Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MeTaLMooSe

Should I focus on a main?

22 comments in this topic

Players
688 posts
5,902 battles

Hey guys. 

I'm kind of loosing focus and my noob stats are levelling off. 

As I have  <1k battles I've tried to embrace all types and nations to get a broad idea of gameplay and tactics. 

Trouble is now I'm flitting between grinds and premiums and have stopped improving. 

Do you recommend maintaining a specific ship line/type of grind or just get my crapin a sock and refocus?

Tempted to hang around tier 6/7 as tier 8 is throwing me into a far campier meta than I like or can deal with for the team.

I think my initial goal of the mighty tier 10 battleships is less enticing now so I've lost that drive. 

Players
4,392 posts
12,107 battles

As far as my retard insights of numbers is going your stats aren't that bad. What I did notice is you don't have much battles per ship. My advice: stop the grind for a while and play more battles with each boat untill you have the feeling you know it's ins and outs. Or: keep pushing until you have T10's and stick with them. It will take a lot of time to get those optimal that way but it is a possibility. IMO that way you won't get the most out of this game though. Nearly all the ships have their specific charms...

[H_FAN]
Players
3,202 posts
62,323 battles

If you have less than 1000 games you maybe should try to enhance your captains.

But are you a collector that plays all tiers and ship types/trees?

Play the game for fun. Focus on certain ships will improve your stats, if that is what is important. Early in the game I played much IJN much in lower tiers then I focused on grinding most lines except CVs, then I focused on training captains for most ships , because I keep my ships therefor I realized that I needed to train them up more, then lately my grinding has become slower, not so found of the meta in T8-10 but as there are ships that I want I have continuedthe grinding in a relaxed pace.

But I have focused more on destroyers lately, improving my game there.

But realize also whatever your stats are, the distribution of skills in terms of winrate in this kind of game. Do you improve better than the average player in the Active playerbase, only 2-3 % has a better than 60% solowinrate. Concentration in a shiptype is mandatory if you will reach higher I Think if you are not belonging to unicum type. The stats will vary a lot between different dips/types, focus on those that you like and seems to to best in.

It is a question what is your goal with the game. I have 100 + ships as I am interested in warships, I enjoy the early WW1 ships in tier 2-3 (4) , many players dislike them and sees the game otherwise.

• Cool 1

Players
1,373 posts

Two sides to that coin, obviously. On the one hand you profit from knowing most of the ships you come up against first hand and have an easier time when it comes to out-guessing your opponent, but on the other there is always a bit of adjusting to the guns on the next ship, so you may need some battles with any given one to reach your maximum aiming accuracy. 

Then there's events, missions and campaigns. It's pretty obvious that WG wants us to grind all classes from how those are designed. If you don't want to miss out on rewards, that your question narrowed down already. You'll need at least one line of any given class at tier 8 minimum. But not all the lines, so I'd recommend to grind them all up to tier 6, so you get a good idea what they're like and about, then focus on one BB, C(A/L) and DD line for the time being. If tier 8 is where the bug stops - and there are good arguments for that, not only the increasingly campy playstyle, but also from an economy perspective - then my picks would be US DDs, Russian cruisers and probably German BBs, if only I could stand the thought of sailing around in a friggin Nazi ship. I can't and neither can I make up my mind between IJN and US here. In randoms I'd prefer the Amagi, if you intend to play ranked though you're probably better off with the NC. You don't have to commit to the bow-in and bow-in only style, she's as close as US gets to battlecruisers. 

[BBMM]
Alpha Tester
411 posts
10,523 battles

I do a lot of ship hopping myself. Of course the longer you stay in the same ship, the more experienced you get at it. But on the tactical side switching a lot between ships and especially classes gives you insight into the tactical options of your opponents and should improve your situational awareness a great deal.

I think the important part is not even to pick a main, but to play on a regular basis. Compared to WoT I find WoWS to be a more complex game, it's less twitchy and more about planning ahead and making the correct decisions. I find my own instincts and skills to deteriorate significantly faster when I take a WoWS break, than in WoT. I guess this is partly because of the higher complexity.

My advice. Play what you enjoy, but try to play on a regular basis.

Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles

Hey guys. 

I'm kind of loosing focus and my noob stats are levelling off. 

