Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Psycd

Division Matchmaking

61 comments in this topic

[_BB]
Players
46 posts
6,785 battles

Greetings,

A request to re-look at the way matchmaking happens when in a division.    WG reduced the tier difference in divisions to 1 tier, and this was done to prevent fail divisions.  No problem there,  however, the matchmaking system is causing the 1 tier division difference to be a fail division.  The reason I say this, is because MM is based on the highest tier ship in the division resulting in having to face off against ships 3 tiers higher if you are the lower tier in the division.   MM should be based on the lowest tier in the division, not the highest.

Example:

tier 5 & 6 in a division results in tier 5 vs tier 8. (rather ridiculous)   MM based on lower tier would result in the highest tier enemy being tier 7, which would be fine for the tier 6.

Thoughts?

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,245 posts
8,204 battles

Yes please, because then I would have one of the division be 1 tier lower then the rest. That way the 2 high tier players in the division always get better matchmaking!

I do hope you realise I'm NOT being serious here. This is a bad idea because it will cause people to abuse the system like I showed in my comment. Why do you want to division like that anyway? Just pick ships from the same tier.

• Cool 6

[_BB]
Players
46 posts
6,785 battles

then why allow a tier difference in the first place?????   then just force divisions to be in the same tier.   Your point is moot.

• Cool 1

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts

Maybe the 1 tier difference is meant for players who want to play together but don't/can't have ships of the same tier. Example: A beginner with a tier 5 ship and a more experienced player without tier 5 ships but tier 4 or 6.

Else... well, basically what Lorran_Battle says. Take a ship which is really good on its tier. Then make a division with 2 other ships one tier higher and they will have a better match making which is IMHO not really justified, especially when the higher tier ships are on the upper part of the food chain anyway.

[CATS]
Players
20,368 posts
12,527 battles

then why allow a tier difference in the first place?????   then just force divisions to be in the same tier.   Your point is moot.

WG allows you some freedom in chosing your division. You know how MM works.

It is your choice and you are responsible for the outcome.

If you do not like it, do not do it. It is very simple.

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,715 posts
12,392 battles

WG won't "force" you not to make fail divisions but doing so will open the lowest tier ship to the possibilty of facing ships 3 tiers higher. Common sense, on the other hand, should dictate that one never puts oneself in this situation. Why is it so difficult to pick ships of the same tier?

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,245 posts
8,204 battles

Because this way if one of the division mates does not have the same tier ship, he can still join the division. I don't really care too much, I'm just glad that WG after about 5-6 years (of experience in WoT) finally caved in to the demands about division limitations...

Hell, even I have divisioned with a lower tier ship, getting my tier 7 leningrad in a tier X game. And I've had people in my division with a lower tier ship.

Then again, my division mates are generally good and those kind of players don't give a bleep about having to fight +3 tiers, that just brings back memories of CBT.

• Cool 1

Players
385 posts
12,286 battles

So that people are free to form such divisions where there's no harm. For example: I don't mind playing a T9 CV with TX to division mates.

[_BB]
Players
46 posts
6,785 battles

So that people are free to form such divisions where there's no harm. For example: I don't mind playing a T9 CV with TX to division mates.

you would normally face off against TX in a T9 anyway if you weren't in a division.    If you go solo and start a match in a tier 5, are you going to be MM'd against a tier8?  NO!

there is no abuse that can happen - or are of the belief system that 2 tier6 and 1 tier 5  MM's against tier7  is going to be OP against the enemy??????????????  and result in abuse??????   I don't think so mate.

[_BB]
Players
46 posts
6,785 battles

Rewarding people with preferential MM for fail divisions? Hell no :facepalm:

how is it rewarding people - it's creating a much better fair-play scenario, and evenly matched MM.    Sheesh..     So to you it's fair  having to say face off against a Hipper with Omaha because you dont have a tier 6 yet, and now you have to suffer because your friend has a Nurnberg for example????   really.   

