Sea_viper

RN Cruiser smoke is disgusting

19 comments in this topic

[BONE]
Players
240 posts
4,697 battles

I was playing the Royal Navy CL line till T5 and also bought HMS Belfast recently. I did kinda Ok but there is one thing that really annoys me, the smoke.

This @#$% of a smoke is 100% "selfish smoke". It is design to cover a stationary ship spamming shells inside it. Which is exactly OPPOSITE of how Royal Navy think of its cruiser! 

RN Cruisers of both World War serve the fleet, they are first and foremost the eyes and ears of the fleet. They perform scouting and shadowing duty for heavier elements of the fleet. So it is okay to run away, it is okay to be a poor dualist but it is criminal if contact to important target is lost and have heavy ships to spot for your bloody cruiser!

So giving RN CL selfish smoke is rather offensive for Royal Navy fans. I would be much happier if WG give the exact opposite type of smoke for RN. 

-very Long puff time

-very small radius per puff

-very short smoke hang time

Let say the a smoke that puff for 100s, with radius of < 100m and hang time of 20s.

It means that the puff is so small that it can't hide a ship sitting in it and it work best when the smoke laying ship is running with the fleet and it would provide a 20s x ship speed worth of smoke trail for around 100s. 

With this smoke, there can be much more dynamic play, instead of sitting inside smoke , the fleet need to move with the smoke. It also stops the smoke layer using the smoke to stealth fire. To compensate for the lost of damage potential, move the Radar to the hydro slot or give HE back! Now that would be a fun line to play.

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles

You british dudes/Royal navy fans are really very creative  in finding stuff that offends you.

Waiting for the first one complaining about the wooden planks laying around on deck of the Belfast being an insult to the Royal Navy.

cDmJ4cs.jpg

Edited by LilJumpa
  • Cool 8

Beta Tester
914 posts

You british dudes/Royal navy fans are really very creative  in finding stuff that offends you.

Waiting for the first one complaining about the wooden planks laying around on deck of the Belfast being an insult to the Royal Navy.

cDmJ4cs.jpg

Good lord don't remove that it's half of the ships armour!!!!!!!
  • Cool 24

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,985 battles

When someone gets offended over stuff like this I always remember a guy in another MMO I played.

In that MMO you could submit flag designs for manual approval to get them added for you in the game, but they had to follow some rules like being appropriate for the time period of the game and so on.

This guy had submitted a flag with the emblem of some branch of the US Armed Forces and when it got rejected he went on this epic rant about how the developers disrespected the soldiers who had died for their country and even worse things.

Of course this complaint isn't nearly as bad, but it still brings back the fond memory of that crazy guy. Those were good times. :tea_cap:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
128 posts
3,748 battles

I'd love to be deeply offended ,however i have to agree ,this forum really does reflect badly on the british populous ,in an attempt to counter all the negativity ,i love the british trees in WoT ,WoWp and here also ,im just happy to be able to play my nation in a game. 

Just hoping this forum returns to being ,interesting ,informative and helpful ,as opposed to the current crop of topics that are repetitive and tiresome.

• Cool 1

[-MM]
Beta Tester
1,182 posts
1,446 battles

cDmJ4cs.jpg

Someone should get that guy who is always polishing the torpedo to clear that mess up. 
  • Cool 1

[1378]
Players
460 posts
3,052 battles

Someone should get that guy who is always polishing the torpedo to clear that mess up.

I am so happy you didn't say "his torpedo".

OT: The poster may have a point, however, since this is a game of ships shooting other ships and not a detailed simulation game I'd say the smoke on British cruisers is fine.

• Cool 1

Players
181 posts

I'd love to be deeply offended ,however i have to agree ,this forum really does reflect badly on the british populous ,in an attempt to counter all the negativity ,i love the british trees in WoT ,WoWp and here also ,im just happy to be able to play my nation in a game. 

Just hoping this forum returns to being ,interesting ,informative and helpful ,as opposed to the current crop of topics that are repetitive and tiresome.

Interesting: It already is, thanks to the work of the forumites, not the staff mind you. We've got a plethora of great threads hanging around

informative: Ditto above, and if you want even more information , visit the other subforums as well

helpful: Game Guides section

current crop of topics that are repetitive and tiresome: This game have had awful flaws even since CBT. Of course the same topics will come a lot of times when even some of those flaws are flatly denied by the staff and developers. And what is worse, they keep making awful and avoidable mistakes like this new RN CL line or the rework of the economy which shafted the already small CV population at high tiers.

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,683 posts
7,239 battles

Only alternative would be to remove the smoke, you couldn't justify making it any stronger.

While it might jar with other players I'm finding it to be super powerful as is.  As long as you have someone spotting your enemy you slow to a stop, pop the smoke and sit and pound the enemy without risk. Best place to do this is next to an island which you can slip behind  Activating hydro acoustic search prevents you getting torpedoed in your smoke.  These CLs are more like super DDs.

