You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
The_Finnster

Is Flamu Right About The Mogami?

46 comments in this topic

[BG-EU]
Players
68 posts
12,710 battles

So I really enjoy Flamu's ship reviews and play style over on YouTube and having just graduated to a Mogami am wondering if you agree with him on keeping the Mogami's 155mms and stock hull rather than go through the upgrade to 203mm pew-pews.

His reasoning is that it is not worth sacrificing the engage=disengage advantage of concealement which appears to mushroom (upon firing) when you upgrade to the other hulls. I have to say, I'm liking the RoF with these HE cancer spamming 155s. Thoughts?

Players
136 posts
2,082 battles

I haven't played Mogami much recently, since I find her hard to enjoy going up against high tier battleships that can one shot. But I prefer the 155 guns. I'm using IFHE to help boost the damage on them. But making a captain built for Mogami in this way means I have less reason to move that captain to Ibuki when I get it. But she's hard to play without having a high level captain I find. It'll be a while before I can get CE. I think I regret not going for CE first. 

I might give her another chance, and see how I do. 

Edited by TheCoolBird

[SCRUB]
Players
7,282 posts
9,504 battles

155mm Mogami really is the only way to play her, if only for the sake of diversity. The 203mm Mogami is just a slightly better Myoukou and then the Ibuki is just a slightly better 203 Mogami. That progression is boring. The 155mm mix it up a little and is fun to play. Shame that WG apparently hates that setup and penalizes it by binding the detectability debuff when firing to the hull rather than the guns (WG logic) and the turdtastic turret rotation for the 155mms.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
922 posts
11,245 battles

Tried it a few times, and thou it has impressive firepower you can only really use that setup if you play like a max range he spamming turd, which for me was absolutely unenjoyable. If you go anywhere closer to the enemy the slow turret rotation will break your neck.

Quality Poster
3,262 posts
8,367 battles

Mogami 203 is just the same playstyle you're used to from the Fubuki Furutaka 203s C-Hull. Not bad, but no stellar change either.

Mogami 155 is different. The 15 shell salvos are devastating vor DDs and with IFHE you can wreck even more stuff. The problem is the abysmal turret turning rate, which forces you to play waya ahead. If you manage to work around that, there is nothing wrong in keeping the 155s until you've researched the Ibuki.

Greetings

Edited by Allied_Winter
  • Cool 1

[T-N-T]
Players
287 posts
4,997 battles

Well he stated few times that it is just his own opinion. Sure, its supported by his great performance, but its still more a advice than rule.

Mogami is strange ship - you are not choosing between two gun configurations, but between two playstyles. 155 Mogami is about long range/stealth fire, which is efective, true. 203 typical strike cruiser. While Flamu states he prefers 155 one, it should be noted that he always focus on performance. Which is not wrong, but 203 brings more fun to many players and is completely valid choice. I played it with 203 and enjoyed it much more. 203 Mogami still have great concealement which allows you to disengage. Point is that it is much easier to disengage form 15km combat than 10km combat.

Conclusion - try both, find which playstyle suits you better. It doesnt cost you nothing...

Edited by Dropman12

[CATS]
Players
14,623 posts
10,863 battles

The turret traverse with 155mm is abyssmal. Good luck with evasion and keeping your guns on target.

Apart from the rare instances where you can stealthfire with 155mm, it does matter if you get spotted with 155 or 203mm firing.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,477 posts
7,928 battles

I keep the Mogami with the 155 configuration simply for the unique playstyle. I have so many IJN CA to use as 203 platforms that I don't mind having the Mogami be different even if it's not optimal.

As long as you change your tactics sufficiently, then the 155 configuration works well enough.

Quality Poster
3,262 posts
8,367 battles

Well he stated few times that it is just his own opinion. [...] Which is not wrong, but 203 brings more fun to many players and is completely valid choice.

Conclusion - try both, find which playstyle suits you better. It doesnt cost you nothing...

Interesting part about opinion and such. I'd find the 155s to bring me more fun (even switched back to the A-Hull after researching the Ibuki). The 203s, while huge alpha are just a workhorse to me. Solid, effective, but more relaxed playstyle. 155s on the other hand, are more of a challenge to me (tracking targets and firing, while doing a full turn ...).

But always nice to hear other opinions!

Greetings

Players
1,648 posts
12,101 battles

Mogami 203 is just the same playstyle you're used to from the Fubuki 203s C-Hull.

I'd love to see Fubuki with 203mm guns :D an already top-heavy destroyer with even heavier guns on top.

Quality Poster
3,262 posts
8,367 battles

I'd love to see Fubuki with 203mm guns :D an already top-heavy destroyer with even heavier guns on top.

BRAIN! FART! Need coffee asap!

On the other hand.... imagine the possibilities. 203s with destroyer dispersion :trollface:

Greetings

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,102 posts
11,613 battles

Tried it a few times, and thou it has impressive firepower you can only really use that setup if you play like a max range he spamming turd, which for me was absolutely unenjoyable. If you go anywhere closer to the enemy the slow turret rotation will break your neck.

You don't like HE spamming at max range?! 