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts

there is no abuse that can happen - or are of the belief system that 2 tier6 and 1 tier 5  MM's against tier7  is going to be OP against the enemy??????????????  and result in abuse??????   I don't think so mate.

To a certain extend, there is abuse that can happen. See my post and the first one from Loran_Battle. If you put an "OP" tier 5 ship and 2 "OP" tier 6 ships into a division, they will have a easier time because they don't have to potentially face tier 8 ships. This results in more/easier experience points and credits for the "fail" division, especially the tier 6 ships and if the players even remotely know what they are doing.

Or a tier 5 ship a tier 6 ship and a tier 6 CV, where the CV does not have to deal with tier 8 AA (which on the other hand might not be that bad).

Edited by Tungstonid

Beta Tester
837 posts
13,366 battles

Even if you go same tier ship, MM still puts you as lowest tier most of the time, so it gets to the point that you have more chances beying atleast mid tier if you play solo. Its pretty screwed no matter how you look at it.

Players
1,001 posts
6,733 battles

Even if you go same tier ship, MM still puts you as lowest tier most of the time, so it gets to the point that you have more chances beying atleast mid tier if you play solo. Its pretty screwed no matter how you look at it.

Interesting, how did you reach this observation?

Anyway as to the OP. I would prefer if divisions were limited to same tier ships. Because too many noobcakes in tier IV ships end up against tier VII. Or V and VI against VIII and IX. It usually doesn't end well and puts your team behind before the match even started.

Beta Tester
837 posts
13,366 battles

Interesting, how did you reach this observation?

Theres a key word in your sentence that is also the answer to the quewstion.

• Cool 1

[ALONE]
Players
1,417 posts
10,924 battles

Divisions should be limited to the same tier. Matching the fail division using its lowest-tier would be rewarding its higher-tier ships. Matching using the highest tier in the division is also putting one team at disadvantage from the start and it is making the game unfair as well. 

Sorry, this is not the decision which should be left to divisioning players. Unequal tier divisions have to be simply disallowed.

Many of such divisions are accidental, many are created because people have no clue what they're doing. And then we have two Tier 4 "teammates" in a T7 game :facepalm:

Players
1,078 posts
8,085 battles

Having the division entered in MM according to lowest tier ship would be a phenomenally bad idea. You'd get seal-clubbing divisions of three, with people taking turns playing that one lower-tier ship, allowing the other two into a lower-tier game. If the system can be gamed, it will be gamed.

In general I'm OK with the one-tier difference allowed. A lot of people out there don't have ships for every tier, which causes obvious issues when playing together. People make a huge deal out of one ship among 12 being one tier lower. In practice more often than not they pull their weight, and any effect gets lost in the noise of AFK's, YOLO's, and other potatoes.

Edited by jss78

5,018 posts
9,482 battles

While a +-1 division can spwan the occasional fail div, most of the time it's used with the desired effect of people playing together properly. In my last 100 or so battles I remember one "Fail Div" where a Kamikaze div'd up with a Kuma and landed in a T7 battle. The Kamikaze even apologized for this.

On countless other occasions however I was able to play with some friends because either of them didn't had a T10 yet (so one T9 + 2 T10) or I had no T9 available (so me in a T8 + T9). Working as intended I'd say.

Greetings

[CATS]
Players
20,368 posts
12,527 battles

how is it rewarding people - it's creating a much better fair-play scenario, and evenly matched MM.    Sheesh..     So to you it's fair  having to say face off against a Hipper with Omaha because you dont have a tier 6 yet, and now you have to suffer because your friend has a Nurnberg for example????   really.   

Then he should play Tier V too, if you do not want to face the consequences.

If only the lowest ship counted, you could bringt two Tier VI and one Tier V ship into a battle were most ships are Tier IV and you would outtier everyone.