As I have  <1k battles I've tried to embrace all types and nations to get a broad idea of gameplay and tactics. 

Trouble is now I'm flitting between grinds and premiums and have stopped improving. 

Do you recommend maintaining a specific ship line/type of grind or just get my crapin a sock and refocus?

Tempted to hang around tier 6/7 as tier 8 is throwing me into a far campier meta than I like or can deal with for the team.

I think my initial goal of the mighty tier 10 battleships is less enticing now so I've lost that drive. 

Pick a ship line and stick to it. The hang around a certain tier crap is just that....crap.

the best way to learn the weakspots of a ship is to use it and get wrecked in it.

learn what ships you can be super-aggressive in and what ships you can be passive-aggressive......no such thing as a "sniper" ship in this game. 

Remember one thing......if you are behind your smaller teammates you are probably wrong.

Thats my style at least....and yes many times I end up dead doing no dmg but as you can see by my win rate it works more often than not.

Edited by waxx25
  • Cool 3

[SPUDS]
Players
625 posts
14,644 battles

I did not had the problem with the same approach. Maybe you should give yourself some goals like "I want to be most of the time in the Top 4 of the score". Or play only the line that you like the most for a while. Other then that, I dont know.

[SMAG]
Players
61 posts
13,542 battles

Pick a ship line and stick to it. The hang around a certain tier crap is just that....crap.

the best way to learn the weakspots of a ship is to use it and get wrecked in it.

learn what ships you can be super-aggressive in and what ships you can be passive-aggressive......no such thing as a "sniper" ship in this game.

Remember one thing......if you are behind your smaller teammates you are probably wrong.

Thats my style at least....and yes many times I end up dead doing no dmg but as you can see by my win rate it works more often than not.

Amen.

Learn how to control the battle. If u set the pace, it doenst matter if u sometimes die early.....

Players
374 posts
3,671 battles

If you just jump between ships/line, you cannot really learn to play it at full capabilities. You need at least 30-40 games/ship to really know if it is for you or not. 

[SMAG]
Players
61 posts
13,542 battles

play line that want to t10 after get other , easy

Nope. Exactly what most People do wrong.

Play a line to 10 ? Yes, but at least to T8.

If u like a ship. Keep it....but dont stick to a Tier. U wont learn different Encounters if u only stick in a certain tierrange.

Most of the skilled Players just have more knowledge cause they dont stick to one ship/Tier.....

[KUMA]
Beta Tester
289 posts
11,928 battles

Honestly I'd recommend the complete opposite - play every class/nation at least a little bit (yes, even CV :p). There's no better way to learn how to counter a class than to play it yourself. 

Players
1,139 posts

One thing I do, when ever the PTS is up and running, I jump in and have a play with the ships that are two or three tiers higher up than I am currently playing. That gives me an insight into how the line progresses. It also gives me an opportunity to see what other lines are like. Its all well and good asking forum members what a particular line/ship is like, but you have to try it yourself, that is the only way of knowing if it suits you.

I have never played a CV, and have no intention of doing so either. It just doesn't appeal to me. I have tried DD's a few times a while ago, and decided they weren't for me. So I stick to cruisers and battleships. I am yet to find the cruiser that suits me, I like them, but I am not very good in them. I have just unlocked the Nagato. Its a goal I set myself a long time ago. Took me a while as I got side tracked far too often, Plus it took me a long time to like the Fuso.

Last thing. Just because there are ten tiers, doesn't mean you have to get to tier 10. I am yet to unlock and play any tier 8. So my next goal will either be the Mogami (I have the myoko), or the North Carolina. But that would mean buying back the New Mexico and giving it a second chance.

Players
158 posts
2,771 battles

One thing I do, when ever the PTS is up and running, I jump in and have a play with the ships that are two or three tiers higher up than I am currently playing. That gives me an insight into how the line progresses. It also gives me an opportunity to see what other lines are like. Its all well and good asking forum members what a particular line/ship is like, but you have to try it yourself, that is the only way of knowing if it suits you.

