You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
nambr9

Time for my first T9

23 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Players
2,726 posts
7,357 battles

So I am very close to get my first T9 ship.

I am not very drawn to high tier matches, so I would like to ask for some opinions what to go for for the most FUN and less FRUSTRATION.

I can go for Iowa, Flether or Donskoi.

thanx for all opinions

Beta Tester
891 posts
10,637 battles

IMO: Iowa

I'm not a Fan of USN DDs, I prefer my IJN DDs (Kagero with 5.4km concealment is nice)

I'm not a fan of RU CAs - recently sold my Moskva

Iowa however is a nice ship with decent armor, great AA und awesome speed (which I also happen to prefer over Montana)

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Players
68 posts
3,852 battles

IMO Fletcher. You are one of the best high tier torp boats with good reloads, get a decent stealth fire, good aa, are the best cap bully DD in the game bar the Gearing, and have very workable stealth rating. 

Basically you're a souped up Benson that is moderately better at everything. 

[NED]
Players
4,183 posts
11,672 battles

With all respect. I see you don't have that much experience in T 8 yet with all the relevant ships (NC, Benson and Chapayev). My advice is to build up some more and wait untill going to T9. Otherwise maybe it will be a dissapointment no matter what your choice is. But if you want to pursue I'd advice you Iowa. I see you have a lot of BB experience. IMO Iowa is a very forgiving, well functioning BB which can deliver extreme hard punches. On the outside Iowa is very like the NC. But it just has that extra perks which make it a formidable ship.

• Cool 1

[TTT]
Players
1,952 posts
6,062 battles

The Fletcher is a great ship. Does torpedoes better than the Kagero, still has good guns and has DF to keep CVs away.

Players
385 posts
8,685 battles

Your question very much depends on yourself - very subjective thus it's hard to get a clear answer here.

Maybe you can give some info about your game style.

[-MM]
Beta Tester
1,182 posts
1,430 battles

Fletcher is my only tier 9 but it can basically do all DD roles pretty well, it's not really bad or even average at anything. 

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
2,328 posts
5,725 battles

Fletcher is an absolute animal.  Iowa is decent.  Can't speak for the Russian CA.

Players
3,565 posts
7,329 battles

Iowa is significantly more vulnerable than North Carolina - larger and exposed citadel. Fletcher is Benson with waaay better torps and have access to Defensive Fire, while keeping all 5 turrets. No clue about Donskoi, it doesn't seem particularly bad besides size and lack of concealment, typical RU cruiser traits.

There is no reason to go into tier 9 or 10, unless you really want to get "top tier boat" - they are expensive to run and in case of tier 9, expensive to upgrade. Ship with upgraded hull, engines, guns and whatnot costs more than tier 10.

Players
1,011 posts
10,302 battles

@OP

Iowa if you like BB play.

Fletcher for all around fun as it is a little monster.

Donskoi.......it sucks so much I sold it before getting the moskva....it just sucks.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,726 posts
7,357 battles

Thank you for your answers. Ferry_25 thanks for being honest, I like your reply the most.

Perhaps I should really play some more T8 ... the sole reason for me to have T9 is that It would allow me to participate in some T9/10 divisions.

I used to play BBs a lot, but then I lost interest. I like DDs the most, but to be honest i dont like USN DD arcs that much. If only they would have Blyska arc ... that would be orgasmic.

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Players
68 posts
3,852 battles

Thank you for your answers. Ferry_25 thanks for being honest, I like your reply the most.

Perhaps I should really play some more T8 ... the sole reason for me to have T9 is that It would allow me to participate in some T9/10 divisions.

I used to play BBs a lot, but then I lost interest. I like DDs the most, but to be honest i dont like USN DD arcs that much. If only they would have Blyska arc ... that would be orgasmic.

If the sole reason is to division up and play with friends then do it! Surely being social and having fun is the most important thing! Besides if you've played T8 games enough to be ready for T9 in 3 lines then you'll have had plenty of games facing T10s so it won't be a complete shock. 

And if you don't like the USN DD style then, again, play what you find fun!

Players
3,565 posts
7,329 battles

Russian DD guns are great in that regard, but their handling and concealment makes them closer to cruisers than actual DDs

[OSC]
Players
656 posts
12,262 battles

You asked fun and not frustrating, Fletcher then, youre not rng dependent, tou soam shells like crap, torps are good (upgraded ones) 5.8 spotting, good stealth fire. In iowa youre youre going to pray to rngesus alot, so frustrating, fletcher is fun, op and forgiving as much as dd can be at least.

[DSW]
Players
3,785 posts
7,726 battles

The answer to your (implied) question "will I enjoy the Iowa?" is basically the same as your answer to the question "Do you enjoy the NC?" - and exactly the same for Fletcher/Benson. Both of those are extremely close to their predecessors in terms of capabilities and playstyle, they just do basically everything better (with a few exceptions, like Iowa's gigantic overwater citadel compared to NC).

For the Donskoi it's a bit harder to answer - the playstyle at its heart is similar to Chappy (long range HE spam), but she doesnt stealthfire nearly as well, and somehow the 180mm guns feel very lackluster with their HE shells against battleships (they have neither the raw damage of other nations' 203s nor the sheer rate of fire of the Chappy/MK). AP is pretty awesome tho... so that's a plus... dunno, of these three the Donskoi is in my opinion the trickiest ship to play well and enjoy...

[JRM]
Players
660 posts
10,858 battles

I sold Iowa only after 2 battles played in it. I dont like the fact that ammunition is very expensive for Iowa, dont know why is this, so I gave up from USN BBs line then. Switched to IJN BBs and stayed there. By selling Iowa, imidiatelly after i boght it  i lost 10 mill credits :).

Players
371 posts
6,661 battles

All 3 are solid choices.Donskoi its a little squishy but amazing guns,Iowa its an upgrade over nc,faster shells ,she is faster ,better armour slighty worse rudder shift its a good all rounder.Fletcher is just fletcher,nothing to complain there.Ps:get used to get shot a lot in donskoi

[SCRUB]
Players
2,726 posts
7,357 battles

Some interesting and informative opinions... thank you all.

I am leaning towards Fletcher, just because I feel more comfortable in a DD, but I wanted to clear things out from your experience. 

The problem for me in this game is that I am more of a "casual" player, and so my progression is slow. Therefore any "miss-buy" is somewhat painful.

Thank you again guys and I hope to see you in random game same time!

[NED]
Players
4,183 posts
11,672 battles

nambr: start low and go slow is the way to make the most out of this game... I made the mistake of grinding too fast myself.

Beta Tester
128 posts
3,707 battles

I just had a quick look at your stats t6-8 on warship.today and russian cruisers are amongst highest WTR on each tier. Seems to be your thing.

Players
1,225 posts

Some interesting and informative opinions... thank you all.

I am leaning towards Fletcher, just because I feel more comfortable in a DD, but I wanted to clear things out from your experience. 

The problem for me in this game is that I am more of a "casual" player, and so my progression is slow. Therefore any "miss-buy" is somewhat painful.

Thank you again guys and I hope to see you in random game same time!

Can't go wrong with fletcher. Her gun arcs are fine as long as you don't try to spam shells on targets 12km away, but use her effective gun range instead.