G01ngToxicCommand0

Leander - a definate keeper!

38 posts in this topic

Just finished the Leander today in what have been one of the most pleasant grinds in a ship as this ship is very capable when playing its strenghts even so that it is one of the, if not the, strongest tier VI cruisers in WoWS.

The british CL from tier II to tier V is utter crap and needs HE to compensate for their lack of firepower and situational AP but when you reach tier VI and the Leander things changes dramatically; the Leander might 'only' have 8 guns but they hit as hard as naildrivers and do consistent and effective damage at all ranges against all classes of ships, the only two drawbacks are the lack of the ability to start fires and low to no damage at steeply angled ships if the superstructure is not hit however this is not as bad as it sounds as you can easily disengage and slip away in order to reposition in order to get a better angle or find another more promising target due to a high camo rating far surpassing all other cruisers it will meet especially if using CE on the captain.

Enemy DDs are almost without chance of survival when you run into them because they spot you later than other cruisers and when using your Hydro Acoustic Sonar hunting DDs at or near objectives is almost guaranteed to either sink or drive away that DD so you or your team can capture the objective making this ship very strong at capturing or defending objectives/bases which is what this ship excells at.

Pros:

Very strong artillery with a very high citadel and damage potential when employing it correctly and when in a running battle against DDs or cruisers you deal more consistent damage than they will giving the Leander a higher probability of coming out on top. :izmena:

Powerful torpedos with good fire arcs especially when using single torp launch as that gives the possibility to maximize damage on multiple targets requiring only 1 or 2 torps to sink

Excellent camo rating provides the enemy DDs less reaction and in the mid to late game when the enemy DDs have all been sunk the Leander excells as a scout for the team.

Smoke obviously why this consumable makes the ship strong however requires team members or HAS for spotting targets so also situational.

Hydro Acoustic Sonar has a better synergy effect than on other similar ships due to far superior artillery compared to other CAs/CL doing the same task

Repair Party makes this ship more or less immune to being damaged on a magnitude that renders the ship combat ineffective by DDs and CLs as most damage they can inflict with their guns can for the most part be repaired meaning that when the duel is over the ship can repair most of the damage it had recieved.

Insane forward acceleration helps quite a lot in dodging everything from torps to shells and makes it easier to get out of trouble in close terrain.

Good turning circle and rudders shift time - speaks for itself.

Cons:

Eats citadels like a pro when exposing the broadside to the wrong kind of ships and is extremely unforgiving of player mistakes.

Very poor reverse acceleration makes it harder to use smoke as you can't just hit the brakes then pop smoke without outrunning the single puff smokescloud and you really have to wait till speed is at 14 kts or less before the ship's speed is sufficiently lowered for the smoke to be able to cover the ship. Also if in close terrain it makes it very difficult to avoid incoming torps if the only way to dodge them is to put the ship in reverse and odds are you are not going to make it to safety if relying on reverse to get you out of trouble so plan ahead and make sure that the Leander can get out of trouble or dodge torps by forward motion only.:ohmy:

Lowish maximum speed can be a hindrance in chasing DDs and other fast enemies but if using the Sierra Mike signal for +5% maximum speed that does alleviate this deficiancy.

In short: if you can learn to play its strengths and play the objective this is a very strong ship more than capable of performing that purpose as well as acting as a team scout if no DDs are in the game, which happens from time to time, due to its good camo rating however it is not for the inexperienced or hesitant players as this ship requires the player to be bold and able to read the tactical situation and react appropiately and effeciently as possible to developing situations and changing enviroments in order maximize and exploit its very high damage potential while also staying alive. If the player is hesitant, too passive or incapable of understanding the tactical situation and what the correct repsonse to it is the ship will simply be a liability for the team which would better have been replaced by any other CL of the same tier which can use HE with greater range.

