Sign in to follow this  
Sub_Eleven

Gearing 18 point captain TA vs Vigilance

4 comments in this topic

Players
1,225 posts

Currently I'm closing in on my 18th captain point on the gearing and am pondering which last skill to get. I've experimented with TA on the PT a couple of times but had mixed results with it. Nowadays with the hydro spam I think it might be more useful now then when I did some tests with it.

I have my gearing set up as a brawler (I play flecther as torpedo boat, didn't want gearing to be the same) with the gun reload mod instead of the more popular torpedo reload one, with the default BFT, LS, SI, SE, CE captain skills. I hardly ever sit still and prefer to use my smoke for the fleet when able, not to many troubles with torpedoes in knife fights (or random torpedoes in the open for that matter).

So what I would like opinions on, is TA worth it to get some better odds on torpedo strikes, even when not using the torpedo reload upgrade? Or should I focus more on being saver in knifefights and take vigilance even though I hardly ever eat torpedoes?

Players
1,071 posts
8,134 battles

I have played my Gearing with TA for some time and while it is nice to have, you hit enough torpedoes without it. What i noticed with TA is, that you do not hit more devestating strikes or ships in general, but you hit more often with an additional torpedo when the enemy ship dodges. So the ship turns to dodge your torps and instead one torp you hit sometimes 2 torps with TA. Not really that big of a deal imo.

On the other hand is Vigilance something you always have active and more and more ships have torps these days, not only DDs, but also BBs and Cruiser. Vi is also not only for you, especially as teamplayer, but you give the big ships behind you more time to react when you detect torps sooner. In addition to this, detecting torps gives XP now and you don't want other ships to detect these torps before you do and steal away these sweet XP!? ;)

I'm also not too far away from my 18th point but i play a bit different setup. Right now i have BFT, TAE, LS, Vi, DE, CE. Once i get my 18th point i'm not sure if i'll take BoS or respec to BFT, LS, SI, Vi, DE, CE.

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
1,085 posts
11,626 battles

Vigilence - the extra torp speed won't do anything for you most of the time. 66kn is enough to land torpedoes on anything.

Vigilence helps a LOT with knife fighting.

Sign in to follow this