You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
waxx25

A new (old) favorite, the Kiev

31 comments in this topic

Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles

Any of you guys sell a ship before finishing the grind? 

Any of you ever buy it back and wonder why the flying fack you sold in the first place?

That was me with the Kiev. Despite its low hp pool this little tier 7, lets be honest its a light cruiser, montser is a DPM machine the likes of which I have never experienced. The very first game I played in it since buying it back I scored 175k dmg with an epic carry at the end of the match, here is the replay if you are interested https://wowreplays.com/Replay/24962

For tier a tier 7, breaking the 100k dmg mark is surprisingly easy. I raised my average dmg from 35k, idk I was super bad in it 5 months ago, to almost 62k with no sign of slowing down. this is a solo-randoms carry machine the likes of which I have not seen yet. 

here is a small slice of my solo gameplay (excuse the emerald in there, I am slowly grinding the brits). In every single on of those games I am top player by exp.

tJlYKY7.jpg

Edited by waxx25
  • Cool 1

Players
1,373 posts

I had a really hard time adapting to her and what was required to make her work. She's the breaking point in the line, you have to embrace the Russian gunboat style or you get near to nothing in her. In the Gnewny and Ognewoi you can get away with a much more generic DD approach still. Not with brilliant results, but you can just make it work well enough. Then comes the Kiev and when somebody who just bought her sails off into the next cap with that attitude, he's in for a mightily nasty shock. 

Anyway, my experience is also, that she absolutely requires a relatively high points captain to get anything at all out of her after the nerf. Many players, especially f2p, are into the habit of starting a new captain with a new ship. Not going to work with the Kiev, horrific grind ahead until you get at least to AFT. Then she gets just about bearable. Another 4 points later she gets good, when DE allows for all those hits to actually do serious damage, and another 4 gets you SE and you have a monster, I'm told. As an OMNI player you'll recognize the build. And I'd bet my sweet bottoms you got a very decent captain on her. Then, yes, she's a joy. 

Frankly, I'd given up on her until I picked up the Leningrad. 

• Cool 1

[P4ID]
Beta Tester
1,975 posts
13,875 battles

Please take a screenshot as well after you unlocked the Tashkent. Preferebly with a half-dead captain.

• Cool 2

Players
8,241 posts

If I owned a Prem RU DD I'd be tempted to try Kiev again. 

At the moment my only good RU DD captain is in my Trashkan and I enjoy the superior HP&torps

[KLUNJ]
Players
2,866 posts

Any of you guys sell a ship before finishing the grind? 

Any of you ever buy it back and wonder why the flying fack you sold in the first place?

That was me with the Kiev. Despite its low hp pool this little tier 7, lets be honest its a light cruiser, montser is a DPM machine the likes of which I have never experienced. The very first game I played in it since buying it back I scored 175k dmg with an epic carry at the end of the match, here is the replay if you are interested https://wowreplays.com/Replay/24962

For tier a tier 7, breaking the 100k dmg mark is surprisingly easy. I raised my average dmg from 35k, idk I was super bad in it 5 months ago, to almost 62k with no sign of slowing down. this is a solo-randoms carry machine the likes of which I have not seen yet. 

here is a small slice of my solo gameplay (excuse the emerald in there, I am slowly grinding the brits). In every single on of those games I am top player by exp.

A good watch....well played Waxx
  • Cool 1

Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles

I had a really hard time adapting to her and what was required to make her work. She's the breaking point in the line, you have to embrace the Russian gunboat style or you get near to nothing in her. In the Gnewny and Ognewoi you can get away with a much more generic DD approach still. Not with brilliant results, but you can just make it work well enough. Then comes the Kiev and when somebody who just bought her sails off into the next cap with that attitude, he's in for a mightily nasty shock. 

Anyway, my experience is also, that she absolutely requires a relatively high points captain to get anything at all out of her after the nerf. Many players, especially f2p, are into the habit of starting a new captain with a new ship. Not going to work with the Kiev, horrific grind ahead until you get at least to AFT. Then she gets just about bearable. Another 4 points later she gets good, when DE allows for all those hits to actually do serious damage, and another 4 gets you SE and you have a monster, I'm told. As an OMNI player you'll recognize the build. And I'd bet my sweet bottoms you got a very decent captain on her. Then, yes, she's a joy. 

Frankly, I'd given up on her until I picked up the Leningrad. 

I had AFT on the captain, on the last game I unlocked the 2nd 4 point skill and chose the health boost.......I have started to not like demolition expert.

Please take a screenshot as well after you unlocked the Tashkent. Preferebly with a half-dead captain.