I have never played a CV, and have no intention of doing so either. It just doesn't appeal to me. I have tried DD's a few times a while ago, and decided they weren't for me. So I stick to cruisers and battleships. I am yet to find the cruiser that suits me, I like them, but I am not very good in them. I have just unlocked the Nagato. Its a goal I set myself a long time ago. Took me a while as I got side tracked far too often, Plus it took me a long time to like the Fuso.

Last thing. Just because there are ten tiers, doesn't mean you have to get to tier 10. I am yet to unlock and play any tier 8. So my next goal will either be the Mogami (I have the myoko), or the North Carolina. But that would mean buying back the New Mexico and giving it a second chance.

New Mexico or do you mean Colorado?  I haven't played the Colorado since I got past it, this was prior to the buffs it received but apparantly the accuracy was increased a nice amount.  I'd never go back though, still have nightmares. :ohmy:

But the NC, Iowa and Montana are worth the grind.

Players
1,139 posts

New Mexico or do you mean Colorado?  I haven't played the Colorado since I got past it, this was prior to the buffs it received but apparantly the accuracy was increased a nice amount.

​New Mexico, as I haven't got past that yet. I gave up on it. I will buy it back again and grind my way towards the NC. But I am enjoying my Nagato too much at the moment.

Players
158 posts
2,771 battles

​New Mexico, as I haven't got past that yet. I gave up on it. I will buy it back again and grind my way towards the NC. But I am enjoying my Nagato too much at the moment.

I'm suprised you didn't like the New Mexico, she was a pleasure to sail in.  Great armour and great guns.

The slow speed was the only downside.

[HOME]
[HOME]
Weekend Tester
969 posts
10,271 battles

Personally I have moved down every branch of all tech trees to get an idea of each ship and if I like it. Also really helps me to know what each class can and cannot do.

Players
325 posts
8,794 battles

Well i looked at your stats and found out the following:

- You play decend and have a good Average EXP but you play just a few times with specific ships and then chose to use free EXP to unlock the next ship. What is not bad but your captain is suffering from that.

- Looks like you love the germans and thats good in a way because you will not lose out of anything except the information against other nations.

- Biggest issue that i already mentioned is the free exp. It's good to use them when you are sick of a ship but use them to advance trough the Tec Tree what is not really recommended since i would normaly use it if i dont want to sail a stock ship or if the next ship is on sale and i need just a few exp to get it unlocked.

My advice:

- IF i would be you i would start from scratch and trie to play some mid tier matches (tier 5-7) and level up your captains.

- Use your Premium ships for retraining and building up better captains for your favorite nation (for example: use your scharnhorst to level up the captain of your bissmarck)

- Try the USA (simple easy and still a lot of fun)

Well i can not give you mroe advice at the moment but just forget about T10 and trie to just have fun with friends.

[BUSHI]
Players
132 posts
9,489 battles

So much useless advice, his only issue is L2P

Unfortunately only the Top 1% will become unicums on their own, most people never learn and are doing random things. Yamatos with survivability expert going to D on Northern Lights are real gems

Just jump into any tier10 game and look up the stats of players after the battle, you will see very scary things.

He doesn't need any fancy captains for his german bbs, he only needs expert marksman which is a 2point skill, everything beyond that is a difference of max 2-3% winrate.

You win games by positioning, being useful for you team, not suiciding and accurate shooting.

Luckily for you there are people who figured out the game and are streaming.

Instead of playing 2 games just watch past broadcasts of guys like Izolate, crysantos, flamu for 30minutes (avoid youtube- too many cherrypicked games). You can save a lot of time by skipping through loading screens and stuff that doesn't interest you.

Otherwise you will be a potato forever.

[BONI]
Players
1,586 posts
19,906 battles

Familiarity is a powerful thing. I'd say the big loss when you change shiptypes, even after the expenses and retraining, is you throw out whatever you imprinted regarding gunnery. Each gun has its firing trajectory and even shell speed can differ from ship to ship. It's that subconscious familarity with the guns that helps you lead just the right amount, especially at long range. You also learn what you can and cannot penetrate with your guns, which also depends on trajectory and shell speed. Not to mention, the more you move around, even within a line, the more EXP is spent on retraining (unless you use doubloons). So if you wanna be the very best, stick with one or two ships that you know like the back of your hand, plus perhaps a CV.

Edited by MoveZig

Sign in to follow this