You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
rudeflounder4

uss colorado any good

45 comments in this topic

so i am farming my way up in the US BB line but is the uss colorado any good other wise i would skip it and how mush doubloons would i need to convert all those xp from premium ships?

Well i can give you something very simple and you can decide on your own:

Colorado

Pros:

- Nice Guns (410 mm hit hard and good dispersion)

- Very Nice AA (very typical for USN BB's)

- Very good Armored (if you angle this ship most AP shells just bounce harmless off)

- Rather good Trunning Circle

Cons:

- Guns Position and Turrets (It's not a flaw but you have only 4 guns at front and 4 at the back. If you want to shout with all of them you will need to show some broadside)

- Very Slagisch in Speed wise (yes you still have a bloody 20 knot speed limit at T7. Its mainly the point where people actually give up on it)

- Stock hull is a no-go (it's just bad.)

I hope i was able to give you a raf idea what the ship is like.

I'm playing the ship and sometimes i find it enjoyable to see people just die because of my [edited]guns but sometimes you realize that your speed is really the main issue of the Colorado. So you should make your own decision.

About the Doubloons and free exp. i believe the ship costs 130k exp to the nc if you have complettly research all components. 

So for 130k exp you would ned 5200 Doubloons if the rate is 25 Exp for 1 Doubloon

130k exp you would need 3715 Doubloons if the rate is 35 Exp for 1 Doubloon.

I hope i was able to help you with your problem.

Happy Sailing :tea_cap:

• Cool 1

As long as you don´t play ranked in her i´m happy.

What is wrong with her Ranked performance? Fairly tanky, one of the best BB heals, big punchy guns, good AA, nimble and all her secondaries fire HE and has the same base range as the Nagato.

What is wrong with her Ranked performance? Fairly tanky, one of the best BB heals, big punchy guns, good AA, nimble and all her secondaries fire HE and has the same base range as the Nagato.

Sluggish and slow, slow turret traverse, inaccurate guns and the armor isn´t that great at all.

Nagato isn´t suited that well either.

• Cool 2

I find the buffed up version of Colorado to be fairly accurate and have the most brutal AP on her tier. No matter that Nagato has bigger caliber, the US AP punches very hard at angles. Don't skip Colorado, but save those free XP to skip the first hull of North Carolina, which will drive you nuts (maneuverablility is atrocious). I played US BB as my second Battleship line and enjoyed the new Colorado a lot and she rewarded me with Krakens in return.

For ranked, she works as an artillery platform and is fairly ok till rank 10. But be mindful that once Scharnhorst or Gneisenau close in you will just be overrun.

jss78   

It's unusually slow for T7 BB, that's a deal breaker for many and you'll have to decide for yourself there.

Also the grind to all the modules is exceptionally nasty. It really needs to range/AA/handling/speed it gets with the modules to be tolerable.

BUT -- fully upgraded I actually really like it.

I'm liking it just fine for ranked too. People make a big deal out of what ship you should bring, but it's always mostly about the player.

Sluggish and slow, slow turret traverse, inaccurate guns and the armor isn´t that great at all.

Nagato isn´t suited that well either.

Yes Colo is just too slow, a game can literally run away from you.

I don't see why Flamu says Nagato is good, I tried using her and had to go German. Naga is too slow and armour is too bad,  Ranked meta doesn't suit 32s reload guns either and the ranges you fight at she over pens everything to hell.

This might just be pure luck, but so far I have managed to win the 4 games I played in the Colorado in Ranked (extremely small sample size but bear with me). I found some interesting things about it, first off the guns. The guns are very punchy and reload faster than the Nagato, and while the turret traverse is slow it is workable, and they have no real issues punching straight through angled cruisers and dealing solid damage to the Gneisenau and Scharnhorst even when they angle.

Torpedo protection is by far the best, and armor wise it is atleast better than the Nagato. And it is more difficult to citadel, and the low HP is offset by having a more powerful heal so I never felt squishy. Only real problem is the speed, but if you do your job and hang around the cap points the commute between the caps is not that long and the engagement distances tend to be around the caps anyways so ships tend to come to you.

Is it competitive? I am almost inclined to say yes (but that is because I hated the flavour of the month Gneisenau) and I enjoy playing it in Ranked and do fairly well in it. My point is, so far I have never felt like the Colorado is a liability. It can take a beating, it can dish out damage and it can both take point and support from the second line so it basically ticks all the boxes a BB should fulfill in Ranked.

Cons:

- Guns Position and Turrets (It's not a flaw but you have only 4 guns at front and 4 at the back. If you want to shout with all of them you will need to show some broadside)

this is not a con 4 x 4 is a good layout.

and even if you dont "like" the 4x4

colorado has verry nice firing angles at its back turrets which makes anglinfg easy and efficient.

View PostNegativvv, on 12 February 2017 - 01:47 AM, said:

I don't see why Flamu says Nagato is good, I tried using her and had to go German. Naga is too slow and armour is too bad,  Ranked meta doesn't suit 32s reload guns either and the ranges you fight at she over pens everything to hell.

well its a really good BB having played her to rank 1 last time so i agree on that part.

problem i see currently it takes massive dmg from ifhe and rn ap (same goes for colo).

germans too but they have a bit better armor to deflect tohose appart from the superstructure.

mariouus   

so i am farming my way up in the US BB line but is the uss colorado any good other wise i would skip it and how mush doubloons would i need to convert all those xp from premium ships?