[_BB]
Players
46 posts
6,785 battles

While a +-1 division can spwan the occasional fail div, most of the time it's used with the desired effect of people playing together properly. In my last 100 or so battles I remember one "Fail Div" where a Kamikaze div'd up with a Kuma and landed in a T7 battle. The Kamikaze even apologized for this.

On countless other occasions however I was able to play with some friends because either of them didn't had a T10 yet (so one T9 + 2 T10) or I had no T9 available (so me in a T8 + T9). Working as intended I'd say.

Greetings

When it comes to higher tiers (8+)  it doesn't really affect the division as badly, as you would be facing tier 10 with a tier 8 boat anyway.   So tier 8/9/10  in a division is not a fail, as their opponents would be of the right MM levels - there is no OP division that can be formed here in any case.

Then he should play Tier V too, if you do not want to face the consequences.

If only the lowest ship counted, you could bringt two Tier VI and one Tier V ship into a battle were most ships are Tier IV and you would outtier everyone.

let me try to explain this a bit better.   If you start a match solo in a tier 6 ship - you could be matched with ships ranging from tier 4 to tier 8.  as you be the highest tier opponent for the tier 4 player. I don't see anyone complaining when they are the highest tier ship in a game.   You know that uber feeling everyone loves.

So further to this a tier 6 player could also be matched against tier 5 to 7.  now you are the mid tier in the match.  still no one screaming blue murder here, or you could be the lowest tier ship is tier 6 to 8 match. Still waiting for the spine chilling screams about this one???

Since everyone is complaining about OP divisions that can happen - IF ship X = premium, then MM = XXXXXXXX     Else ship x =  standard, then MM = XXXXXXXX

This brings me back to the point - why allow a division tier difference in the first place if everyone is just of the opinion of "dont do it".     The division matchmaking can be done so much better, instead of un/intentionally penalising a divsion because you allow a tier +-1 difference.   

[CATS]
Players
20,368 posts
12,527 battles

Tier VI cannot face Tier IV in regular MM, that does not work.

Regular MM is random. With your proposal two ships would never be bottom tier and quite often be toptier. And toptier means in this case the only ships with toptier which almost never happens in regular MM. That would change MM drasticly in your favour.

[H_FAN]
Players
2,261 posts
31,835 battles

Of course fail divisions should be punished.

Some people only seem to learn the hard way.

By the way if you are a serious WOWS player you keep ships in all tiers to be able to division in same tier with your friends that have started. There is fun/good ships in every tier.

I understand that few are like me that keeps everything (apart from Eire) but you are greedy if you do not are able to afford a few portslots to have at least 1 ship in every tier.

[_BB]
Players
46 posts
6,785 battles

Tier VI cannot face Tier IV in regular MM, that does not work.

Regular MM is random. With your proposal two ships would never be bottom tier and quite often be toptier. And toptier means in this case the only ships with toptier which almost never happens in regular MM. That would change MM drasticly in your favour.

you are talking theory - since based on the MM chart - if you start a match with TX, you should only be paired against other TX (as this is what the MM chart clearly states) - yet the effect of a tier 8 looking for a match will get paired against tier 10.  So you have matchmaking working in one direction, but not the other.

[_BB]
Players
46 posts
6,785 battles

Of course fail divisions should be punished.

Some people only seem to learn the hard way.

By the way if you are a serious WOWS player you keep ships in all tiers to be able to division in same tier with your friends that have started. There is fun/good ships in every tier.

I understand that few are like me that keeps everything (apart from Eire) but you are greedy if you do not are able to afford a few portslots to have at least 1 ship in every tier.

Your point is moot - as there is a difference allowed.   Everyone always has a answer for everything because they only look at things through their lens.  Take a step back, and look at it through different lenses.  You all have this one sided opinion because YOU think it's dumb.  It seems lemmings trains dont just affect gameplay, it appears that the 1991 classic, also filters through into opinions on the forum.  SHEEPLES

Sign in to follow this