MrConway

Supertest is Opening the Gates

391 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
1,832 posts
2,144 battles

125px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png 125px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png 125px-Flag_of_France.svg.png 125px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png 125px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png 125px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png

post-500153698-0-93027400-1481101862.png

Captains ! Supertest Recruitment is now Open !

Do you want to help us testing various aspects of new builds? New ships? New features? Are you eager to provide us feedback about all of this? And can you maintain silence?  Then the Supertest is for you!

You may apply by filling in the special form located at wowsstsignup.hscampaigns.com after thoroughly reading and understanding the information below.

The applications open on 07 December 2016 and close on 14 December 2016, 22:59 UTC

What is a Supertester ?

Supertesters are players who voluntarily give up their own time to help test early builds of the latest patch, new ships, new maps, new modes etc. Supertesters are expected to be fully competent at filing detailed reports of bugs and issues they find within the game as well as completing surveys on new ships and maps. They must be able to give clear evidence for the issue, and offer their best judgement towards a solution to the issue.

Supertesters are not always exceptionally good players, however they are expected to be knowledgeable about game mechanics, in-game balance, and have some idea about the state and preferences of the larger game community. From this knowledge they are expected to give balanced and reasoned opinions. 

Do you meet the Criteria for being a Supertester ?

Before you apply, please ensure you meet the minimum criteria:

• You must be fluent in spoken English, and have good English written skills
  • Be aged over 18
  • Regularly play WoWS !
  • Have the ability to get on well with a variety of people of different ages, backgrounds and nationality
  • Be available to regularly attend formal ST sessions on Teamspeak. These take place at 18:30 CET (5.30pm UK time) approximately every two to three weeks, although this can vary. Note that when the test is on, there may be several session during the week!
  • Use Discord for written chat and Teamspeak 3 for verbal chat
  • Your activity on the Forum will also be considered

What to include in your application

• Why do you want to become a Supertester?
  • The current specifications of your PC/Laptop
  • Any experience you have in testing software or games
  • A short review of a ship in game (5-6 bulletspoints)
  • Please draft an example bug report using the format which you can find on the English Forum section (no prizes for originality)
  • Confirm, that you are 18+ years old
  • Find a three-word password hidden in the Rules!

The Selection Process

• In the first stage, we will check your application, forum conduct record and playing statistics (please ensure they are set to ‘public’). If you meet our requirements, you will then be invited to the second stage.
  • The second stage will be a short, informal interview on Teamspeak with one or two Supertest Co-ordinators. The primary purpose of this stage is to perform a basic communication check and introduce you to the Supertest.
  • If you pass the second stage you will be invited to join ST !

Any questions ?

Please ask any questions here.
Good Luck and thank you for your interest in the EU Supertest !!! :izmena:

post-500153698-0-99119400-1481101854.png

WG_SPB_WoWS_ST-Logo_Black.png

Supertest__WG_SPB_WoWS_Launcher_798x348.png

• Cool 18

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,397 posts

How welcome are people, who are openly critical about Wargaming, like me?

The answer to this question will decide if I'll attempt to send in an application.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, Master Pirate
641 posts
8,513 battles

As long as you can provide constructive criticism, get along fine with everyone and do not cause unnecessary havoc then we will be fine with it.

Questions and answers

Q: How will we know we have been selected or not? What timeframe can we expect an answer in? Whats the selection process?

A: If you have been selected, you can expect a response (forum PM) with a proposal for a teamspeak interview, time to be discussed. If you were not selected to pass for the second stage, chances are you will simply hear nothing of us for the next weeks.

-During the selection process the coordinators will review all valid applications based on a variety of factors to determine who to invite to the second phase

-The teamspeak interview will be to check up on your communications skills (primarily your spoken English, as all of our communications are done in English for the fastest possible reaction times, therefore your English must be at a near-fluent level)

-Shortly after you will receive a definite answer to your application, whether you are accepted or not.

Q: Can you be openly critical about WG and their content?

A: Yes, provided you can be constructive about it, and back up your personal opinions with reasoning, numbers or experience. Do keep in mind while feedback is passed along, it doesn't mean that the developers will always act in the way one suggested, or expected. In the end there are 4 ST regions (EU, RU, ASIA, NA, and you could kinda count KongZhong too but hey)

Q: Do ST have to participate in all big sessions? Whats the time input requirements?

A: There is no real set answer to this. What I can tell you is first of all that real life comes first, however if you're expecting to be away for longer periods of time, we have a thread for you to inform us about upcoming AFK periods for administrative purposes.

