You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Domin1c

King of The Sea 1 Tournament Announcement!

80 comments in this topic

[AAO]
Tournament Organizer
232 posts
13,118 battles

The World of Warships competitive community proudly presents:

King of the Sea Tournament 1

After crowning the first King of the Sea, OMNI-Vegetables, in December the hunt is on. Being the King is not only a blessing but also a curse. All captains want to steal the crown and with it the glory. To give all players the chance to challenge the King there will be a tournament every month in which the King as to prove that he is still the ultimate power ruling the sea.

The next test for the King will be held on the:

22nd and 29th of January

Signup will open on the 14th of January at 18:00. Be ready, it is first come first served, with priority given to the King, and the teams which submitted a team last time, but did not make it in. Stay alert!

If the last tournament is anything to go by, we expect the spots to go very quickly so have your team roster sorted out and ready to submit as soon as the signups go live. You cannot sign up a team without at least 9 people (max 12).

General rules:

• 9vs9, Tier 8
  • 12 members per team
  • Up to 3 teams per clan/community
  • Maximum 32 Teams (special invitations to those who didn’t get in in December)
  • All teams progressing past the first round will receive a reward
  • Map pool: Trident, Shards, Hotspot, Islands of Ice, Trap, Sea of Fortune, Neighbors

All rules can be found here. Schedule here, and brackets here.

The events will be streamed and a prize pool worth over 250.000 doubloons awaits the teams. Prepare your ships, ready your guns and load your torpedo tubes, the hunt is on!

Please contact Eclaire (TTT), Tobiassho (AAO), Ataww (TTT) or Domin1c (AAO) if you have any questions.

Edited by Domin1c
  • Cool 18

[OM]
Players
612 posts
10,934 battles

So, u are giving "special treatment" for teams who didnot care enough to register in time during the last registerphase? 

And you expect people to consider this fair? Than u can might as well go up to 64 teams or have fun with some arguements :red_button:

Edited by TheLegendBegins
  • Cool 3

[-RT-]
Players
299 posts
19,033 battles

Just wondering: how many teams did not get to participate last time because of the late signup?

I would suggest to exclude teams that signed up for winter king and did not show up/showed up in less than 9 ppl (dont know how many cases that was but know about 1 for sure).

Thanks for answering and for organizing this :).

[AAO]
Tournament Organizer
232 posts
13,118 battles

So, u are giving "special treatment" for teams who didnot care enough to register in time during the last registerphase? 

And you expect people to consider this fair? Than u can might as well go up to 64 teams or have fun with some arguements :red_button:

We had 35+ signups in 24 hours, no I would not call people who didn't make it lazy. The special invitation only goes out to the people who were quick to sign up in the last thread (before signups closed) but didn't make it in due to being just a little bit too late.

Everyone was surprised how much attention we got, and we, the organizers, are doing this for the community and we want to give everyone a chance to participate.

Edited by Domin1c

[WGP2W]
Players
984 posts
10,091 battles

You mean the hunt for Flamu? That was our catchphrase, kek. Also, your statement in the initial post kinda contradicts itself, because if you give a priority to a certain group of teams, then it can't obviously be "first come, first served" basis.

Also, will this be now happening every month or..?

Cheers,
~t3h'Pâr4d0x

[AAO]
Tournament Organizer
314 posts
11,146 battles

Guys, be reasonable. We are still learning and trying to do what is best and fair for everybody.

We had an overwhelming interest for the Crowning of the Winterking which we didn’t expect at that time. We had some minor hiccups with the signup so we promised all the teams that didn’t make the cut in our first tournament preferred excess to the next one. And we stick to our promises. So we contacted all team leaders of the teams and we give them the chance to claim their spot first.

We will not do this anymore for future tournaments. This is a onetime thing! Basically we are still cleaning up some mess from the last tournament and we want to keep our promises. We are also looking for ways to get more teams in in future events but with the amount of people working on the project right now it is not possible.