Verdict: Research and acquire this ship for it is a very pleassurable ship to play when the player have mastered the Royal Navy CL way to do business:honoring:

Looking forward to buying the Fiji :tea_cap:

Edited by atomskytten

5 people like this

I would give a 10/10 one the Leander. A really fun cruiser to play and a definitely keeper :D

1 person likes this

I'm liking the ship too but from what I hear it is just a worse Fiji so I might keep the Fiji instead. Not to mention T7 has better MM than T6.

Thats true. But Perth, the upcoming premium is the same as Leander. Might be worth the coin :)

Agreed with @Bladezfist, Leander is good but Fiji is great. I loved the Leander specially compared to the kind of crap you have to endure in previous tiers. Fiji might be a keeper for me but I'm not sure yet. I might sell it as I progress to higher tiers but I may very well rebuy the Fiji later when some day the Brits get a sale.

The only advantage Leander has over Fiji in my opinion is the stealth, but with CE even Fiji has good enough detectability. Leander might be slightly stronger against cruisers of its own tier as well.

The change from Leander to Fiji is about as big as the change from Emerald to Leander is. 

I'm inclined to agree with what has been said. The Leander is a great ship to play and I did have fun playing it but the Fiji is a whole other world of awesomeness. The only thing I really miss from the Leander on the Fiji is the reduction in tubes from quads to triples.

1 person likes this

I've chucked my Campbeltown captain in mine :) Leander, Fiji and Edinburgh are all worth keeping. (I'd still kill for a bit of HE *Perth cough*)

ywLcb2f.jpg

Leander has become my favourite ship. She's very strong when you get the hang of her. She's also one of the most beautiful ships in the game, in my humble opinion.

3 people like this

I like the Fiji, will definitely keep her, but then I have no intention of going higher up the Tree.

I rate the Fiji as better then the Belfast :)

3 people like this

I came across a Leander in my Aoba earlier, we both sat bow on to each other, all his AP just harmlessly pinged off me while my AP was doing 3-4k damage per volley on him, if he had tried to turn and run I just would have citadelled him to death so there was nothing he could do. I also knocked out one of his frontal turrets so he couldn't even attempt to return fire!

I came across a Leander in my Aoba earlier, we both sat bow on to each other, all his AP just harmlessly pinged off me while my AP was doing 3-4k damage per volley on him, if he had tried to turn and run I just would have citadelled him to death so there was nothing he could do. I also knocked out one of his frontal turrets so he couldn't even attempt to return fire!

well,a light cruiser like leander wasnt supposed to crush Heavy cruisers like Aoba

Leander and Fiji need to angle to bounce 8" AP,  they can bounce BB shells off the belt too. Although I recommend just charging down BBs in Leander as it has no citadel in the front, I don't think there's a better cruiser for the job :great:

Edinburgh will auto bounce 8" AP off the bow/stern.

1 person likes this

Not sure what Leanders you have, but i fail to see how 13.2km range cruiser can do a squat. Charge BBs....you say no citadels? 95% of time charginf BB ends in 15-20k dmg, you cant wiggle around and chase cruiser as you lose speed and while you stop shooting at 13.2km range, most cruisers still keep shooting you till 15-16km.

Sure you see some 2-3k numbers on BB broadside, but taking all flaws together its a very situational ship where in most cases you get laughted on...even shell speed of 800m/s is a joke, to lead a DD at 12km you have to move aim out of the screen so you really dont see a DD anymore, even faster BBs can avoid pretty easy.

Maby its just me, but i really hate it as it has no advantages...IF only you get close to BB and torp or other unaware CAs show you full side.

1 person likes this

I like it. More then I thought I would actually. Did skip tier 1 to 5 though (cuz I really couldn't be bothered) so it's the first RN cruiser I've played but so far it's a pleasant grind. Not in a hurry on her, maybe play 5 - 10 matches a week. Playing like a large dd fits her really well and the MM isn't as brutal as in my tier 5 koningsberg.

