Kandly

Update 0.5.16 Feedback - Bastion mode on new Maps: North & Hotspot

24 comments in this topic

Players
408 posts
651 battles

Captains,

Please post all feedback regarding the Bastion mode on new Maps here.

Best,

Kandly

[TTTX]
Players
1,841 posts
7,432 battles

Bastion is imo the worst game mode and should be removed, not expanded. It encourages passive gameplay by making caps more difficult to attack. But besides that, what the [edited]is this minimap?

fckYujT.png

It's impossible to recognize which circle on there means what without thinking about it for several seconds, which makes the circles completely useless. Please make it possible to turn of the circles around forts.

[OM-G]
Privateer
534 posts
13,623 battles

Full ack. Gamemode should be disabled and never been played again.

It can be fun if a team once in a lifetime act as a team (comes every 500 battles)

Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles

kick the guy who thought this would be balanced. ffs i was in zao 12km away from fort and it took 10k hp from me in 3 shots. it is too accurate and powerful for normal random gameplay.
or keep this mode for coop.

in few bastion matches i played this evening mvp was almost always fort with 4-5 kills per match.

• Cool 1

Players
4,392 posts
12,107 battles

I must totally agree: Removing this abomination would highly improve my game joy. And take Shards with it while you're @ it.

• Cool 1

[CHTBN]
Players
103 posts
4,936 battles

bastion is no good ... get rid of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Players
23 posts
15,504 battles

i love the old fort, maybe increase fire accuracy is ok, but now it's just too op. i just had a game where i'm on B (2 and 3) point on north and enemy fort at C (4) can hit me every 5 seconds and take away 3k health each time. i'm roon. this is just not right.

besides HE does 3-4k on hit and ap can bounce?

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles

Tested the bastion Mode in Training rooms (Hotspot map, multiple ships) and also was confirmed in this funny and at the same time sad YT vid, which more or less confirms my thoughts on it:

Feedback on forts/stations:

1. Surveillance stations:

- hitboxes are way too small.

- from distances >10km combined with the ingame aiming adjustments when locked onto a target it is nearly impossible to hit that tiny hitbox, which seems to be the upper third of that small tower.

- from distances < 10km it still takes an insane amount of luck but is doable with accurate guns (tested with Zao). But in close range you have a different problem. The gun elevation while fully zoomed in most ships does not allow a zoomed in aim at the target. You have to zoom out to bypass this resctriction to be able to aim at the station.

2. Forts:

- Hitboxes on the forts are kind of a mixed bag. You don't really see the guns of the forts from a distance and need some kind of plunging angle to do damage with AP shells and direct damage with HE. Hittig the wall doesn't seem to do anything, exept splash/occasional fires, which is a huge problem if you are close.

- 200.000 Hitpoints and a surpressed time of ~ 2 mins (?) is somewhat out of line. A DD has 0 Chance to surpress the fort before he gets ripped apart by the forts guns (see below) and even a Cruiser like the Zao needs 10-15 Salvoes of AP that actually hit and do damage (you can bounce!). So in reality it is more like 20 salvos from a Zao which equals into 3-4 mins doing nothing else but shooting at the fort.

[ gameplay feedback mixed in: If you have several ships fire at the fort, this ofc reduces the time. But were talking about randoms and teamplay and focusfire on a fort. And  you have to probably repeat this after the 2 min downtime because it is not certain that you cap that point during that timeframe because enemies ]

- forts guns: way too powerfull and accurate. That HE damage wrecks DDs in notime and destroys modules with every hit. I got my engine knocked out in my Khaba 3 times in a row while losing 10k hp within 1 min being at a distance of 10-13km from the fort. Module damage is ofc also an issue for Cruisers and BBs while the damage, still being high enough to have an impact and very annoying, can be somewhat dealt with.

Feedback gameplay:

I really have to say WTF? WHY?

What are DDs supposed to do in this gamemode? They can't go for those mini capcircles because thy will get spotted by the "impossible-to -hit" surveillance stations and wrecked by the forts without taking an enemy ship into account in this scenario (you know, those red guys who tend to shoot at you). On top of that, they need half the team shooting at the fort/station to have a chance of surpressing them (for 2 freaking minutes, yay). The placement of the surveillance stations does not even allow a cap on Hotspot, since those circles are so small. You will get spotted every single time.

In the posted Vid you can see forts having 5+ kills in a match. What is that supposed to achieve?

Capcircles in random games are spots on the maps which are often abandoned by BB and CA players and are the main fighting spots for DDs. With this gamemode you force DDs out of these spots and away from their primary objective. Again : WTF?

Suggested changes (if you really intend to keep this bad gamemode):

- reduce accuracy and module damage of forts

- give forts a minimum firing angle, so they cannot shoot DDs/small ships which are closer than ~ 4-5km so you create a zone where DDs can actually cap.

- give forts a priority target list when it has multiple targets to shoot at: 1. BBs, 2. CAs, 3. DDs

- significantly increase the surveillnace station hitboxes and/or make targeting them easier when locked.