MrConway did a looking for volunteers post a week ago. We got very little response. For all of you who cry out loud: if you want to change something and help us improving you are more than welcome to join us. We need your help! Stop whining about things, help us changing them. If you are not willing to put time and effort into things you want to change they don’t bother you enough.

• Cool 3

[-RT-]
Players
299 posts
19,033 battles

Just wondering: how many teams did not get to participate last time because of the late signup?

I would suggest to exclude teams that signed up for winter king and did not show up/showed up in less than 9 ppl (dont know how many cases that was but know about 1 for sure).

Thanks for answering and for organizing this :).

Ninja bump for my unanswered question...

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

Guys, be reasonable. We are still learning and trying to do what is best and fair for everybody.

We had an overwhelming interest for the Crowning of the Winterking which we didn’t expect at that time. We had some minor hiccups with the signup so we promised all the teams that didn’t make the cut in our first tournament preferred excess to the next one. And we stick to our promises. So we contacted all team leaders of the teams and we give them the chance to claim their spot first.

We will not do this anymore for future tournaments. This is a onetime thing! Basically we are still cleaning up some mess from the last tournament and we want to keep our promises. We are also looking for ways to get more teams in in future events but with the amount of people working on the project right now it is not possible.

MrConway did a looking for volunteers post a week ago. We got very little response. For all of you who cry out loud: if you want to change something and help us improving you are more than welcome to join us. We need your help! Stop whining about things, help us changing them. If you are not willing to put time and effort into things you want to change they don’t bother you enough.

What is stopping you from making the roster bigger if there is so much interest?

[TTT]
[TTT]
Tournament Organizer
107 posts
14,274 battles

1. We should know in a few days. Those teams that missed out have been given an earlier deadline to commit to play and submit their roster. As mentioned this will be a one-time deal - filling up in less than 24hrs caught everyone off guard last time, everyone's been forewarned now.

2. We did have two teams that couldn't field a full roster on the day. That's less than 10% (less than we expected) and both of those were in touch with us the moment they knew they knew they couldn't make it. **** happens, I'm not really comfortable excluding them on that basis. That said you make a valid point though, we may adjust the rules so that those teams unable to field a team on the day will be excluded from the following iteration. The intention here wouldn't be to punish anyone but to ensure that people only sign up if they are truly confident they can field a full team on the day and not deny anyone else the chance to play.

Definitely something to think about, thanks for the input.

What is stopping you from making the roster bigger if there is so much interest?

Logistics, basically. The effort involved increases non-linearly as we add more than 32 teams, both in terms of the prep work we have to do to get everyone up to speed, and in actually running the games. The first round would be 32 nigh-simultaneous matches, more than the total number we ran on day one of the Winter King. Which truth be told was about the max we could handle smoothly with the organizers we have now. 

I'll point again to MrConways volunteers post Tobiassho referenced above. If we have the capacity in place I see no reason we wouldn't expand to 64 teams but as is right now it's not feasible yet.

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
1,674 posts
10,488 battles

Logistics, basically. The effort involved increases non-linearly as we add more than 32 teams, both in terms of the prep work we have to do to get everyone up to speed, and in actually running the games. The first round would be 32 nigh-simultaneous matches, more than the total number we ran on day one of the Winter King. Which truth be told was about the max we could handle smoothly with the organizers we have now. 

I'll point again to MrConways volunteers post Tobiassho referenced above. If we have the capacity in place I see no reason we wouldn't expand to 64 teams but as is right now it's not feasible yet.

Fair point. I hope enough captains will answer the call to help develop the tournament scene.

Imho there is no better way to show WG that the community cares for the competitive side of WoWs, and to motivate them to put in more efforts into it.

[WGP2W]
Players
984 posts
10,091 battles

Fair point. I hope enough captains will answer the call to help develop the tournament scene.

Imho there is no better way to show WG that the community cares for the competitive side of WoWs, and to motivate them to put in more efforts into it.

