You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Kamikazesushi

Game is boring below tier 5...at least for me...isn´t it a problem for WG?

42 comments in this topic

[-RT-]
Players
299 posts
18,896 battles

The new RN cruisers reminded me how boring the low tier games are. And this is a problem for all lines, not just RN ships.

For all lines tier 1 is ok since you play just few games there, for tier 2 you also dont need many games/free XP. But tier 3 and 4 are really painful to grind. At RN cruisers I am at tier 4 and I cant bring myself to play more than 1 or 2 games. The problem did not occur at German BBs since I saved over 40 k free XP for them....But how about new players?

Really I like this game and I keep a lot of ships (influding Furutaka, Faragut, Baltimore and other unpopular ships that I find fun to play) but the only ship below tier 5 that is worth playing is Arkansas (with the accuracy upgrade). Or someone here likes these low tiers?

The reason why I think its a problem is that it discourages new players. I started playing in closed beta, where the grind was much faster.....if I would start now I dont think I would be playing this game anymore because the low tier grind would be too much to bear. Does WG expect new players to man up and grind through boring low tiers or just pay for free XP? Should not the game be fun from start to attract new players?

Edited by Kamikazesushi

Players
158 posts
2,419 battles

I find the low tiers ok.  It's actually nice to go back every now and again and have some fun and not try hard all the time.

By comparison you are always going to prefer the higher tiers which is good because you have to be willing to get there through the less favorable ones, to me that's the whole point of a grindy game.

Except for the RN. I straight up free xped that biatch to tier 8. ;)

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
14,653 posts
10,873 battles

Yes, I do.

Dresden, St. Louis, Bogatyr, Nassau, Kawachi (with all the RN Cruisers), Ishizuchi, Kaiser, Imperator are all fun to play.

You could probably add Kuma, Phoenix, Umikaze, Isokaze and Clemson.

Edited by ColonelPete
  • Cool 2

[D_R_M]
Players
873 posts
15,530 battles

I think they do it on purpose. They make playing a lower tiers either boring or you face ships two tiers higher, so you get frustrated and spend real money to progress faster thru the tiers. Propably so they do not end up like War Thunder aviation where most players simply does not bother with the highest tier. 

[MIMI]
Beta Tester
723 posts
2,861 battles

I actually consider tier4 the second most fun tier in the current matchmaking meta. You get only +1 MM, but there are quite a few very decent ships there (plus the OP Nikolai). Combined with somewhat shorter ranges and smaller maps, I find tier 4 to be very fun indeed. Only tier7 is better atm because you get to be top tier so often.

Tier 5 and 6 otoh are pure hell right now.

• Cool 2

[HF_30]
Players
1,315 posts

Just adore the Clemson, most fun ship ever. A versatile bully. Slap a good captain on her and she's just a brutal seal-clubber. Try vigilance, superintendent, AFT and/or DE. CE is just unsporting. Ishizuchi is also seriously underrated, very fast for a BB at that tier, lots of secondaries, extremely good HE. DD-hunting in a battlecruiser anyone? Try it and low tiers can be so much fun (the salty tears of other BB captains you burned to crisps are a bonus, especially when accompanied by cries from your teammates "Shoot AP, Noob!"). To me low tiers are the laboratory of the game. Forgiving economy and general chaos allows to experiment with things you just can't get away with otherwise. And if it goes wrong... well nobody really notices, nobody expect people at those tiers to have the slightest idea what they're doing anyway.

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,683 posts
7,227 battles

I think going back to low tiers to grind out a new line and finding it "boring" is not unusual or unexpected after the depth and breadth of play at the higher tiers.  Fortunately for me I really enjoy the game at tier IV and above because of favorite ships.

Edited by Hedgehog1963

[-AWF-]
Players
1,196 posts
6,468 battles

Last time I enjoyed the lower tiers were when the Russian cruisers were released. Sure, the tier II one is trash, but then you get distinct playstyles and changes first on III (Bogatyr is still OP as f...) and then yet another change with the Svietlana.

There we have a well thought out cruiser line whith new mecanics for each tier, but that times was not spent on the RN line, that is for sure.

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

But tier 3 and 4 are really painful to grind. At RN cruisers I am at tier 4 and I cant bring myself to play more than 1 or 2 games. The problem did not occur at German BBs since I saved over 40 k free XP for them...

RN didn't exactly get love from WG with AP only to please BBs.

Danae can be even citadelled by destroyer HE.

I wonder what weird compartment they managed to include into its citadel hitbox. (cold storage in Warspite)

But master race BBs aren't such weak ships at those tiers.

Oh, and sorry for interrupting your smoke firing in Flint with torps something like week ago.

I think they do it on purpose. They make playing a lower tiers either boring or you face ships two tiers higher

T3 is limited to meeting T4s and T4 to at most T5 enemies.

[NED]
Players
4,183 posts
11,672 battles

Oh I'm having a ball in most low tier matches. I absolutely love the chaos and shell storms coming with that. I even don't mind my friendly DD's are a bigger danger than the reds are! Always like to learn newer players a trick or two. With the new RN line the time is right for me to start grinding the German BB line. And highly enjoying Kaiser!

