You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
loppantorkel

Which ship is most demanding to play?

68 comments in this topic

[UNICS]
Players
2,883 posts
12,106 battles

There are many different play styles for the same ship, but usually you do a few roles to fulfil. Destroyers need to cap, or harass, cruisers should usually support and kill dds, etc. I've heard RN cruisers are tough to play and that might be true for higher tiers, but I'd argue high tier capping dds have become much harder to play due to introduction of new classes and more powerful tools for cruisers. I'm not entirely sure of the role of tier 10 German dd. It looks like a counter for US dds, but is it effective as that? That one might be tricky to play.

For me it's the Gearing. You're expected to cap and to hunt down enemy dds, but you're a fairly large target that get focused the second you're spotted. You can't do much against Khabas either. I think it's the ship I play that requires most from me to get right.

This isn't primarily about underpowered ships, but about ships where you play the role intended and find demanding.

[HAERT]
Players
303 posts
7,261 battles

Mikasa hands down. She has no fleet role, unlike EVERY other ship in the game to an extent. This fact alone makes her the most demanding to do well in. Show me another 'demanding' ship in the game and I'll show you at least somebody who has made it work consistently for them, with good results. Not so with Mikasa. Poor old girl.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
2,883 posts
12,106 battles

Atlanta on "ocean" was always a bit of a challenge...

Don't you just sit in smoke and spam HE until smoke goes away? yes... demanding...:child:

:P j/k

Edited by loppantorkel

Alpha Tester
5,609 posts
5,568 battles

Mikasa hands down. She has no fleet role, unlike EVERY other ship in the game to an extent. This fact alone makes her the most demanding to do well in. Show me another 'demanding' ship in the game and I'll show you at least somebody who has made it work consistently for them, with good results. Not so with Mikasa. Poor old girl.

I wouldn't say Mikasa is particularly demanding. Problem is that it's mostly off your hands, if you encounter enemy who knows about Mikasa, you're completely screwed, no matter what you do.

[UNICS]
Players
2,883 posts
12,106 battles

Okay, a sign for me how demanding a ship is - how much effort you put into checking out the ships and players of both teams + the map, and figuring out what to do. Of course, how you need to play weighs in heavily also - how much attention you need to keep on your surroundings at all times.

Edited by loppantorkel

Players
1,427 posts
13,055 battles

Don't you just sit in smoke and spam HE until smoke goes away? yes... demanding...:child:

:P j/k

Atlanta does not have smoke. So no.
  • Cool 1

Quality Poster
3,367 posts
8,384 battles

Warspite! I love her, but every game feels like hard work to do. It's fun and a challenge but definitely demanding.

Scharnhorst on the other hand is like a cruise 80% of my matches.

Greetings

[SCRUB]
Players
7,307 posts
9,577 battles

Battleships.

Huge target, can't turn to evade torpedoes, starts the match lit on fire and don't hit anything. WG, buff plz!*

That was sarcasm

Edited by Aotearas
  • Cool 7

[SCRUB]
Players
7,307 posts
9,577 battles

..and you would never intrude on another player's smoke...?

That would be assuming DDs would actually lay a smoke where it makes sense for an Atlanta to be and note somewhere on B9 after they got spotted by the enemy CV they tried to hunt.
  • Cool 2

[UNICS]
Players
2,883 posts
12,106 battles

USN Cruisers of tiers 7 8 and 9 are very hard

They were a bit UP perhaps and therefore 'hard', but have they ever been particularly demanding? More than IJN and RU cruisers probably. The NO as anti-dd ship was pretty poor for what it was supposed to do.

That would be assuming DDs would actually lay a smoke where it makes sense for an Atlanta to be and note somewhere on B9 after they got spotted by the enemy CV they tried to hunt.

True, but it's getting pretty specific where Atlanta is demanding to play. Although, I believe Atlanta might be one of the more demanding cruisers to play, without ever having played it.

Edited by loppantorkel

[-5D2-]
Players
492 posts
3,644 battles

Neptune. It is just suck a big ship. The Minotaur feels small at least with its speed and turn radius. The Neptune in contrast to anything else of RN feels big, slow and a sitting duck. Still, in it's premium camo and those guns its one sexy ship :trollface:

Players
944 posts
5,328 battles

Battleships.