As for time requirements usually a session is anything from half an hour long to about 2 hours, usually we don't extend past that timeframe, and they occur in sync with the patches that come out on the server (just that we get them earlier for testing purposes and theyre usually quite predictable). Often we get micropatches, hotfixes and purely test builds on short notice (sometimes we get notice the day before).

-While theres no set "you must attend these sessions", large periods of inactivity over durations extending many weeks, and poor overall activity (few sessions overall for longer periods of time) will eventually get you a warning, and following that, removal.

Q: When can we expect a response?
A: It will likely take us some time to sift through all the applications, do the forum and game record checks before we can hand out invitations to the teamspeak interview, I wouldn't expect any invitations until mid-late December or later.

Q: Why do we need our profiles public?

A: We need to be able to see some of the statistics in your profile to check your experience with the game itself, and how widespread this experience is. What we won't check is your winrate, average damage, planes...WTR...

Q: What about those that don't want to have a public profile? Can we use the share profile by link only?

A: In that case please leave the link to your game profile in the application, either in your nickname or the why you want to be in the supertest part.

Q: I think I messed up something on the application! What do I do?

A: Please resubmit your application, correcting the relevant information. We will consider the latest/newest application when we process them.

Q: Whats this "Sekrit password" thing? What do I do?

A: Were not asking for your password, or for you to create your ST password, thats a process for another occasion. The secret password is hidden in the rules (Terms and Conditions) part of the application site, so read them carefully, all will be apparent if you do ;)

Edited by strangers123
  • Cool 1

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Community, Alpha Tester
3,372 posts
5,850 battles

To expand, we have quite a few people on board who do not hesitate to give us merry hell about things - the important thing is to make it properly. If you do not like something, explain why.

Another thing is, of course, that while we do listen closely, not all feedback is acted upon (or acted upon in a way that is satisfactory to you) - often there are more ways how to do it or even the problem may not be as serious (Oh the discussions about balance for various ships... ;))

• Cool 9

641 posts
8,513 battles

To expand, we have quite a few people on board who do not hesitate to give us merry hell about things - the important thing is to make it properly. If you do not like something, explain why.

Another thing is, of course, that while we do listen closely, not all feedback is acted upon (or acted upon in a way that is satisfactory to you) - often there are more ways how to do it or even the problem may not be as serious (Oh the discussions about balance for various ships... ;))

Just like all my complaining about CVs :(

The most important thing is that you can provide your explanation and reason behind your opinion, and not outright just provide your opinion without anything to back it up. Everyone plays the game differently, and has a different style. There are many roads that lead to Rome

Also, we are the EU supertest

Theres also ASIA, NA and RU (and KongZhong, kinda :D)

What our opinions and consensus may be, can quite easily be different from the other regions.

• Cool 1

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,397 posts

Well... so far I was able to back up my critizism with arguments (unless someone else made them before I did and I simply posted in support).

I'll consider applying. Luckily there is some time for me to think about it.

• Cool 2

[LEOND]
Beta Tester
2,061 posts
10,665 battles

Unfortunately I would not be able to take part in the TS meetings (to early for me), otherwise I would have tried to join the team.

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,397 posts

By the way... the secret password is not hidden well enough. :read_fish:

Does a ST have to be able to participate in all big testing sessions? The Sunday one could prove to be problematic.

641 posts
8,513 battles

Unfortunately I would not be able to take part in the TS meetings (to early for me), otherwise I would have tried to join the team.

The primary objective of the "session times" is that the majority of the Supertest work is done with our team members during our test sessions starting at 1830 CET (CEST during summer time periods) and this could cause problems.

We have "focus session times" for things like major patches and any gameplay testing, and to provide a form of "predictability" into the times that people will invest into the ST.

By the way... the secret password is not hidden well enough. :read_fish:

Does a ST have to be able to participate in all big testing sessions? The Sunday one could prove to be problematic.

HAXX

We dont demand 100% attendance, its not a job, its a volunteer thing. We do however need to know if people have long periods of inactivity time so we know theyre still alive, and not just vanishing without reason.

Remember: Real life first

Edited by strangers123

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,220 posts
7,027 battles

What's the pay rate?

- warm feeling that you somehow participate in the process of making the game better

- chance to propose multiple reasonable personal ideas (STers are listened to more carefully)

those are valuable things, for the rest you have MasterCard anyway

[-TWA-]
Sailing Hamster
239 posts
8,649 battles

Regular absence from the ST sessions, especially the sessions that are conducted at standard testing time and are planned in advance.

Is there a system to announce your absence during e.g holly days? Or is the absence for a period of 3-4 weeks (1x per year) alright?

641 posts
8,513 battles

Regular absence from the ST sessions, especially the sessions that are conducted at standard testing time and are planned in advance.

