You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
Isambard_Kingdom_Brunel

[MOD] Dreadnought Secondary Gun Sounds

11 comments in this topic

[HAERT]
Players
303 posts
7,261 battles

Hi all!

UPDATE: As requested by several non-EU players, Dropbox version is now available for non-EU players.:honoring: EU players should however still use the attached file for better availability.

Mini Mod: HIJMS Yamato now has BSP Main Guns as well as secondaries! Note that this does not work simultaneously with the main mod and will need to be activated individually in your sound settings tab whenever you play Yamato. I've done this on purpose to retain the secondary mod's identity as an enhancement for secondaries and not specifically a 'BSP' mod!

Here's a very simple mod which replaces the in-game 'analogous' secondary gun sounds with calibre-accurate sounds. This is for Mikasa, Warspite and several German BBs (Bismarck, FDG, GK). The sounds are lifted directly from Battlestations: Pacific using a BSP proprietary archive extractor. Please don't judge me for that. I had a good attempt at trying to find real ones/more realistic SFX, but to be honest I think these are perfectly adequate for the need. I always loved manual secondary firing in BSP partly because these sounds are so epic.

If you're not interested, simply walk away. But if you, like me, LOVE secondaries and put yourself in harms way to hear them scream their heavy shot around the map...this mod is for you :honoring:

Below you'll find me dirping around with some friendly Khabarovsks, who decided to help me demonstrate the mod using Mikasa. How kind of them!

How to install(it's ridiculously easy):

1) Copy the entire unzipped folder (available attached to this post) into World_of_Warships/res/banks/OfficialMods

2) Change your in-game voice-over modification to 'BSPSecondaries' using the Audio settings tab, as I do at the start of the video.

3) Turn some DDs into floating debris with a soundtrack to match!

Yes, I do intend on developing this to be more realistic, but as a start i think this is quite adequate. For anyone who's interested, I simply named the 'True' folder sound files according to 'order' (aka reload time aka size) of gun (I know the staff all insist names don't make a difference, but this really does seem to be a thing WG have implemented for secondaries but not used; Mikasa's larger 6-inch guns definitely fire a separate sound to the smaller ones every time, simply because I prioritised the 'smaller' (faster reload) gun sounds when naming.). I stand to be corrected on this though...

BSPSecondaries.zip

BSPYamato.zip

• Cool 2

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,304 posts
6,186 battles

need that for my Nagato pls :great:

Just change the name of the folder from "Shipname__PJSB011" to "Shipname__PJSB010"
Edited by domen3
  • Cool 1

[HAERT]
Players
303 posts
7,261 battles

Since I posted this up, I actually modified it for myself to work with all IJN Battleships as Nagato is one of my favourites in the game for secondaries, too. Gorgeous ship .:)  I'll update this soon to include all IJN BBs soon as why not? And Domen is correct; simply changing that folder should give the appropriate difference.

While you're here actually, Domen, do you perchance know why there are only two folders for the German BBs readily available for use? I originally named new folders incrementally to unlock the others and initially this did work for me, but for some reason since the patch it's now only working on the higher tier ones...and I don't have a clue why :amazed:. It also caused a CTD whenever Gneisenau used her secondaries...which seemed very odd. That's why the version I have uploaded here only supports certain German BBs.

• Cool 1

Players
566 posts
4 battles

Nice mod! Thank you very much! Won't you mind if I write a script to copy these sounds to all ships in game? They sound much better that WG's... And copying/pasting every file by hand is too boring - I can help with that. Anyway I will do it for myself and will give you them if you want

[W-C]
2,304 posts
6,186 battles

Since I posted this up, I actually modified it for myself to work with all IJN Battleships as Nagato is one of my favourites in the game for secondaries, too. Gorgeous ship .:)  I'll update this soon to include all IJN BBs soon as why not? And Domen is correct; simply changing that folder should give the appropriate difference.

While you're here actually, Domen, do you perchance know why there are only two folders for the German BBs readily available for use? I originally named new folders incrementally to unlock the others and initially this did work for me, but for some reason since the patch it's now only working on the higher tier ones...and I don't have a clue why :amazed:. It also caused a CTD whenever Gneisenau used her secondaries...which seemed very odd. That's why the version I have uploaded here only supports certain German BBs.

Quoting usually helps draw the attention of the person you're contacting, so I didn't notice this sorry. What do you mean by only two folders?

[IDEAL]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
669 posts
2,513 battles

Would be indeed cool if it was working with all secondaries :)

[W-C]
2,304 posts
6,186 battles

Would be indeed cool if it was working with all secondaries :)

Just mod it to whichever ship you want....

Nice mod! Thank you very much! Won't you mind if I write a script to copy these sounds to all ships in game? They sound much better that WG's... And copying/pasting every file by hand is too boring - I can help with that. Anyway I will do it for myself and will give you them if you want

How is it coming along

Players
566 posts
4 battles

Just mod it to whichever ship you want....

How is it coming along

Not fast :) Too much work in real life - I've even didn't open the game to update it for 0.6.2.0. But I will write this script it for sure - I need this sound on my guns!

[KOOKS]
Modder, Beta Tester
1,340 posts
3,342 battles

This game sorely needs a complete gun sound overhaul, this is a good first step. Please keep it up. :) In vanilla most main batteries sounds like 5cm tank guns at best, secondaries just goes pop-op and AA sounds like you're shaking a can with dried peas in it.

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,403 posts

Good god. Someone did it. I tried to [edited]around with secondary sounds briefly but couldn't really be bothered. Had no idea you need to select the sound set ingame. I wanted to give Mikasa's secondaries and St. Louis' primaries Myogi main gun sounds since that's my favourite effect and would sound ridiculously overblown. I dunno if you're aware but WG released some gun SFX in an example directory. I forgot where though, or what I did with the folder...

You worked on BSP? That's cool. Are you able to share the extractor, or sound effect files?

The connections to your attachments timeout for me.