Last time I played it, it was in its un-buffed state.And it was not good.But still, my best battle I have ever played was (and still is) in Colorado. Today just re-bought it do answer your question. And now it is actually rather good. While it used to be much worse than Nagato in almost every usable way, now it is only slower than Nagato. It does have very good guns, way better than Nagatos guns. Armor usually holds up, but yes IFHE affects this ship more than germans.

well its a really good BB having played her to rank 1 last time so i agree on that part.

problem i see currently it takes massive dmg from ifhe and rn ap (same goes for colo).

germans too but they have a bit better armor to deflect tohose appart from the superstructure.

Could argue the meta has changed since Season 4 and Naga is less viable than she used to be, even with the armour buff.

Last time I played it, it was in its un-buffed state.And it was not good.But still, my best battle I have ever played was (and still is) in Colorado. Today just re-bought it do answer your question. And now it is actually rather good. While it used to be much worse than Nagato in almost every usable way, now it is only slower than Nagato. It does have very good guns, way better than Nagatos guns. Armor usually holds up, but yes IFHE affects this ship more than germans.

Colorado's armour pattern means there are a lot of lightly armoured parts of the ship, so IFHE will sting. I still don't see the trade off with USN All or Nothing armour as 15" Gnesi guns can still get very respectable citadels against the Colorado.

Synth_FG   

I hated Colorado, the ships only redeeming feature was the aa on the C hull,

otherwise Inaccurate guns with no hitting power, armour not worth a damn from any angle other than bow on and god is she slow , 

• Cool 1

mariouus   

Colorado's armour pattern means there are a lot of lightly armoured parts of the ship, so IFHE will sting. I still don't see the trade off with USN All or Nothing armour as 15" Gnesi guns can still get very respectable citadels against the Colorado.

I agree, Colorado is now a decent ship, when compared to Nagato. It used to be much weaker than Nagato. But against German BBs both of them are weaker. This is because flawed implementation of German BBs, Longer but weaker armorbelt means that it will take less damage from IFHE, while faults in implementing turtelpack armor, gives it zone of immunity against citadeling from 0-20.km

rage1750   

I originally enjoyed the Colorado, good ship but got utterly fed up with her speed which turned something I originally enjoyed into a grind.  Ended up free XP'ing 40K as I could not face playing her any longer.  

Good ship, painful speed.

mariouus   

Don't bother with the US BBs since the Germans turned up its not worth it.

So far not regretting reburying her.

shot_17_02_12_19_24_37_0498.jpg

shot_17_02_12_19_22_22_0800.jpg

While against germans, it is bit of a disappointing, It is usually better do have more smaller caliber guns, like on Arizona or New Mexico, against them. But not that big of a problem. In its own tier it is a very nice ship, no need to free xp it.

Apparently her rear turret can turn 360.degrees.

shot_17_02_12_19_00_26_0110.jpgpic host

• Cool 1

I'm getting along fine with this.  I'm using Segal on 15 points and she's quite dangerous, given the power of the opposition.

nambr9   

I'm getting along fine with this.  I'm using Segal on 15 points and she's quite dangerous, given the power of the opposition.

Seagal has no business in the Colorado.

Stick him in Iowa or Missouri where he belongs.

So far not regretting reburying her.

shot_17_02_12_19_24_37_0498.jpg

shot_17_02_12_19_22_22_0800.jpg

While against germans, it is bit of a disappointing, It is usually better do have more smaller caliber guns, like on Arizona or New Mexico, against them. But not that big of a problem. In its own tier it is a very nice ship, no need to free xp it.

Apparently her rear turret can turn 360.degrees.

shot_17_02_12_19_00_26_0110.jpgpic host

I thought that was turret 2 instead...

But put simply, yes. Colorado is a good ship, she hits like a 5'000t mineral train and her armour is sturdy enough to work with so you can stay around and export 16" AP to customers. 

swmrABo.jpg

Nedrake   

I've heard much trash talk about Colorado, so I got my mindset ready when I bought her yesterday. I ran 3 matches as stock, and I can understand where the critism comes from but it was still quite enjoyable actually. Sank 1-2 ships each match, nothing fancy but I kept a close to medium range position and never got myself into trouble. I guess MM was kind to me.

Looking forward to upgrade this beast.

Colorado stock is just bad but by god when its upgraded its a damn good ship

the armour is very workable at tier7 and 8 but yea tier 9 bbs will pen it everywhere but that's fair in my view

aa is damn good for tier7 yea it don't seem gneisenau level but you have to remember Colorado was one of the original bbs

reason Colorado gets slagged to hell by players is because she truly aint as good as negato and that's ok but now we have the gneisenau and though the german bb has 2 lest guns she seems to perform better but wait whats that another german bb that seems better than em all and yea welcome to the Scharnhorst the german bb that proves It aint all about the big guns

as I said above Colorado is good but it aint "great" but good news the next ship is very good yup the north Carolina is a damn big improvement on the Colorado only problem is she sees tier 10 way more than a Colorado sees tier 9

Edited by beercrazy

Colorado is for me the first in this line that I do good in.  I play ranked battles with it (up to 12 now) with 60% winrate. Most games I have about 100000 k damage in ranked with it. If it doesn t work in a game it is mostly a complete teamfail (like today in ranked where we were wiped out 7-0, that s when I do only 40 k damage).

In ranked I use the flag for 5 knots extra speed. But without it would not make much difference. I find the guns accurate enough and strong enough, and enjoy it quite well in ranked.

I had a fight with Nagato and two german tier 7 ´s and a DD this morning, I concentrated mostly on Nagato (but the DD got a salvo from me also) and almost killed him in this situation of three (and a DD) against me.