You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
albinbino

Funny and sad game situations shown with map screenshots.

1,677 comments in this topic

[TTT]
[TTT]
Sailing Hamster, Players, Privateer
3,776 posts
15,760 battles

Yep, recently i had a discussion about it watching one stream, and it seems no one but me uses this :P It's like using the map in the terrain in real life for me. I like to see things on the map in the same orientation as i see them in the general view, so the ship/island in front of me is also in front of me at the map.

Actually stable map confuses me and i have to 'rotate' it with all angles in mind anyway... i don't know if it's some deep noobism or am i just weird old geographer and that's how my brain works :P

You know, I had a few discussions of that kind... the only people using the "turn map the way I am facing now" I know of are all women...

[TTT]
[TTT]
Sailing Hamster, Players, Privateer
3,776 posts
15,760 battles

Or people who actually use maps a lot ;) http://www.land-navigation.com/orient-a-map.html

I actually do use maps a lot, but at the same time I have to communicate with them. That's why I can't turn the map nilly willy, it'd throw off everybody else.

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles

It's his own fault, he didn't cap :P

A few days ago I had a funny game in my Hosho. I was doing great, deplaned the opposing carriers (Langleys) and doing large amounts of damage. But since I'm quite an aggressive carrier player, I tend to be as far forward as possible in order to shorten the resupply time. Is a bit of a risk, but makes life interesting. Killed a ton of ships, was in melee with 2 cruisers at 1 point and killed them. Got sniped at by BBs but no real damage. And my team just crumbled. I ended up capping their cap in a standard battle while their BBs tried to charge when while I was throwing my bombers at them. I capped a few moments before spotted and won the game xD
  • Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
662 posts
11,026 battles

A few days ago I had a funny game in my Hosho. I was doing great, deplaned the opposing carriers (Langleys) and doing large amounts of damage. But since I'm quite an aggressive carrier player, I tend to be as far forward as possible in order to shorten the resupply time. Is a bit of a risk, but makes life interesting. Killed a ton of ships, was in melee with 2 cruisers at 1 point and killed them. Got sniped at by BBs but no real damage. And my team just crumbled. I ended up capping their cap in a standard battle while their BBs tried to charge when while I was throwing my bombers at them. I capped a few moments before spotted and won the game xD

Whenever CV is forced to do capping, you know something went wrong with the team.

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles

Or people who actually use maps a lot ;) http://www.land-navigation.com/orient-a-map.html

It is quite funny. I am a navigational officer on a large cargo ship. We used to have nautical charts that you put on the chart table. They are always north up.

But since this year those paper charts have been replaced by digital charts... or ECDIS. The digital charts you can turn whichever way you want. But still, everybody uses the same settings "North Up"

Even the RADAR that you can set either as North Up, Head up or course up is always set to North up.

Whenever CV is forced to do capping, you know something went wrong with the team.

Even better when a CV is bashing BBs aside yelling "MOVE [edited]! GET OUT THE WAY!". And after I pass my allied BBs I usually say "Everbody behind the carrier is a pussy!".

Well, I only play Hosho. And not many games, but it is funny as hell.

Quality Poster
1,687 posts
9,005 battles

Wouldn't that be a nice idea? Instead of dropping speed when entering the border, just dropping of the earth.

(In friendly form: dead ship; Unfriendly form: disconnect and banned for an hour; Fantasy form: The kraken emerges from its lair just underneath the flat earth's crust and swallows the ship, while shouting: "You, Sir, are a tard!")

I like this idea, with one disclaimer.

Sometimes you run into a border when you get tunnelvision.

Yesterday, this happened to me on the Guadalcanal map.

I was in a DD, I think, turned to starboard after engaging enemies turning around the corner of the island, ran smack-dab into the border.

Whoops.

Was pretty inconvenient too.

[JRM]
Players
662 posts
11,026 battles

Map: Northern Lights. Tier 8 -10 battle. My ship: Martel. Screenshot taken 7 minutes into the battle.

There was nothing funny in this battle for me, lots of frustrations only. I am dead there near B trying to defend B cap. After i died i had something to see. I saw this:

enemy capping, Our BBs totally lost in space and time. I am still wondering how our BBs managed to move to that useless spot so quickly.

4hbm9f.jpg

• Funny 1

[TR]
Players
1,152 posts
34,022 battles

I have come to a conclusion that boredom makes you play really bad. This game is so repetitive that it makes you play like *Edited if you don't take a break from it.

Edited by Nohe21
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate remarks.

[NED]
Players
4,352 posts
12,003 battles

Forgot to take a screenshot but it was on Northern lights as well. The reds were, 2 or 3 exceptions, only camping behind the massive island between B and C. Was actually 1 bloke in his Iowa who 1 shot 1 of our cruisers who ventured into B. And he gloated at it in chat!! Oooh I'm so good and playing smart. I couldn't help pointing out he wasn't IMO. So we wasted his team 1 after the other. It was actually a nice comeback match for us: they were in the cap, point and ship lead a long time and it almost seemed lost. But they kept nicely camping, so we could surround them and focus them out one after the other. Then "Mr Good" got nervous when he saw all the caps turn red and he had no choice to push into B himself. We gave him a fond warm welcome of course. Didn't get a response to my question how his "smart play" was working out for him though....

But then again IMO this map promotes camping the most of all.

[JRM]
Players
662 posts
11,026 battles

Forgot to take a screenshot but it was on Northern lights as well. The reds were, 2 or 3 exceptions, only camping behind the massive island between B and C. Was actually 1 bloke in his Iowa who 1 shot 1 of our cruisers who ventured into B. And he gloated at it in chat!! Oooh I'm so good and playing smart. I couldn't help pointing out he wasn't IMO. So we wasted his team 1 after the other. It was actually a nice comeback match for us: they were in the cap, point and ship lead a long time and it almost seemed lost. But they kept nicely camping, so we could surround them and focus them out one after the other. Then "Mr Good" got nervous when he saw all the caps turn red and he had no choice to push into B himself. We gave him a fond warm welcome of course. Didn't get a response to my question how his "smart play" was working out for him though....

