Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Bevington

Have torps been nerfed?

11 comments in this topic

Players
3 posts

A couple of times today I have been ready to wheel away from a BB in my Mahan, being fairly confident it was finished after receiving a second volley of torps. On both occasions, the BB just kept coming with about 20% of its health left. I dropped 5 torps on the last one and at that rate it would have survived even if I had hit with 6. Surely 5 torps should do the job? Max damage of 11.6k but I think I only got about 37k out of all 5. Like I said, not the first time I was amazed to see the BB still upright?  Are the BBs stronger (I cant remember what they were, generally VIIs to IXs in MM though (neither of these were a IX), or are my torps weaker?

Beta Tester
1,739 posts
1,782 battles

Anti-Torp bulge. You never do max. Damage with torps. Especially not with 11k alpha ones.

Players
3 posts

I checked in Detailed Damage Report. I hit 2 broadside on a long range shoot. Its was a full broadside next time from close range, around 4km (a banzai moment, I was cornered anyway and charged out of the smoke), I knew he had taken a lot and it turned out to be 3 more.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,556 posts
1,924 battles

I checked in Detailed Damage Report. I hit 2 broadside on a long range shoot. Its was a full broadside next time from close range, around 4km (a banzai moment, I was cornered anyway and charged out of the smoke), I knew he had taken a lot and it turned out to be 3 more.

You never ever do full damage with torpedoes, only on certain lightly armored cruisers and destroyers, and that is only if damage saturation has not taken affect.

Go look at the BB stats in port and check the tab "survivability" you will see something called torpedo damage reduction. Also, if you use the armor viewer you can see on ships where the torpedo bulges are, they are mainly in areas around the Citadel to protect it.

Players
2,735 posts
10,310 battles

Depends where your torps hit said BB.
They will do most damage when hitting bow / stern, while middle section of ship is protected by torpedo bulge that reduces damage from torpedoes by quite a large amount (almost 50% in case of Amagi).

So if you hit Amagi with a Mahan torp in his mid section, you will deal 6k damage per torp.

Players
4,392 posts
12,107 battles

That was me in my BB: I am still tweaking my "jump over the torpedo tactic." My landing is still not completely perfect...

Players
3 posts

Thanks for the responses. Think it might be a combination of all those things (perhaps not the bunny-hopping BB tho?). You live and learn eh. I was miffed that 5 torps didn't sink a BB. I expect some expletives escaped the lips of the captain above when the target sails on after 10 hits!

Players
2,735 posts
10,310 battles

Just don't be shy to ask questions on forum about pretty much anything that you want to know. There is a lot of experienced players that will gladly help you, but, just a heads up, ignore trolls and... well... idiots that will just post anything to ruin your day :D

Sign in to follow this