Yea, about that lol......not looking forward to it as all my friends have only said bad things :(

A good watch....well played Waxx

Thx mate, was by far one of my most enjoyable matches.

Players
1,373 posts

I had AFT on the captain, on the last game I unlocked the 2nd 4 point skill and chose the health boost.......I have started to not like demolition expert.

Interesting. What's the plan? Vigilance and SI?

[SMAG]
Players
61 posts
13,548 battles

Sup Waxx,

well it appears i got a new Rival in the Kiev? :)

We are pretty much on par i guess though i play just a tiny bit different.

However i did choose to go 1. AFT 2nd DM and third SI (though not yet @18 pts).....cause mathmatically DM makes most sence on fast firing spammy guns.

But i do also agree that SI over DM has its strengths, especially if u Play Stalinuim heavy.

Its just such a BEAST. Solo or Div? Kiev doesnt care!!!

Edited by adpre

[SMAG]
Players
61 posts
13,548 battles

Can you expand on not liking DE anymore?

Dunno what waxx is gonna say, but 1st , u will start ur fires anyway  with kiev, even without DM.

But 2nd those 7x400= 2800 HP more u get by using SI makes the Kiev just more compfortable, cause the only Thing really stopping u from melting any enemy is by losing HP. You need to Focus on kiting/dodging ANY enemy Shells.

With DM u Play the vulnerable but more allround Kiev , while u can practically Play it AP only with occasional HE if u decide going SI first (more safe).

Edited by adpre

Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles

Dunno what waxx is gonna say, but 1st , u will start ur fires anyway  with kiev, even without DM.

But 2nd those 7x400= 2800 HP more u get by using SI makes the Kiev just more compfortable, cause the only Thing really stopping u from melting any enemy is by losing HP. You need to Focus on kiting/dodging ANY enemy Shells.

With DM u Play the vulnerable but more allround Kiev , while u can practically Play it AP only with occasional HE if u decide going SI first (more safe).

Honestly, I could not have said it better myself. Also, concealment expert is worthless on kiev, at least in my opinion. I expect to be spotted the entire time I am firing.

those 4 points can go to better things like ship survivability, expert marksman and either incoming-fire alert or fire prevention.

Edit: my planned build will be

1 secondary armament and ship survivabiity

2 last stand and incoming fire alert

3 superintendent

4 advanced firing training and ship survivability

Edited by waxx25

Players
1,373 posts

Honestly, I could not have said it better myself. Also, concealment expert is worthless on kiev, at least in my opinion. I expect to be spotted the entire time I am firing.

those 4 points can go to better things like ship survivability, expert marksman and either incoming-fire alert or fire prevention.

3 superintendent

Interesting again. Given how high speed effectively reduces reaction time to torps, I'd really have put my money on vigilance somewhere in there. 

[SFIRE]
Players
35 posts
4,455 battles

Personally, I prefer DE over SE on the Kiev. I find that staying at max range and changing course constantly is already very good damage mitigation. On top of that, fire chance can be quite unreliable, especially against higher tier ships. So I prefer to improve my chances where I can; in this case with DE.

Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles

Interesting again. Given how high speed effectively reduces reaction time to torps, I'd really have put my money on vigilance somewhere in there. 

Ahh thats the trick of driving it. Yes blind torps are a problem.....err wait I never rush into dd fight at first so no that isnt. Otherwise I never ever ever ever ever go in a straight line towards enemy positions and since I am pretty much always firing when in match....good luck getting me with torps when I go 42 knots......must be an interesting lead when trying to torps me.
  • Cool 1

[SMAG]
Players
61 posts
13,548 battles

You watch Flamus vids, dont you?

It's no mistake taking vigilance, hell i love charging enemy DDs if i KNOW they are alone/without Support.

However try imagine another Situation.

U shouldnt Charge into very Close quarter Engagement with Kiev cause u will hit better and harder from Range against ANY DD, not mentioning that u need to Keep some Range against US DDs anyway. Not to win, u will most likely, but to not use ur full HP reserve for a single enemy DD.

So practically u demolish enemy DDs if they are spotted by something else (not u). And if u Charge an enemy DD u try make him turn, if that doesnt work, and hes charging u anyway, he will either die to ur guns or ur extraordinary good torps for Close combat. Still u always wanna Play peek in, kite away style

• Cool 1

Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles

Personally, I prefer DE over SE on the Kiev. I find that staying at max range and changing course constantly is already very good damage mitigation. On top of that, fire chance can be quite unreliable, especially against higher tier ships. So I prefer to improve my chances where I can; in this case with DE.