All the efforts WG needs to put into this = 1 line of C++ code or whatever is this game written in. WG enables Team Battles, puts in some Signal Flags, Doubloons or other stuff and everyone walks away happy. It should be the priority for people organizing these little fun tournaments, who're also in contact with people like MrConway and others to properly communicate this message and make sure, this message gets repeated on every single stream, until WG hears it out. All in all, these tournaments won't get us anywhere and might even confuse WG as to what we actually want, so they might start developing some mental global map and will introduce the actual Clan Wars in 2018 or something like that, while once again, all there is, is a simply fix with 1 line of code simply re-enabling Team Battles and that's it.

Cheers,
~t3h'Pâr4d0x

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

Team battles are not as valuable as the tournaments since there would be no team rosters, no streaming schedule and thus no spectators. Team battles would be nice to have back regardless but not in place of these tournaments. Especially the last tournament was an absolute pleasure to watch. The exposure for the competitive aspect of the game is a lot bigger with the tournaments.

What I do hope though is that WG then also pays attention to the input of the competitive clans, which according to my knowledge have all stated RDF would kill the game.

• Cool 2

[VPM]
Alpha Tester
7 posts
9,483 battles

Sorry to sound Silly but what do you mean with RDF ? i have no clue atm maybe it is cause im just back from work and cant think anything logical!

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

RDF = radio position finding, aka Potato Finder, a skill in PTS which should never make it into the live client.

Edit: sorry for off-topic.

Weekend Tester
1,674 posts
10,488 battles

All the efforts WG needs to put into this = 1 line of C++ code or whatever is this game written in. WG enables Team Battles, puts in some Signal Flags, Doubloons or other stuff and everyone walks away happy. It should be the priority for people organizing these little fun tournaments, who're also in contact with people like MrConway and others to properly communicate this message and make sure, this message gets repeated on every single stream, until WG hears it out. All in all, these tournaments won't get us anywhere and might even confuse WG as to what we actually want, so they might start developing some mental global map and will introduce the actual Clan Wars in 2018 or something like that, while once again, all there is, is a simply fix with 1 line of code simply re-enabling Team Battles and that's it.

Cheers,
~t3h'Pâr4d0x

I tend to agree with you mostly, however tournaments provide the "visibility" that TBs basically lack.

Lets be honest, WG screwed imho a great idea and concept of TBs with some basic mistakes such as lack of rewards, lack of advertising of new gamemode, putting limits such as at least 3 team members present to get into MM queue (i.e. why not only one if he/she wishes to have a team full of mercenaries?), implementing ELO in the early stage which while being a good approach created some issues with queues...

All in all, they mistakenly concluded from the data gathered that it is not a popular mode and basically discontinued the development. Playing WG games predominantly since 2010, I am sure that their view was very simplistic and something like: we had x battles with y unique participants which is z out of the total playerbase, hence it is not profitable & worthwhile to develop further. For sure they did not approach the issue like for example: Lets analyze if there were mistakes on our side, lets invest some time, money and effort to fix them and find out what the playerbase is looking for, and lets repeat the process a few times until we get it right.

So its a catch 22 basically.  It cannot get more popular unless they put in some effort, and they seem to not think the effort is worthwhile due to low popularity in the first round.

If on the other side they see 30+ or 60+ teams regularly participating at tournaments and having thousands of viewers on Twitch, Youtube and whatnot, I believe it might provide the necessary data to the decisionmakers that it is time to revisit TB as well as speed up CW and so on.

• Cool 2

Players
689 posts
12,709 battles

well just as Winter king ended i submitted an idea of a tier X tournament, a bit different kind of what we have seen up untill now, Tuccy transfered me to Phaelan  and Kandly who didnt even answer my post for weeks now, so yeah people are trying, my clan was willing to put in effort but not even a response to 4 of my group messages....
Edited by SexyCroat
  • Cool 2

Weekend Tester
1,674 posts
10,488 battles

well just as Winter king ended i submitted an idea of a tier X tournament, a bit different kind of what we have seen up untill now, Tuccy transfered me to Phaelan  and Kandly who didnt even answer my post for weeks now, so yeah people are trying, my clan was willing to put in effort but not even a response to 4 of my group messages....