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
2,328 posts
5,725 battles

I find those tiers boring too but is it a problem for WG?  Should they really be concerned?

I usually only play low tiers when grinding through it and I am always pretty thankful I don't need to be there very long.

Occasionally I will be in a division and someone will want to play a low tier and I know which ships I will use... but I would still rather be higher up the tiers.

[-RT-]
Players
299 posts
18,896 battles

I find those tiers boring too but is it a problem for WG?  Should they really be concerned?

Well if the new players are facing a "boring low tier game" and quit for this reason...i see a problem for WG. This happened to a friend of mine who started recently. I was telling him it gets better at higher tiers. And I remembered this yesterday while playing the Danae.....

Actually I am surprised how many ppl like lower tiers. For me the fun starts at tier 5+

[BONI]
Players
1,063 posts
9,316 battles

Below t4 is really vanilla because of the lack of airpower and consumables that help make the ship types what they are, nor as the modifications (Plotting Room, etc) to customize your ship a bit. BBs are mostly the same at t3, and many cruisers don't yet get torps. There's just not much reason to play low tiers once you grind past them, which is a shame. I guess WG see it as a sort of kiddie pool where newbs play against each other and no one else bothers except maybe when there's a new line.

Players
1,429 posts
14,787 battles

There are a lot of fun ships at low tiers, most were mentioned already. I would like to add Derzki to the list, it's hilarious to play. Especially back when we had a flood of German BBs. :playing:

Beta Tester
67 posts

Because the passive long range campfests in high tier with delicious soups cooked by 5vs5 dds are oh so exciting... Please... The game is best at tier 3-5, at least that range has diversity.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
367 posts
2,137 battles

Anything but tier 7 sucks, to be honest.

Tiers 1 - 4 is just kindergarten, but instead of kids running around and screaming, it is headless pink ships sailing around launching torps from the second line with a healthy dose of clubbing Umi/Iso/Mine-kazes.

Tiers 5 and 6 is basically a big ''F*** you" from the matchmaker as you sail your cannon fodder for the tier 7 and 8 ships.

Tier 7 is where you really feel useful and the gameplay is actually rewarding for the most part.

Tiers 8+ are a combination of super engaging bow-on max range sniping, HE spam from invisible Atago/Kutuzov/Chapayev/Zao/Moskva and can't move because 10 - 12 DD torpedo soup. Basically 20-minutes of nobody doing anything.

Edited by thestaggy
  • Cool 2

Supertest Coordinator
6,336 posts
4,240 battles

There is only one troll at low tiers and that's the imperator.

Low tier games are for a bit of frenetic fun or seal clubbing. They are fun but in a different way.

At the moment tier 6-8 is the fun zone. It used to be 5-8 but then new MM happened.

Tier 9-10 is the interesting zone but also the realm of salt...

• Cool 1

[PNAVY]
[PNAVY]
Players
1,048 posts
29,707 battles

There is only one troll at low tiers and that's the imperator.

Someone's calling? :teethhappy:

n8yBn9W.jpg

zkPLLol.png

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
1,673 posts
15,374 battles

n8yBn9W.jpg

zkPLLol.png

Impregnator is the Ultimate Seal Clubbing tool of choice mine agrees !!!

Impy%20stats_zps5jlu9n52.jpg

Edited by cherry2blost
  • Cool 1

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,954 battles

Only the RN is boring at low tiers. Arguably the KM as well.

IJN, US and RU is plenty fun.

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,193 posts
11,899 battles

n8yBn9W.jpg

I think my mate and I have actually been in that battle, me counter-trolling with Arkansas Beta, but I have not been as successful in clubbing seals and farming achievements, so kudos! :honoring:

We did win though. :yes_cap:

Taking out low tiers can really be fun from time to time...

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
871 posts
5,588 battles

Personally I find lower tiers quite fun. I think it's a shame because if it weren't for stats I would play 1 to 4 more often. I don't mean winning stat because well If you win, that's seal clubbing. Damage stats and the likes would stay low if you stay down there. Shame really, there are some nice looking ships and battles are close range and fun.

Edited by Venatacia

[PNAVY]
[PNAVY]
Players
1,048 posts
29,707 battles

I think my mate and I have actually been in that battle, me counter-trolling with Arkansas Beta, but I have not been as successful in clubbing seals and farming achievements, so kudos! :honoring:

We did win though. :yes_cap:

Taking out low tiers can really be fun from time to time...

The remaining ships were me and Kuma. I don't have a screenshot for the scoreboard, So I can't tell whether you were in that battle or not. :)

For my Nikolai the RN cruisers are easy food. I can citadel and kill a RN CA even if it's angeled!!

The Nikolai is considered to be the most powerful battlehip in its tier and it gets better matchmaking than the Tirpitz/Shcharnhorst, So it's a deadly ship!

Impregnator is the Ultimate Seal Clubbing tool of choice mine agrees !!!

Impy%20stats_zps5jlu9n52.jpg

Nice states. :great:

Nikolai is the T4 crusher! :red_button:

Edited by ABED1984