SolitudeFSH

Changes to promote active gameplay

7 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2 posts
8,242 battles

I would have liked to have posted this in Gameplay discussion, but it seems that 4000+ battles aren't enough to post there. :)

I think this game is awesome and fun, but there is a cancer inside it and that is that people get a bit to hung up on stats and winning.

This has the effect that people would rather sit still in a cloud of smoke at and fire at the enemy and not go for the objective. Or a BB staying at max range while his teammates are being focused.

I think this form of passive gameplay boils down to peoples obsession with stats. And the only way I see to combat this is to lower gained XP for players with passive play styles.

What I would propose is a change that would only change the amount of XP you earn in battle. No mechanics would be changed, and people could still play as they wanted to. But if they keep at max range or sit still then their XP gain would be slow.

I suggest that XP earned from damage and kills should be modified depending on your distance to nearest visible target and the speed you had when firing.

And I mad a nice graphic that I hope explains what I mean, you can see it if you press the thumbnail.

Am I totally of or is this something good?

idea.jpg

Players
4,154 posts
9,221 battles

It is modified already

But campers still camp . They get less money than few months ago, less xp and they still camp and they will camp

[MIMI]
Beta Tester
723 posts
2,861 battles

I think this form of passive gameplay boils down to peoples obsession with stats.

The hardest campers are actually those who believe (or at least want others to believe) that stats are meaningless, because theirs usually suck. The game doesn't reward mapborder-guards with good stats, they just lack the imagination to be able to think that NOT staying away as far as possible for as long as possible is a better idea than what they do. In fact most of them lack the capacity to think at all. And that is something that regrettably cannot be fixed.
  • Cool 1

Beta Tester
2 posts
8,242 battles

The hardest campers are actually those who believe (or at least want others to believe) that stats are meaningless, because theirs usually suck. The game doesn't reward mapborder-guards with good stats, they just lack the imagination to be able to think that NOT staying away as far as possible for as long as possible is a better idea than what they do. In fact most of them lack the capacity to think at all. And that is something that regrettably cannot be fixed.

This is not my experience... I rarely see people using the border ... but I do see a lot of BBs staying at range because "23 km range dude!" (I changed the usual profanity to dude in this quote :) ) or Cruisers sitting still in smoke, even when no one is spotting for them ...

Stats are meaningless ... if anything they have a negative effect on the game, since some people still joins a game, complains about teammates and then sits passive ...

The only IMO way to combat this is by introducing mechanics that influence stats of passive players in a negative way so that their "stats" takes a dive ... and if a reduced XP gain (or none at all since you can both be at range and sit still at the same time) works, you could add that if a person have had their XP modified negatively for 80% of the time they were alive in the match, then it will count as a loss?

Edited by SolitudeFSH

[MIMI]
Beta Tester
723 posts
2,861 battles

I rarely see people using the border ... but I do see a lot of BBs staying at range because "23 km range dude!"

And all those "because 23km range!!!" people end up somewhere near the map border and lose the match for their team. And they also get bad stats playing like that, not good stats. If you play for stats, you have to play a blanced game, alternating aggressive and defensive play as needed. A cruiser sitting in smoke is something completely different, that is a very powerful tactic if done correctly. Of course with 80% of the players making a slice of bread look smart a lot will not use it correctly. But that doesn't cost the team nearly as much as a BB that should be tanking damage staying as far as possible from the action, even if someone is completely braindead he would be of at least some use to the team if he tanked damage. He is of exactly no use when he just snipes at max range and hits once in a blue moon... And no amount of XP loss will make stupid players who think they are smart play differently. Those forts on the map edges actually might though :trollface:

Edited by Kruzenstern