4hbm9f.jpg

On this map when you see your BBs moving towards D cap, you pretty much can tell that game will be most likely lost, because they end up out of battle at crucial point. Behind rocks, cannot shoot and takes them forever to get out of there, but many people never learn this. And just before game is lost they emerge from D area full HP but it is usually too late. 

[NED]
Players
4,352 posts
12,003 battles

4hbm9f.jpg

On this map when you see your BBs moving towards D cap, you pretty much can tell that game will be most likely lost, because they end up out of battle at crucial point. Behind rocks, cannot shoot and takes them forever to get out of there, but many people never learn this. And just before game is lost they emerge from D area full HP but it is usually too late. 

I couldn't agree more. And yet I see it happening over and over again. The only thing I want to have to do with D is keeping the cap in gunrange, while pointing my nose to the C cap. So I could assist a DD who goes for D. But I'm not wasting much time with that. A stealth DD can quite easily yolo solo there to see if he can take it and if it's too hot: just bail out of there. Same-ish is going for A IMO. Though that island is somewhat smaller to clear. A hard BB push around A can in fact work. But you'll need cruiser and DD scouting support. When done properly you can flank the reds very nicely. As they're probably hiding behind their islands, expecting an attack coming straight from the south/ north.

[AAO]
Players
2,260 posts
11,030 battles

Cough. Tears of the desert epicenter.

Worst sh*t ever. How that is still around I don't understand. Most standard battles are camping grounds as well, and even worse, camping seems the way to win that bs. North (domination) is quite ok compared to that.

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
829 posts
8,972 battles

Not me but I saw it live. Hilarious. He turned  away from a Scharnhorst and got in here. Couldn't move. :D

526shot_17.06.12_21.25.19.jpg

• Cool 1

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
829 posts
8,972 battles

Here's another one. That Cleve started chasing me almost full health. I was at this health when we met.  And he was accompanied by another Cleve on low health that I had killed. But dude got 1 HP :D

After this I still killed a full health Gneisenau but we still lost.

BTW we started on the upper side of map. They left alone our carrier at the top island and all ran to left side.

642shot_17.06.12_20.41.31.jpg

[JRM]
Players
662 posts
11,026 battles

Here's another one. That Cleve started chasing me almost full health. I was at this health when we met.  And he was accompanied by another Cleve on low health that I had killed. But dude got 1 HP :D

After this I still killed a full health Gneisenau but we still lost.

BTW we started on the upper side of map. They left alone our carrier at the top island and all ran to left side.

642shot_17.06.12_20.41.31.jpg

Unrelated for this situation since i dont know how the game was developing, but often i get feeling that some CVs captains dont understand that their ships can actually move. :)

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
829 posts
8,972 battles

Unrelated for this situation since i dont know how the game was developing, but often i get feeling that some CVs captains dont understand that their ships can actually move. :)

I think they mostly get away with their planes and when they finally recognise their position they're helpless. So by then it doesn't matter if they move or not. (I don't know exactly it's just a wild guess - I don't play CVs.)

[NED]
Players
4,352 posts
12,003 battles

(also notice the 2 dead enemy ship icons in the channel ^^)

J'accuse!!

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,782 posts
6,332 battles

aq51uYD.jpg

At least your CV's are trying to lead by example..... :hiding:

Beta Tester
2,548 posts
2,754 battles

The best World of Warships quote, ever, must be the one from that Jingles video where half the enemy team is steamrolling down one side of the map, and the green team desperately tries to get their carrier to move.

Green Team Member: "Lost right flank, several ships incoming, carrier plz move."

Carrier Player: "You're new to this game, right? Carriers don't move. We've got planes."

This answer alone would probably have caused me to write off the carrier player, in more than one category and for several independently sufficient reasons. His good team members in this battle, however, don't give up on him. They continue pleading with him, for several minutes, trying to get him to move away from his approaching doom. He won't have it. He faithfully sticks to his position, tactically and geographically, until sunk under a massive hail of gunfire from the opposing team. No one loses their temper; the altercation remains civil throughout the whole, sadly fascinating episode.

Jingles makes it all into great entertainment, outlining - at length - the tactical and strategical differences between airfields, that don't move, and carriers, that do. It's quite simply hilarious. I shall have to try and find that old video on youtube; it's got to be well over a year old by now.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[CG]
Players
57 posts
7,701 battles

For a long time I used to start everygame with a CV with a line something like.

"CV please don't be an airfield, move with the fleet."

Then I gave up, personally the first thing I do in my CV is to start shadowing the BB/CLs with the best AA. Just makes sense, it possible for some late game caps in those close domination games.

[JRM]
Players
662 posts
11,026 battles

aq51uYD.jpg

I hate Strait map and it is only because often at start of battle there are ships  that were spawned left want to move to the right side of the map and in same time those spawned on right start going to the left. I understand that Strait is lower tier map, but still they dont know that they are just wasting time by doing this and being out of battle in crucial point.

Beta Tester
2,548 posts
2,754 battles

... personally the first thing I do in my CV is to start shadowing the BB/CLs with the best AA. Just makes sense, it possible for some late game caps in those close domination games.

Interesting. I am trying to learn how to play and position myself in a CV, so I eagerly read all I can about these things.

And I have a question: If you follow the best AA ships around, and move with the fleet, won't it bring you in range of fire from the enemy fleet?

A CV that pops up over the horizon, tends to get focus fired very quickly!