Maybe you could post the ideas here on forums?

It will allow for better visibility and for other members of the community / WG to get involved and promote it.

I am sure that good proposals will eventually be tried and implemented.

• Cool 1

[IDDQD]
Beta Tester
278 posts
10,402 battles

+like to an idea of tier X since this will encourage many to finally buy top-tier and improve the quality of teams along with more fun both for players and also stream-viewers :P

Players
689 posts
12,709 battles

+like to an idea of tier X since this will encourage many to finally buy top-tier and improve the quality of teams along with more fun both for players and also stream-viewers :P

that was the point of tier x tournament, and also WG could have gotten an insight into 11 vs 11 (+1 streamer on each side) mode for CW or team battles, becouse lets face it if we only get 7 vs 7 or 9 vs 9 it might get a bit dull after a while. ill copy what i wrote tehre and if someone has the will to chase them go for it, if you even like the mode;

"Hello dear community team, as i wrote before our intention (Krakren Crew clan) is to make a tier X tournament for teams/clans from EU server, consisting of the following format: (my idea, open for corrections) 

Knockout elimination mode (over two weekends, one battle per day with finals the day after last semifinal)

*first round 32 teams

*second round 16 teams

*third round 8 teams

Battles:

-11 vs 11 best out of 3, +1 streamer per side

-tier X only

-max 4 BB

-max 1 CV

-max 3 DD (2 USN max)

Maps that are beeing played to be restricted to ranked format, meaning 2 caps to limit the engagement area and make it more interesting by moving all ships to closer ranges. Also big maps such as Islands of ice were meant to be avoided as it is hard to implement 2 caps in those maps since the islandas are placed for 3 caps.

I believe that it will generate a large number of participants as all tournaments up untill now are tier VIII, and it could serve WG for some  kind of introduction to upcoming Clan Wars and of course prove some basic data about format of CW you are going to/plan to impelment. IT could be a win win situation for the competitive community and WG. There is a large interest in the community,  as for The Winter king there were over 60  applicants for 32 places.

Rewards:

1st place: A big hurray from the organisers, and a pat on the back

2nd place: Just a hurray and two pats on the back

3rd place: A handshake and a warm hug

4th place: A simpathetic "there, there"
(unless you boys want to fill in some prem ships or something)"

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

2 cap maps in 7v7 is already becoming dull for me, 3 cap maps give so much more opportunities for tactics. Which is why I watch the tournaments, tactics. Not brawls, that is boring :hiding:

So a 11 v 11 with ships with even greater ranges on smaller more restricted maps, no thanks I would not like it. 

Players
689 posts
12,709 battles

2 cap maps in 7v7 is already becoming dull for me, 3 cap maps give so much more opportunities for tactics. Which is why I watch the tournaments, tactics. Not brawls, that is boring :hiding:

So a 11 v 11 with ships with even greater ranges on smaller more restricted maps, no thanks I would not like it. 

just an idea, open for corrections :)

[TTT]
[TTT]
Tournament Organizer
107 posts
14,274 battles

Hi SexyCroat,

Interesting idea, and worth discussing at some point.

We're trying to keep this thread focused on the King of the Sea discussions though please

[TTT]
[TTT]
Tournament Organizer
107 posts
14,274 battles

Any info about how many slots are left?

Eight teams from those that missed out on the Winter King have confirmed:

Old School Crew    Lanza naval    L'amirauté    Gamer4Life    OPA - KM    Kaper Kommando    Domingueros del KNN    Dynamite Ducks

leaves 24 spots, including the one for returning King OMNI Vegetables

• Cool 1