then.

I'm not against your knowledge.

I just don't believe that Lesta is not aware how to make this game faster.

Players
75 posts

I'm not against your knowledge.

I just don't believe that Lesta is not aware how to make this game faster.

You believe he is an all knowing God or something ? And who is this Lesta character ? ;)

Players
6,008 posts
7,043 battles

And who is this Lesta character ? ;)

The devs that is making the game for Wargaming.

And maybe you're right. Kopernik, Newton, Galileo, Einstain - they also undermine the reality.

Players
75 posts

Also if these are the same guys that created the menu than LOL.

I'd rather take an MS-DOS screen then the crap that it is RIGHT NOW ! LOL.

Talk about programming skill ?! BLEH :P ;)

Edited by 200Years