Edited by LilJumpa
  • Cool 3

Players
21 posts

remove the bastion from tier 9-10, I cant have a proper fight on this mod oftenly causing me deal lesser damage and lowering my stats which ends up with credit losses, new hotspot bastion design also terrible,

[D_T_M]
Beta Tester
7 posts
11,196 battles

when will we have the chance to switch of bastion mode some players like myself dont like that made but you are forcing us to play it hope we are given the chance soon 

[V888]
Players
179 posts

Just played bastion mode on North in a Minotaur, did zero damage against forts.

Before patch the british AP shells did dmg to forts.

Edited by Reckie

Players
5 posts
5,447 battles

Someone get this game mode out until they actually balance those guns on the forts. I'm supose to be carefull at enemy fire, enemy torps, enemy planes. but wait, let's add some 80% 5 k dmg 99% accuracy guns with 13 km range to the mix to make it so much more challenging. No thanks.

Or at least make it like in World of Tanks where you can actually disable mods.

Edited by zaraptile

[GGGC]
Players
70 posts
10,664 battles

Just came off Hotspot bastion with my new Akizuki. Never felt so utterly useless since I started playing.

My Ap does nothing, especially at closer ranges, and the HE has to burn the fort to really do something. Being out in the open just means I get shot to pieces by the fort, and getting in close is just as suicidal because of how long it'd take me. And that's excluding the enemies which were in the area.

Near the end I managed to capture 1 fort (south-west) by going all the way around the back, and hiding near the island. After that I died because I couldn't suppress the north-western fort for jack. Wooo. Great fun.

In the current form bastion is a humongous pain in the engine, and I'd rather just suicide than play hotspot bastion with a DD again.

Beta Tester
156 posts
20,932 battles

Please remove this mode. It adds nothing interesting to the game, only restricts game play and causes frustration. I ran a poll before the new version was introduced and it was clear that it is not liked. It's liked even less now with the introduction of new maps and better performance of the forts..

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/66928-bastion-mode-anyone-else-really-not-like-it/page__mode__show

Players
386 posts
15,936 battles

I like this mode for the chance I get it now and that's not much. The accuracy of the forts are way to good. They hit everything at range the first time!

Players
4,392 posts
12,107 battles

A bit more nuanced: I appreciate the idea of Bastion. Coastal attacks and defends were part of the timeframe of wows. IMO it shouldn't play a role in this P2P mode because it's influencing the outcome too much. It was IMO awesome in the convoy mission with H'ween though.

[CHTBN]
Players
103 posts
4,936 battles

i see most ppl agree that bastion is crap ... forts and surveillance stations are OP ... but do not worry fellow warshipers, in classical WG style we will get more of it :) why? well if we get to play it more maybe we will start enjoying it ... that simple ;)

WG thinks we are in fact idiots who don't know what they want to play/purchase ... silly customers ... we want to play/purchase a T5 game, in domination game mode, we get to play a T7, standard battle game mode (or bastion ... if it is not yet available for T7 it will be at some point) ... so if we want a T5 domination game mode we have to persevere, waste 30-40 minutes of our lives playing something we dont want until his highness the MM will allow us to play what we actually wanted to play in the first place. That is the way it works now! at least 30 - 40% of the games that I play are games that I do not wish to play .... 

initially we will get a bit less bastion ... but then in a very sneaky way 1 or 2 months later, 1 or 2 patches later, claiming it was "fixed" ... it will come back in force!! hahaha ... just like standard battles  ...

WG give us a few general options ... let me play what i want to play ... 

[EIRE]
Players
181 posts
14,198 battles

The range on the Forts is way too high and their fire too precise. It's especially punishing on cruisers, which cannot stand the constant shelling and on Hotspot you get shelled in the starting locations, meaning with a slow PC you can start the game already on fire.

If we want to keep the game mode the forts need to be tuned down and the spotting range on the surveillance reduced. As it stands it's a randomized game mode with AI influence, which is totally unsuitable for competative gaming.

Players
392 posts
26,285 battles

Bastion mode on HotSpot is Broken.

Agreeing with what Victor said.

On Hotstpot, we are spotted by the forts and stations at spawn.

PPL get shot down before they get in game sometimes, either because of your loading bug or because of others having faster computers and instakilling detected cruisers at start.

Also.

Remove Bastion mode entirely please.

/Me

[WGP2W]
Players
987 posts
10,091 battles

Idea behind this is good, however, it should only stay at this stage. Sometimes, what looks good on paper, doesn't work in reality. This mode doesn't translate into the game. Why? The average age of the playerbase is like 12 - 15 years old, these kids don't understand it. They want to sail a ship and blow some things up, this attitude has brutal impact on gameplay on these maps. Most of the people avoiding capture zones completely.

The only way, this might work, is to keep all Surveillance Stations neutral at the beginning of a new round and a team, which manages to secure a cap first gains a brutal advantage, because the fort will help them spot and shoot back. But right now, it's indeed terrible idea.

Final verdict: in it's current stage, please, roll this back and use it only on Atlantic, don't ruin other maps with it.

Cheers,

~t3h'Pâr4d0x