Is there a system to announce your absence during e.g holly days? Or is the absence for a period of 3-4 weeks (1x per year) alright?

We do have a system in place for you to announce your absence. Its not like we would kick you out for 1 inactive session or anything, but longer periods (over a month) can become problematic, but its usually fine as long as you announce your inactivity (and have proven your worth)
Edited by strangers123

[ST-EU]
Sailing Hamster, Alpha Tester
892 posts
2,204 battles

Oh, I would also suggest that people who apply keep their firstborn ready. Our lord and saviour the server hamster (blessed be his name) regularly demands sacrifices to be made.

Just saying... :hiding:

• Cool 7

[CN_]
Sailing Hamster, WoWs Wiki Team
1,621 posts
2,621 battles

server hamster

*coughs* That´s glorious
  • Cool 1

Players
587 posts
5,313 battles

Clause 6.4 in the Terms & Conditions appears to be truncated. It reads "Violation of the guidelines contained in Item 5.5.4. will be considered as major violation of the ST Rules and may result in:" and then stops there.

(yes, I did consider submitting this as a sample bug report, but figured that might not be appreciated ;-) )

[RNG]
Sailing Hamster
241 posts
4,803 battles

It appears the official Terms and Conditions are missing a paragraph.

Quoting:

6. Confidentiality

6.1. The ST client as well as any related logs, files, screenshots, and videos constitute Confidential Information of the ST.

6.2. The Supertester can only publish any Confidential Information in strict accordance with the guidelines contained in Item 5.5.4. Violation of the guidelines contained in Item 5.5.4. will be considered as major violation of the ST Rules and may result in:

There should be information listed at the end of point 6.2. which consequences rule violations bring for the player, however that section appears to be missing as the quoted subsection in the text is directly followed by the next, being 7. Bonuses.

An update on the linked page to include the missing information would be extraordinarily enlightening.

EDIT: It appears that while I was writing this report another user found and reported the same issue, however I only saw that after I already submitted my own report. Apologies for the double post.

Edited by SpandexOverlord
  • Cool 1

641 posts
8,513 battles

Its been fixed now,

This is what it should (and now) looks like

6. Confidentiality

6.1. The ST client as well as any related logs, files, screenshots, and videos constitute Confidential Information of the ST.

6.2. The Supertester can only publish any Confidential Information in strict accordance with the guidelines contained in Item 5.5.4. Violation of the guidelines contained in Item 5.5.4. will be considered as major violation of the ST Rules and may result in:

• Decrease of the user position in the Supertester rating
  • Exclusion of the user from the ST
  • Suspension of the user's account in World of Warships

Thanks for pointing it out!

• Cool 2

Sailing Hamster
388 posts
4,185 battles

Hi , i wanted to ask something , as i have been waiting a LOT for this opportunity , and also quite important for me , so i need to get some clarification .  Main thing is "Be aged over 18" . okey , so here the problem . I aint 18 , whats worst , i am 17 until the 17 of December . This is a pretty unique and important opportunity , so i might ask . Can i apply for ST being aged 17 and getting to be 18 ( as requested ) 3 days after ST applies end? Thanks for the repplies

641 posts
8,513 battles

Hi , i wanted to ask something , as i have been waiting a LOT for this opportunity , and also quite important for me , so i need to get some clarification .  Main thing is "Be aged over 18" . okey , so here the problem . I aint 18 , whats worst , i am 17 until the 17 of December . This is a pretty unique and important opportunity , so i might ask . Can i apply for ST being aged 17 and getting to be 18 ( as requested ) 3 days after ST applies end? Thanks for the repplies

Thank you for your honesty

Absolutely no guarantee, but I would say yes, provided you fulfill the other requirements (I.E get along with other people well, and can perform the ST related tasks required)

Also, due to administrative time requirements you'll be over 18 by the time we actually get around to inviting people ;)

Edited by strangers123

Sailing Hamster
388 posts
4,185 battles

Thank you for your honesty

Absolutely no guarantee, but I would say yes, provided you fulfill the other requirements (I.E get along with other people well, and can perform the ST related tasks required)

Also, due to administrative time requirements you'll be over 18 by the time we actually get around to inviting people ;)

Okey , thanks for the quick reply ! And honesty is something i learnt is rlly important in life , u never win anything lying to ppl around  . Will fill up the application now , and prey for a bit of luck , thanks :p
  • Cool 2

[OILUP]
Beta Tester
1,409 posts
8,108 battles
[edited]
Edited by BigBadVuk
This post has been moderated by Wg staff member due to inappropriate content
  • Cool 6