You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Cpt_Andre

toggle spotter plane point-of-view on and off

27 comments in this topic

[KVK]
Players
419 posts
11,014 battles

Good morning,

after launching the spotter plane the point-of-view switches from the ship's rangefinder to the elevated spotter plane.

This view is workable for long range shots, but in closer engagements this POV doesn't help.

I would be great if it would be possible to toggle the POV between rangefinders and spotter plane.

For example by pressing the [Launch spotter plane] button again!

Best regards

• Cool 7

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

It properly F's up my aim on BBs. To the point where I don't bother. Really messes up my depth perception. It's ok for cruisers that have it as you can walk fire onto stuff but not with BBs.

Beta Tester
2,607 posts
2,809 battles

This idea has been brought up before, and I think it might be a good one for the developers to look into. Has anyone heard any mention of this from the WG staff?

[SCRUB]
Players
3,432 posts
9,219 battles

i dont ever use the spotter plane. dont like it. id rather wait to get into range.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,672 posts
11,194 battles

HI all,

i dont ever use the spotter plane. dont like it. id rather wait to get into range.

You don't know what you are missing (especially in Ranked)... :B

Leo "Apollo11"

Players
230 posts
5,952 battles

Atleast i dont miss anything. I used spotter plane when i started playing, since that i have never used it. Since it f***s up the camera. I have managed to hammer enemy pretty well without it.

[SARMA]
Beta Tester
486 posts
2,428 battles

spotter plane makes me miss everything because of camera angle.

i only use fighter, if spotter is the only option on the ship than i dont use the plane at all.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,672 posts
11,194 battles

Hi all,

Guys... really... I am not kidding... spotting planes can help you get rid of the smoke-hiding-AP/HE-spewing-ships which is especially useful in Ranked... :)

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,021 posts
14,014 battles

The only things i use the spotter plane for is to be able to look behind islands and see where ships have their turret pointed at. Im never that far away from battle that i would need the extra range. Also as leo said, it helps a lot of pinpointing the location of ships in smoke as you have a much better distance perception from above than frontally.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,672 posts
11,194 battles

Hi all,

The only things i use the spotter plane for is to be able to look behind islands and see where ships have their turret pointed at. Im never that far away from battle that i would need the extra range. Also as leo said, it helps a lot of pinpointing the location of ships in smoke as you have a much better distance perception from above than frontally.

Exactly! :)

One just has to look carefully and if ship in smoke is firing fast salvos you can pinpoint him very easily... I have citadeled to death RN CLs that thought that they were 100% safe (i.e. no Radar and no Hydro threats so they thought all is OK)...

Leo "Apollo11"

Players
188 posts
3,803 battles

Guys... really... I am not kidding... spotting planes can help you get rid of the smoke-hiding-AP/HE-spewing-ships which is especially useful in Ranked... :)

Guys... really... I am not kidding... wearing two pairs of socks really helps you to get around...  Quite a few players can deal with smoke-hiding-AP/HE-spewing-ships without spotter plane. With spotter plane after smoke dissipates you have cope with awkward camera for a far too long time. Not worth it.

Players
385 posts
12,135 battles

Quite a few players can deal with smoke-hiding-AP/HE-spewing-ships without spotter plane. With spotter plane after smoke dissipates you have cope with awkward camera for a far too long time. Not worth it.

Can't deny that it's even easier with the spotter plane up, can you? Also: Why do people find if so hard to lead with the different view at close range? 

Players
188 posts
3,803 battles

Can't deny that it's even easier with the spotter plane up, can you? Also: Why do people find if so hard to lead with the different view at close range? 

Its rather subjective. Some find it easier to engage enemies in smoke while on spotter plane and some find it easier to use normal viewpoint. If your aim doesn't suffer from spotter plane, good for you. I become nigh useless in that viewpoint, and thus prefer hitting smoked enemies after few ranging shots in normal view mode. These must be lil' things that make solid players stand apart from us average Joes.