Huge target, can't turn to evade torpedoes, starts the match lit on fire and don't hit anything. WG, buff plz!*

That was sarcasm

LOL, well I think BB actually require a lot of skill if you want to be good. High to extreme average damage is the only way to be good in a BB. Positioning is key, and you are so slow that you have no room for mistakes. Not aggressive enough = no damage. Go too far and you will die with low damage as well. It's quite a balance act while cruisers and destroyers give you more leeway there, they have the speed and concealment to reposition after a failed setup.

• Cool 3

[ONIX]
Players
1,087 posts
9,032 battles

This RN cruisers thing, is it for the low tier ones, right? I haven't played them but I got the Leander through the Chirstmas missions and I don't find her or Fiji demanding at all. Smoke and heal on a tier VI-VII cruiser, what's not to like?

Beta Tester
77 posts
8,180 battles

Des Moines is quite demanding. She can tank if possitioned well, but gets punished harshly if someone gets her out of position. Bullets have slow travelling speed. Compared to moskva, hindenburg and zao you have to get close to melt someone. mino must also get in close but has smoke to hide from enemies. and played-well this ship is a source of a neverending grin.:trollface:

US cruisers in general are quite hard to play really good as they lack the long-range-spamming capabilities many other nations have. And while DDs have no citadel the CAs can be taken out easily by one BB salvo if not paying attention to minimap/positioning/angling.

Edited by freakadelle2k

[CAIN]
Players
2,732 posts
10,858 battles

The german DDs from TIV upwards - at least to E. Gaede as i'm currently grinding that one are - for me - quite demanding.

And whata grind it is...all other lines - cruisers, DDs, BBs and even CVs are somewhat rewarding and once i get used to them i can do pretty good and/or at least somewhat decent in the turd-ish ones.

When i started the german DD line i was surprised how fun the TII DD is, TIII is ok.

And that's where the fun ends, the grind through the other DDs sofar was neither fun nor rewarding in any shape or form.

It's not that i don't get good results occasionally, it's just that i do not feel that it rewards me enough when i'm working my [edited]off, and i do not mean XP and credits.

And that what it actually feels playing that line: work.

I don't mind challenging ships, i love the British cruiserline - even the "bad" ships were enjoyable.

Same for Izumo pre-buff and all the other boats that where subpar in comparison to their peers.

Was the Pensacola a good boat before the buff? No, yet it was enjoyable...for the most part.

I do not enjoy that line at all sofar, and as previously mentioned, the fun ends after TIII.

I hope it gets better with the L.Maas

Edited by Jethro_Grey

Players
104 posts
5,811 battles

A bit surprised nobody mentioned carriers yet. Personally I haven't played any, so my perspective might be off by a country mile, but I think the high APM and multitasking are very demanding. Not talking about the "lolsnipe enemy cv by hugging map border for 5 minutes and fail" type of carrier players though. The ones that actively scout for incoming walls of skill, protects their team mates and does not drop on targets that are about to eat a face full of torpedoes. Again, I could be wrong but keeping up with all of that seems more intense and hectic then playing other classes (which is why it isn't the class for me btw).

Personal experience (so only cruisers and destroyers) I kinda agree with the OP; Gearing feels a lot more like "work" then the preceding Fletcher. Less speed and agility and a much bulkier ship in general, slower torp reload and less gun range. Feels more like a side grade then an actual upgrade, but that's mostly because the Fletcher just handles like a dream / is slightly OP.

[UNICS]
Players
2,883 posts
12,106 battles

...  Again, I could be wrong but keeping up with all of that seems more intense and hectic then playing other classes (which is why it isn't the class for me btw). ....

Very true. They are in a class of their own when it comes to multitasking. Playing them feels like another game though, more of an rts than a warship simulator (I know - arcade). Not a class for me.

Edited by loppantorkel

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,304 posts
6,195 battles

I'm going to assume it's Hakuryu....or maybe a Shokaku (well at least from what I've played)

Edited by domen3

Players
108 posts
4,344 battles

Every Carrier with more than 4 squadrons, since you are in a constant fight against the interface.

One finger is on "alt" for manual drops, the other hand is occupied with the mouse => leaves 4 fingers to control way too many squadrons + the constant danger to accidentally press "1".

Micromanaging 40 units in Total War is a childsplay compared to 5 squadrons in WoWs...

• Cool 7