I would normally agree but very often you run into people who magically (cough aim-assist cough) smack you relentlessy at 14.5km no matter what dodges you attempt so having the extra 2800hp on a 12800hp ship (20% boost btw) is huge.

[SMAG]
Players
61 posts
13,548 battles

To cut it short, Vigilance on the Kiev is most viable and needed if u do smokespam mainly, which is kinda uneffective on Kiev cause u do more than just damage if u kite/dodge enemys Shooting at you. U actually TANK (without tanking :D )

p.s. also dont skip Superintendant for Vigilance, because  the Kiev is actually one of the ships u should max out engine boost.....Speed is key!

Edited by adpre

Players
1,373 posts

You watch Flamus vids, dont you?

It's no mistake taking vigilance, hell i love charging enemy DDs if i KNOW they are alone/without Support.

However try imagine another Situation.

U shouldnt Charge into very Close quarter Engagement with Kiev cause u will hit better and harder from Range against ANY DD, not mentioning that u need to Keep some Range against US DDs anyway. Not to win, u will most likely, but to not use ur full HP reserve for a single enemy DD.

So practically u demolish enemy DDs if they are spotted by something else (not u). And if u Charge an enemy DD u try make him turn, if that doesnt work, and hes charging u anyway, he will either die to ur guns or ur extraordinary good torps for Close combat. Still u always wanna Play peek in, kite away style

I do, eventually. In this case though I ate so many random torps, that I actually coughed up for reskilling from SI before Flamu did his video on the new Kiev. I had to anyway, because my vain attempt to make the Kiev viable for a more typical DD role had me pick EM and LS, which delayed AFT, so that was... also not exactly well advised :D As I said, I really needed a bit of time and trial and error to get to grips with this ship. 

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure if I'd go for SI now. With AFT the Kiev doesn't seem that reliant for damage on smoke firing and there's always something to be said for drawing fire in a DD. Plus with all the zipping around you do spot the occasional set of torps for your mates too, so... 

Quite interesting again, how she seems at first so set on a certain build - AFT and SE seems to be what everybody agrees on - but from there on a lot of variations seem valid enough. Well, I'm fine with that, it's better than slapping CE on everything and their little doggie. 

Now, if I only could get the urge to charge out of my system... seems to be rather hard-wired though. Anyway, thx for the input, mucho obligado. 

[P4ID]
Beta Tester
1,975 posts
13,875 battles

3 superintendent

1 BFT

2 last stand

3 vigilance

4 AFT + DE + ship survivability

Its a mini khabarovsk, please act like it, goddamnit!

[BONI]
Players
1,586 posts
19,906 battles

How do you deal with capping at the start of a match? Obviously you can't rush in, certainly not if there's something with radar around. Yet you can't abandon the point either, and you're far too squishy to lead an attack.

[SMAG]
Players
61 posts
13,548 battles

1 BFT

2 last stand

3 vigilance

4 AFT + DE + ship survivability

Its a mini khabarovsk, please act like it, goddamnit!

Nope. Free yourself from "go-to-there-is-no-alternative-buids"

1.BFT yes

2. last stand

3.Superintendent....Vigilance is not bad....but u dont need it

4. Either 3x4 while AFT always first. Or 2x4 with either AFT/DM or AFT/SI + a combination of lower skills.

[SMAG]
Players
61 posts
13,548 battles

How do you deal with capping at the start of a match? Obviously you can't rush in, certainly not if there's something with radar around. Yet you can't abandon the point either, and you're far too squishy to lead an attack.

Minimap Obsession...

Decided to cut it short.

1. Watch Lineup

2. Dont cap first unless u are the only DD

3. Try stick to better concealed DDs

4. Spam Cruisers away or avoid them

5. Dont cap first, but u can always cap second.

Edited by adpre

[MIRAI]
Players
591 posts
7,724 battles

Any tips you want to to share? I seem to hover around 30-40k dmg games, even if i survive till te end of the game, and i try to shoot all the time, but dmg just doesn't add up. Do you prefer focusing on certain ships, or anything? I personally prefer hunting dds if i can, even in kiev, then bbs, with only taking potshots at cruisers along the way between primary targets. i don't use torps because i tend to keep a distance with this ship, so they are for extremely rare ocasions when i f..ed up or dueling dds.

I'm running BFT,LS,VIG,DE+AFT, noSE yet. 

[XTREM]
Players
1,037 posts
10,320 battles

4. Either 3x4 while AFT always first. Or 2x4 with either AFT/DM or AFT/SI + a combination of lower skills.

This. The "3x4" build is nice but I really like EM, not only on Gnevny and Leningrad.