Players
849 posts
2,954 battles

OP, this isn't a simulation of WWII naval combat. If that were the case it would be a VERY different beast indeed and wouldn't have a 10th of the player base it has now.

You have to fit these themes given to ship classes within the context of the game mechanics they are designed to support. People moan about smoke spam from DD's and they didn't want a line of Flint's which would just spam smoke everywhere denying EVERYONE vision on the enemy. It wouldn't work really, thus we have smoke designed to conceal OURSELVES due to the incredibly fragility of the RN CL's. Get over yourself and just adapt to playing the game within the boundaries of the mechanics within it. 

Yes, some people are stupid... they smoke up as soon as they spot the enemy and thus lose that spot for everyone else. This is just poor play by whoever was in the CL and frankly he was over extended if he was spotting the enemy force with no one around him. These ships are designed to be played as large DD's so adapt and play them as such or die. Simple as that really.

• Cool 2

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

The guy who is doing WHAT?! Out on deck?! Oh dear, sounds like he needs some shore leave. Although I guess he is good at handling wood!

In seriousness, I think that wood is there for damage control.

Weekend Tester
665 posts

Can you imagine what the russians , germans , yanks would have been like if their ships, were a complete cluster [edited]like the RN. Yeah they would have said nothing either :sceptic:

[BONE]
Players
240 posts
4,697 battles

Yay! Massive Success in creating a click bait title and make my self look like idiot of the day!:trollface:​ 

Okay, lets put RN cruiser aside, I just want to talk about the smoke mechanic. :trollface:

I am just wondering why WG opt for these large and long hang time smoke that stalls the game, instead of smaller smoke trail that is much more dynamic to play with? 

Since the only difference between the two are puff time, smoke radius and hang time, which they can obviously tune?

Beta Tester
898 posts
8,742 battles

The smoke for RN cruisers is a double edge sword. Yes you can hide in it and spam AP, but you are stationary in a small cloud, not so difficult to hit. However most players have learnt that RN cruisers cannot really damage them, so they charge them down. For me, sitting in a smoke cloud firing low damage AP is boring. Quite honestly just let them take less damage, with no smoke at all, a fast quick turning cruiser would be more fun.

Players
1,008 posts

I was playing the Royal Navy CL line till T5 and also bought HMS Belfast recently. I did kinda Ok but there is one thing that really annoys me, the smoke.

This @#$% of a smoke is 100% "selfish smoke". It is design to cover a stationary ship spamming shells inside it. Which is exactly OPPOSITE of how Royal Navy think of its cruiser! 

RN Cruisers of both World War serve the fleet, they are first and foremost the eyes and ears of the fleet. They perform scouting and shadowing duty for heavier elements of the fleet. So it is okay to run away, it is okay to be a poor dualist but it is criminal if contact to important target is lost and have heavy ships to spot for your bloody cruiser!

So giving RN CL selfish smoke is rather offensive for Royal Navy fans. I would be much happier if WG give the exact opposite type of smoke for RN. 

-very Long puff time

-very small radius per puff

-very short smoke hang time

Let say the a smoke that puff for 100s, with radius of < 100m and hang time of 20s.

It means that the puff is so small that it can't hide a ship sitting in it and it work best when the smoke laying ship is running with the fleet and it would provide a 20s x ship speed worth of smoke trail for around 100s. 

With this smoke, there can be much more dynamic play, instead of sitting inside smoke , the fleet need to move with the smoke. It also stops the smoke layer using the smoke to stealth fire. To compensate for the lost of damage potential, move the Radar to the hydro slot or give HE back! Now that would be a fun line to play.

​My 51 year old arse in the moonlight is discusting, RN Cruiser smoke isnt.

I was expected all this rage for months now. It just goes to show that some players, not all, were never going to be happy no matter what. They would always find something to rage about. No new line has been spot on straight away. The fact you cant understand why WG are trying something different and not just creating a 'Light Cruiser branch that spams HE' says more about you that it does WG. There have been enough BB whiners complaining about cruisers spamming HE and burning their shinny new battleship for months. WG are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

At the end of the day after assessing the line's performance over a period of time (not just a few days), they may end up putting HE back. If that happens then so be it. I for one, fully understand why they tried something different. If you don't understand why WG did it in the first place, then that is a little sad because 'more of the same' is not what is needed.

Players
1,648 posts
12,122 battles

As a true RN Gentleman you should pop smoke with your teenage ship (cruiser) and offer it to some adult (battleship). Your courtesy will be highly appreciated.

Don't complain about selfish smoke when using it selfishly :P

[BONE]
Players
240 posts
4,697 battles

Ahh... It is difficult to change the momentum of the thread!

Actually I like the RN cruiser line, it actually works quite well for me. I just wish that the smoke is more useful in fleet work instead of static concealment!

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
2,070 posts
1,108 battles

Please leave your feedback regarding the RN cruisers here >click here<. Do not go making new threads.

Thread closed due to breaches of the forum rules:

2.5 Off Topic, spamming and trolling

• Creation of topics that already exist on the forum (Please use search and add to existing topics were possible)