Neither do I and I own Belfast and Kutuzov :trollface:

Players
1,648 posts
12,101 battles

BRAIN! FART! Need coffee asap!

On the other hand.... imagine the possibilities. 203s with destroyer dispersion :trollface:

Greetings

I imagine... you fire a full salvo... and the shock rips the platings apart while recoil tilts the ship upside down :D

[KVK]
Players
362 posts
8,082 battles

What's the advantage of the 155mm with the A-hull?

Stealth fire? How do i do it? Stay even behind the battleships?

I also play her with the 155mm but with the C-Hull.

Better Ruddershift to evade incomming shots and little bit more HP and AA.

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
922 posts
11,245 battles

You don't like HE spamming at max range?! 

Neither do I and I own Belfast and Kutuzov :trollface:

Im playing both Belfast and Kutuzow very agressively. The times i shoot something at max range is becasue the enemy runs away and not because i stick so far back :trollface:  I think its hugely boring to spam at max range. People complain about CV's being clickers, but cruisers sailing at max range spamming HE from 20km just by holding the mouse button and pressing A or D every 30 seconds are the real clickers.

[AAO]
Players
230 posts
5,952 battles

I played mogami long time ago and i kept small guns. Long range fast firing guns are better option.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,282 posts
9,504 battles

What's the advantage of the 155mm with the A-hull?

Stealth fire? How do i do it? Stay even behind the battleships?

I also play her with the 155mm but with the C-Hull.

Better Ruddershift to evade incomming shots and little bit more HP and AA.

Well, with a full concealment build your detectability blooms to ~13.2km with the stockhull. Plenty useful at the later stages of a match, particularily if things went south beforehand and you can't afford to take many more hits. Makes the 155mm Mogami quite potent at kiting.

And ~14km distance to maintain stealthfire range isn't that far off the action anyway, you can instantly switch to a more aggressive playstyle and be right back into the thick of it should the situation call for it.

And the only worthwhile things you get from the hull upgrades are a bit of HP and a slightly better ruddershift response. In a cruiser during these BB heavy times, only the ruddershift is remotely interesting in that regard and giving up the stealthfire ability (which combined with the massive HE alpha on those 155mm guns!) is a lot to sacrifice in comparision.

[5D]
Players
473 posts
20,530 battles

People need to remember that flamu is not the be all and end all of the game and he is just another person with an opinion. Just play the ship yourself and see what works for your play style. As flamu is very fond of camping at the back his play style may not be for you if you want to help the team and be aggressive.

[GWDYS]
Community Contributor
260 posts
8,836 battles

I played the Mogami with 155 way before it was nerfed, fast turrets and over 18km range with stealth firing. Wish they made 155mm premium version without all those nerfs to turret rotation :hiding:

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,477 posts
7,928 battles

As flamu is very fond of camping at the back his play style may not be for you if you want to help the team and be aggressive.

:facepalm:

• Cool 7

Players
557 posts
4,734 battles

If you have two captains both with 14 points on them try doing both and see how your results differ.

With the new inventory system you should be able to switch back and forth between builds. It's a shame there isn't a tier 8 Mogami hull type from Apegio or this dragon thing to help experiment.

Personally, I fit my Mogami with 203mm guns and fit for stealth. The idea is to be able to sneak up close and put some hurt on and then melt away straight after that.

I tried using IFHE and I was getting spectacular results but people convinced me that IFHE wasn't required for 203mm guns. I'm not sure just how advantages it was but I was getting 10k volleys with HE on BB's with the IFHE perk.

Needs more testing and stuff to see if it is a benefit seems as 203mm HE penetration is 37mm. Probably not required and I was only getting lucky volleys. Would 49mm penetration be worth it?

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

I played the Mogami with 155 way before it was nerfed, fast turrets and over 18km range with stealth firing. Wish they made 155mm premium version without all those nerfs to turret rotation :hiding:

I sold Mogami after those changes... it was my n1 all time favorite ship, still is if they give it the same treatment as they did with Kutuzov.. which I bought right after they nerved Mogami :hiding: 

As flamu is very fond of camping at the back his play style may not be for you if you want to help the team and be aggressive.

FEDOmKq.gif

There are few people I would rather have on my team, I kind of like winning games :facepalm:

Edited by mtm78
  • Cool 2

Players
188 posts
3,803 battles

I adore my 155'er A-Hull Mogami. Dunno if its any good, but I like to take the fat lady out for spin just for fun value. There is something special in that machine gun fire rate after all those dull CAs/BBs.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

I've been using the 155mm A-hull setup and Mogami is one of my highest average damage cruisers. In fact, at 69k, it's very narrowly second only to Des Moines (!) and 15k more than my average in the notorious fire-spammers Kutuzov and Atago. I'm also starting to get a little bored with it as it requires you to play very safe and I sometimes feel like switching to the 203s and C hull just so I can go more aggressive. Haven't tried yet though.

It's personal choice really.

Players
1,806 posts
5,762 battles

I can't stand the turret traverse of the 155s, but that's me. Concealment is worse but I prefer the 203s, at least those turn.