IanH755

How would you "sell" this game to a new player?

• You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

74 posts in this topic

The unfortunate problem is that if you're better than everyone else, then everyone else is by default worse than you. So by their standards everyone else isnt doing what they should.

Human nature to expect to win more than they should. You have bad/average players who think they should win more without understanding why they lose, and you get good players who get it into their heads that they're amazing players and suddenly start thinking 55%WR = win every game

Thing is... only one player is better than everyone else.

According to a survey, most males believe they are better drivers than the norm. I guess that goes for online gamers as well.

I've seen mods where you can fly with your ship in space.

That was afaik that WG April's fool event.

Beautifully modeled ships, amazing in-game sounds, garbage game mechanics and balancing, that's an accurate description of WoWs, like it or not.

That was afaik that WG April's fool event.

Ahh like the Radio Positioning thang.. LOOOL they got me there..

One thing:

The beauty of firing salvos of 9-12 shells and watching them landing on target.

It also has a somewhat "Easy Mode" if you have a good...Credit Card. You don't have to go through the "pain" of playing matches in vanilla ships. Nope, directly to fully upgraded ones, that's "skill".

I would not recommend this game to anyone unless they are definitely able to resist paying to play (or are very rich) and are able to enjoy their losing games.

Good;

It has an addictive quality, which can be both a good and bad aspect to a game of course.

Nice ship  models.

Queue times are short.

Bad

It can be addictive.

It has an envious way of taking money from its players. It is just too easy to make that late Friday night purchase when decision making is hampered by inebriates. I have spent far too much and I shudder to think what some have spent.

Games can be very frustrating. I don't enjoy losing much at all, around 20% of my losing games are enjoyable, around 70% of my wins are enjoyable, so much of my time playing is not much fun. This makes no sense for a game I have spent so much money on.

Awful mission designs that actively promote bad team-play.

Poor match-making. Tier 5 especially is brutal now, consequently I have two tier 5 premiums that I no longer play.

The game seems to be heading towards an ever lower skill requirement.

I have started an account on the NA server. I play the occasional few games there but I have not and will not ever spend one penny. I have discovered that it is much more fun when not invested and is the only rational way for me to play the game.

Edited by ATAG_Septic

You can put flags on your ship, and with mods, turn those flags into Pantsu.

Coversation like this:

You like ships?

-yeah

You like ships with guns?

-yeah

You might like World of Warships then.

-yeah?

and it's free 

Haha why do I like this so much?

Hello my friend!

Look at yourself,

now back to WoWs.

Now back at yourself,

now back to WoWs.

Sadly, you don't play WoWs yet,

but if you stopped playing filthy casual mobile games you could download it for free!

Look down, back up, where are you?

You're on a boat with giant [edited] cannons!

What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it.

It's an invite code that'll get you 2 premium ships!

Look again. The invite code is now dubloons!

Everything is possible when you're playing WoWs and not your casual bull[edited].

I just sunk the Yamato.

Hahaha <3 You guys...

Kandly approved. GG.

giphy.gif

1 person likes this

Coversation like this:

You like ships?

-yeah

-yeah

-yeah?

and it's free 

There are a few points missing, like...

You only want to play battleships?

Your IQ is < 90?

You hate thinking while playing?

You never take advice from better players?

Because you think there are no better players and your 40% winrate is because you get bad teams all the time?

You don't want to get better because you think you are already good and your terrible stats mean nothing?

You want a game that adapts to bad players rather than encouraging bad players to adapt to the game?

If all those are yeahs, then WoWS is definitely for you...

And yes I am jaded, and the only two meaningful reasons for continuing to play are lack of alternatives and the time and/or money invested in my advancement, which I suspect is true for a lot of the bitter players that keep on playing...

1 person likes this

And yes I am jaded, and the only two meaningful reasons for continuing to play are lack of alternatives and the time and/or money invested in my advancement, which I suspect is true for a lot of the bitter players that keep on playing...

So much this!

I would not. Not anymore.

Powercreep is at full speed and community, forums included are becoming more toxic every day.

That's why I am more and more absent from forums and frome the game.

Luckily my Steam library has hundreds of games waiting to be played. :)

It was fun during CBT and the early days but..

If he is hard-working and an ambitious, you could always tell him about the new weekly missions. 

You have to try hard, repeat over and over and then be among the few who get those 'fair' prizes. 

Ex. In a single battle : Detonate 3 ships in a game, with secondaries, from 10 km's away, in a CV.

"You like to play carriers?"

"I know what game you should play"

Starcraft 2? Supreme Commander?

SupCom has Carrier that can submerge, so that's quite interesting.

There is no point trying to sell this game on pure gameplay value to someone who is not interested in ships as they may as well play any FPS or MOBA.

The draw of this game is it merges awesome and famous ships, beautifully modelled for those who are interested in them, with relatively simple action gameplay. It's not a full naval simulation but there are more niche games for people who really want that. But these are usually cottage industry games that are very buggy and/or have bad graphics, and take a huge time investment to learn and play, and that doesn't suit everyone. 

Somehow funny and sad, how people writing here, seemingly have no reason to play the game, but still are here...

I still come to the forums quite reguralrily to check if WG would come to their senses and bring back the balance that I found in the beginning (Yeah, I know, fat chance)

I play maybe once every other week for about 2-5 matches, when in the beginning I was playing 4-7 days a week with about 50-60 battles a week.

The game is simply not fun anymore and the proposed new captain skills look like they will make the game even less enjoyable, unless you only play BB's and really like them. I came here to play all classes of ships, found out I suck in CV, did great in DD and BB and ok'ish in CA. That is untill WG started to buff BB's patch after patch. Even now I find BB play "meh", not that I would do bad in them, but because they are too easy in general.

Edited by Gleb_Reawer

1 person likes this

Starcraft 2? Supreme Commander?

SupCom has Carrier that can submerge, so that's quite interesting.

The mighty Atlantis, kind of turned into a torp boat later though, but still nice

so true :(

Coversation like this:

You like ships?

-yeah

-yeah

-yeah?

and it's free 

Haha why do I like this so much?

giphy.gif

I would say to stay away from it, it's turning into a baby game:

1. No more guns incapacitated

2. Reflective team damage

3. Carrier AA consumeable

4. All kinds of other "softening" of the WW2 genre :P:)