You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Kshat

The obvious afk-carrier at the end of the game and a possible solution

8 comments in this topic

[-TWA-]
Players
159 posts

I guess everybody has experiened games when your carrier is still alive, but afk-ing at some point of the map. In most cases this happens because this carrier is "out of planes", which tend to happen in the lower tiers a lot since these carriers are limited to a rather small number of planes in their hangars.

I know this is historically "correct", but deem it nevertheless bad game design. It is bad for the player of the CV AND for the teammates of this CV. And why? Because the CV-player got unlucky? Isn't as experienced as his counterpart? Trolled by some fags running a 15point-captain in a T4 or T5-match, ruining the day for beginners?

Since it doesn't happen that any other ship runs out of ammo - or torpedoes, which had been even more limited on a DD than planes on a CV - I think it is unreasonably to force CV-players to go afk after some mishaps.

Personally I would rather see a system implemented which is tested by other games: the more you die, the longer your respawn takes. So, carrier-captains would STILL be incentivized not to throw away their planes (which happens sometimes in hightier-matches - if they die it's fine as long as their target dies - the carrier got a large stock of spare planes anyway) but would be kept in the game as long as the carrier itself survives.

They only would have to "invent" some kind of variable which determines the amount of additional time every respawn needs. Which is a stat present on any carrier and could characterize the carrier. So, a hightier-carrier got a minimal increase per plane whereas a midtier-carrier got a higher increase.

Maths for example:

One of your fighters got shot down, the "reload" of this group takes additional 5seconds to replace the fighter. After the next flight, three planes are missing, so the reload takes (+7,5+10+12,5=30s) additional time. During that time, your torpedo squad returns and had lost two planes, so their reload takes (+5+7,5=12,5s) additional time.

Obviously, exact numbers have to be determined and I would opt for a more complex formula so that the increase of reloadtime starts pretty flat but gets steeper after some amount of time. This way you could somewhat emulate the number of planes carried by the system in place right now.

This might be a small kink in the CV-gamemechanic right now, which needs a severe overhaul in my opinion, but maybe it is a start.

Edited by Kshat

Players
158 posts
2,419 battles

Isn't there something like this already in place? from what i've seen if you lose an entire group it takes a lot longer for the cooldown timer than landing a partial group and re-arming.  Of course you also have to take into account the return time of a group after they hit a target and then the re-arm time on top of that.

But overall I like the idea, it would be nice not having to worry about running out of planes, although from what I hear that's really not a problem on the higher tiers and I doubt the bb's would like the fact that enemy CV's could potentially harrass them all game long. 

I dabble in all classes so I can get a perspective of the enemy, and kudos to all the CV players out there that have to put up with crap all the time, just recently unlocked tier 7 US CV myself.

I've only ever ran out of planes a few times but running off and hiding in the corner of the map seems cheap, usually I hide behind mountains and use division buddies to lure ships there and drag agro while I try to ram them. :)

• Cool 1

[FATAL]
Beta Tester
571 posts
2,586 battles

I'm all for CVs running out of planes ;-)

Seriously though, if the battle draws out and you run out of planes, go cap, help the team by distracting fire and\or try and ram someone.  Limited air complements are, surely (?) something that is used by WG to balance CVs, especially at lower tiers where regular ships have relatively poor AA capabilities?   Giving CVs endless planes, even with longer "reloads" for them, would simply allow them to run around the map (some of them are VERY fast) endlessly spawning aircraft to hammer slower ships as the game drags on.

I'm not in favour of this particular idea, sorry.  However, I do think the whole class need looking at, especially the UI.

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,088 posts
14,054 battles

Just extend the stock of planes for all the carriers. All of the carriers (apart from the Midway and the tier 7s) don't have enough planes to keep going if the CV player doesn't play conservatively. This means that a poor CV player would hamper the team even more than they would be otherwise as they are effectively out of the game by the 10 minute mark. It would certainly increase the rate of CV adoption, especially in the lower tiers where sometimes you can't even fully replace a single lost attack.

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
773 posts
7,419 battles

A CV player that runs out of planes and then tries not to die is a good thing for the team. Yolo out of planes CV cost lots of points to your team and gives the other team lots of points.

Of course it's better if they don't run out of planes but management of these is part of what makes CV play.

Edit.. if op means having a system where CV has respawning planes, it's not a terrible idea. But would be very painful if your CV was sniped and you were still facing full plane squads in late game when aa is diminished. Basically, would entrench CV sniping as there only way to play.

Players
1,648 posts
12,122 battles

Seriously though, if the battle draws out and you run out of planes, go cap, help the team by distracting fire and\or try and ram someone.

CVs are worth most points of all ship types. A team can/should not afford losing those points. If both teams only have CVs left, they can go for a secondaries duel or ram which is very funny tbh. But while there are other ships around, don't ruin your team's score by getting sunk in a yolo run.
  • Cool 1

[FATAL]
Beta Tester
571 posts
2,586 battles

CVs are worth most points of all ship types. A team can/should not afford losing those points. If both teams only have CVs left, they can go for a secondaries duel or ram which is very funny tbh. But while there are other ships around, don't ruin your team's score by getting sunk in a yolo run.

Good point, didn't think of that.  Still don't think they should get endless air complements though, even with longer and longer respawns.

[-TWA-]
Players
159 posts

Well, after the first planes the DPS will be lower than with the previous system. And at the time he would be out of planes with the system as is, the respawn would be that long that his planes seem to be more like a consumable - you should think thrice of how to use them :)