You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ferdinand_98

Q-Ships/Armed Merchantmen

Q-Ships/Armed Merchants  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see them in-game?

2. 2. Premiums, or regular tree?

• Premiums
    • Tech Tree
    • Unlockable by tasks and campaings
    • I voted "NO"
  3. 3. If in Tech Tree, where?

14 comments in this topic

Players
46 posts
4,176 battles

Hi, guys.

Talking about Tier I ships...

They all are designated as Cruisers, the are lightly armored and armed, and they are pretty useful for learning the basics. That's pretty good. BUT, and this is just personal opinion, They have been always forgotten. These are the kind of ship that you get to battle just once, then you move to Tier II, and that's more serious stuff. Tier I has that frenetic, fast and bloody meta that makes a lot of people to use them, even if they have already reached Tier X. It's like a blow of fresh air inside the machine room of a BB. But all the ships there are the same. There's no variety at all.

So, I'm here to suggest adding those so-called Q-Ships and/or Armed Merchantmen. These will be modeled in a similar fashion to the Liberty Ship that we see in the Crates menu, or like a more conventional Merchant. They will have little-to-no armor, maybe 1" at the best, small guns, like 3" and 4", and a speed around 18-20 kts. They will be big targets, yes. The gun arrangement will be weird, yes. But I find them an interesting addition to the game.

They will be located at Tier I, or even Tier II the best of them.

The RN, the KM and the USN used them. They were sometimes called "Auxiliary Cruisers", so they should be designated as Cruisers in-game.

That's all, any feedback will be much appreciated!

#EDIT#

Added poll

[TACHA]
Players
1,793 posts
21,658 battles

Wasn't the point about Q ships was that they were a surprise - in an environment with nothing but warships, they would not be very surprising and would be very easy to hit. Maybe as part of the possible convoy system though? Q ships differed from Auxillary Cruisers in that the latter did not have the guns and torpedo tubes hidden.

Players
46 posts
4,176 battles

Wasn't the point about Q ships was that they were a surprise - in an environment with nothing but warships, they would not be very surprising and would be very easy to hit. Maybe as part of the possible convoy system though? Q ships differed from Auxillary Cruisers in that the latter did not have the guns and torpedo tubes hidden.

So, if these ships are added, they should be added as Armed Merchants/Auxliary Cruisers.

I like the idea of putting them into the Convoy system. They could be part of the convoy, or even the convoy itself.

Players
1,059 posts
7,793 battles

Q-ships could be implemented in PvE setting, where player-controlled submarines raid NPC trading ships. I voted no, since they don't really have place in any current mode. In current WoWS, the scenario where they are feasible does not exist.

Alpha Tester
19,378 posts
6,105 battles

Can't vote, I voted NO and then I'm forced to pick how to add them :hiding:

They would be severely UP, they can be in the game but only in mission/pve/dynamic campaigns 

• Cool 1

Players
1,059 posts
7,793 battles

Can't vote, I voted NO and then I'm forced to pick how to add them :hiding:

They would be severely UP, they can be in the game but only in mission/pve/dynamic campaigns 

Just pick the least evil as your option on how to add them.

Beta Tester
722 posts
16,744 battles

As AI in modes these would be very cool.

As playable ships? Er doubt it

Yeah would be quite nice to see additions like these to PVE content. There's tons more like that. Low priority ofc but given the fact WG have been going through a lot of effort with all them Easter Eggs ships etc. it's not beyond the realms of possibilities :)

Players
1,064 posts
4,944 battles

Those ships would be very, very slow and clumsy. On the other hand, they should have massive hp pools and be immune to AP. Maybe some converted WW I liners could be viable as cruisers in T I - II

Players
46 posts
4,176 battles

Those ships would be very, very slow and clumsy. On the other hand, they should have massive hp pools and be immune to AP. Maybe some converted WW I liners could be viable as cruisers in T I - II

Not that slow, I read somewhere (can't remember) that some merchants were able to reach 20 knots, South Crapolina reaches that. They wouls be clumsy, yeah. And the HP polls would matter at all, because everyone would focus on them, and, to reflect the smaller crew, the Repair Party consumable would reload in more time than in a cruiser, so fires would be a problem. They won't be immortal, but they won't be cannon fodder. They will be decently armed, with guns better than the ones of their peers.