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,866 posts
8,921 battles

HI all,

You don't know what you are missing (especially in Ranked)... :B

Leo "Apollo11"

I'm usually missing what I've fired at.

I often use it to get some early long range shots in then never use it again.  This is why I never buy the premium consumable, except on HMS Perth.

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,715 posts
12,392 battles

Isn't the whole point of the spotting plane the fact that the "awkward" camera angle is the trade off for the extra range?

[WGB]
[WGB]
Community Contributor
2,127 posts
27,818 battles

It is annoying, let's hope WG make a switch for this in a future update.

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,592 posts
14,031 battles

Its rather subjective. Some find it easier to engage enemies in smoke while on spotter plane and some find it easier to use normal viewpoint. If your aim doesn't suffer from spotter plane, good for you. I become nigh useless in that viewpoint, and thus prefer hitting smoked enemies after few ranging shots in normal view mode. These must be lil' things that make solid players stand apart from us average Joes.

There are two and a half things spotter planes are good for. Applying citadels to lazy cruisers (or other targets) hiding behind isles, shooting into smoke and the obscure extra range.

The trick with smoke is not the point of view (at least not for me) but the targeting/rangefinding of shots. Targeting/rangefinding the water from above is much easier because you actually target something, the water, than targeting/rangefinding from normal view.

However I agree to OP that there should be a toggle, allowing players to choose their view for the next salvo.

[SCRUB]
Players
3,432 posts
9,219 battles

That can be achieved by fast clicking M key. The camera lifts so you can see the ship behind the island. Needs some adjusting to and does not always work.

The problem with spotter plane is that I often want it to land and I cant. You release it, focus some distand enemy and then a DD pops up at 10 km ... try hitting him with this crap camera :)

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Beta Tester
1,478 posts
8,744 battles

my spotter plane pilots sit the entire game out in the mess drinking tea/beer and eating pork pies and getting fatter and fatter because they aint ever going up in one of my games unless I mash my keyboard hitting the wrong key then I stare at the screen wondering if I'm drunk (as usual) due to the completely messed up point of view when aiming

[SCRUB]
Players
3,432 posts
9,219 battles

know it all... I just dont use it because its more of a nerf to me. Its the only non prem consumable i take

[BUSHI]
Players
3,676 posts
19,098 battles

I know how to toggle spotter camera to normal view and vice versa with the same zoom. This is not even a mod, but change of one value in file.

Question is how is WG point of view on this ? If they agree I will tell You, how to do it. Ok ?

I think they don't want such option, becouse they didn't make a simple configuration to make it work.

Beta Tester, Players
365 posts
On 14/02/2017 at 8:37 AM, Cpt_Andre said:

Good morning,

after launching the spotter plane the point-of-view switches from the ship's rangefinder to the elevated spotter plane.

This view is workable for long range shots, but in closer engagements this POV doesn't help.

I would be great if it would be possible to toggle the POV between rangefinders and spotter plane.

For example by pressing the [Launch spotter plane] button again!

Best regards

It's a great suggestion because the POV change is really fscking annoying. Don't expect a useful feature to be implemented any time soon :)

[BUSHI]
Players
3,676 posts
19,098 battles
15 minutes ago, TigerMoth said:

It's a great suggestion because the POV change is really fscking annoying. Don't expect a useful feature to be implemented any time soon :)

I already implemented it ;-) - please read previous post

Weekend Tester
670 posts
7,021 battles

Drifting the thread slightly, is there any particular reason that the spotter plane cool-downs have to be so long - even on the premium version? I don't understand the point of a consumable where you often can't even use half of it in a single game.

IMHO WG ought to introduce both short cool-downs and POV switching. That'd give a much more flexible gameplay.

In fact, if WG want to make the game a bit more realistic, a spotter plane ought to give a vision bonus to all friendly team ships within a certain distance. In real life, a ground or air spotter might adjust multiple fire units simultaneously.

• Cool 1