Sign in to follow this  
voltaicgrunt

Variation of Islands and Icebergs

5 comments in this topic

Players
165 posts
435 battles

Hi

All the islands in WOWS seem to be boring. Lumps of granite poking out of the sea at irregular intervals. If the sun is shining we get a few paler limestone lumps. I know they're there to add gameplay options and they're not even closely modelled to actual islands so that the developers can manufacture firing angles. Lumps is definitely the wrong word, because they look beautifully made, but boring.

I am not asking for geographically accurate islands, clearly this would be ridiculous, but you could make them far more interesting. Should you require, I have a camera. Send travel expenses and I will provide photos of Santorini, Bali, Haulong Bay, St Kitts and the Great Barrier Reef.

Stone of all types is highly varied in colour, as you will discover when the missus wants a new kitchen. In strong sunlight, limestone, which is usually a blahhhh biege often looks pretty shades of pink. Everyone knows the colour of Dover's cliffs.

On Icebergs.

The weather people have radars and climate models which trackand predict the progress of icebergs into the ocean. Would it be possible to use a simplified model like this, pump pre-modelled icebergs into the top and let it create random maps? 

I know nothing about code or how difficult (or expensive) it would be to change. But next time the developers are working on a new map, can we please have some pretty islands.

VGrunt

[NED]
Players
4,181 posts
11,672 battles

Actually this doesn't sound that weird OP. Now that you mention it: 1 of the wonders of this game is the stunning eye for detail IMO. But the islands do often seem a bit "cartoonish" IMO. And in game tech sometimes ridiculous "behaviour" Like getting stuck, still quite a distance from a "90' straight pointing down" piece of rock... I can understand beaching within range on a sand atol. But not at a "shiprock in sea!"

Don't take my POV wrong: I really love the sense of detail and frankly: I still like to just start my client and only admire the ships in port whithout even playing. Call me pathetic but I just like that. It's the main reason I'm a "shipkeeper." I still cannot bear it in my heart ever to sell 1 ship. I now have 119 ships (inc Halloween) in port... Still finding Mikasa, Nikolai and Tirpitz my most beautiful esthetic vessels. With Novik as honorable mention: for a great part because of the wonderfull 18th century "ball cannons" as decoration! Heck! I even find the Royal Citadel line wonderful to behold. Although I'm afraid I won't start grinding that line any time soon.

Players
1,438 posts

I certainly agree that they can get boring quickly and what is it with placement? Half the time my DD seems to be placed at the back.

I'm assuming WG now limit certain maps to certain tiers as I've not seen the ice flow, fire in the sky and ocean ones for a while (yep, probably not used their proper names lol).

If they were previously ok for my tier why limit maps now and assist the game in getting stale quicker? :honoring:

[PRF]
Players
9 posts
3,817 battles

Don't take my POV wrong: I really love the sense of detail and frankly: I still like to just start my client and only admire the ships in port whithout even playing. Call me pathetic but I just like that.

Glad its not just me that does this then :)

Sign in to follow this