Not sure what Leanders you have, but i fail to see how 13.2km range cruiser can do a squat. Charge BBs....you say no citadels? 95% of time charginf BB ends in 15-20k dmg, you cant wiggle around and chase cruiser as you lose speed and while you stop shooting at 13.2km range, most cruisers still keep shooting you till 15-16km.

Sure you see some 2-3k numbers on BB broadside, but taking all flaws together its a very situational ship where in most cases you get laughted on...even shell speed of 800m/s is a joke, to lead a DD at 12km you have to move aim out of the screen so you really dont see a DD anymore, even faster BBs can avoid pretty easy.

Maby its just me, but i really hate it as it has no advantages...IF only you get close to BB and torp or other unaware CAs show you full side.

The ship basically loses no speed in turns, that's one of the "national perks" of the RN line, you can wiggle forever basically without penalty. Also with CE on the captain the concealment is just under 10km. If you're shooting at max range... Just stop. Fade away, go somewhere else. Wait for your target to forget about you, close on his broadside (or somebody else's) and punish them. Nothing should be shooting you from 15km unless you let them, you can just choose to not be seen.

3k on BB broadside doesn't sound like a lot but it's every 7 seconds. It adds up. You just need to keep switching target to the optimum rather than spamming the same guy who noticed you're there and is now angling against you.

The ship is very fragile, but it's also very fun. It just requires a different approach, alternating between sneaking into position, gunning something down for as long as it's safe then retreating to repeat. With a well-positioned smoke it racks up damage very fast.

And if you do make a mistake, the heal brings you back into the fight while other cruisers would have to double their caution.

1 person likes this

Agreed with the praise for this vessel.  Pleasure to play, loved its play style, sold it for the Fiji then won it back in the Christmas mission line...winner all around.  It now sits in my port smiling at me.

2 people like this

Well I just had my first "Non-shite game in a RN cruiser", and it was in a stock Leander. So I'm willing to believe.

However there's a pair of niggling doubts in the back of my mind. First it was a T6 game (something that's almost unheard of these days). Plus no one actually bothered to shoot at me for the first half of the game. And of course as soon as someone glanced in my direction I've lost 60% of my health.

I want ot believe that the RN aren't gimped all the way to tier 10. But I'm only two games distant from the Emerald...

Well I just had my first "Non-shite game in a RN cruiser", and it was in a stock Leander. So I'm willing to believe.

However there's a pair of niggling doubts in the back of my mind. First it was a T6 game (something that's almost unheard of these days). Plus no one actually bothered to shoot at me for the first half of the game. And of course as soon as someone glanced in my direction I've lost 60% of my health.

I want ot believe that the RN aren't gimped all the way to tier 10. But I'm only two games distant from the Emerald...

As soon as you THINK someone could glance at you, you slow down to be at <20 knots, so as soon as someone glanced in your direction, you pop smoke and start hammering them from the smoke.

Otherwise you use your concealment to get into a position where you will have 2-3 targets to shoot at, and choose the one that gives you the most broadside (usually, its works best if you are near the cap, shooting everything that comes close).

As soon as your smoke is about to run out, you get back into concealment, and spend next 30-40 sec finding another position where you think you will be most useful from your smoke.

As soon as you THINK someone could glance at you, you slow down to be at <20 knots, so as soon as someone glanced in your direction, you pop smoke and start hammering them from the smoke.

So drive around at 1/4 Engine power? :p

I loved my Leander. At no time did it feel like a grind.

I'm very tempted to buy it back.

2 people like this

As a prize ship from Santa's Convoy I'm pleasantly surprised how good a ship she is.

I had no real intentions to start the RN line due to the early tier dross and my refusal to spend fxp on them.

But tier 6 with smoke/heal/hydro/torps and that AP = superb!

Highlight has been soloing a Cleveland and Warspite by running rings around their turrets and torping them to death.

Priceless gaming moments!

1 person likes this

Third game...

*looks at the Leander*

Who the hell are you and what have you done with the RN CL tree?