Sign in to follow this  
ATLAN_DA_GONOZAL

Best newby BB

21 comments in this topic

[ST-EU]
Supertest Coordinator
3,691 posts
5,781 battles

German BB line would be the most user friendly. But personally if I was you I would try some cruisers first to get experience. Battleships can be quite difficult for new players.

• Cool 2

[T-N-T]
[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,821 posts
9,234 battles

The best BB on t3 is Nassau (German BB) and also this line is good and easy to play so I recommend you the German BB

Players
6 posts
1,066 battles

Thanx for the fast replys.

@ Hanszeehock

Dont worry I had that Idea already.

I got all cruisers and dds in t3 so Im not racing to a BB.

But I want to try a BB aswell, but I plan to get to t4 on cc and dds first. 

Greetz Atlan

[T-N-T]
[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,821 posts
9,234 battles

German BB line would be the most user friendly. But personally if I was you I would try some cruisers first to get experience. Battleships can be quite difficult for new players.

I don't think that cruisers with their feature to be sunk by one salvo from enemy BB is good choice for beginner.

I think the BB are the one class which can hold some time even if it is under fire. But I also recommend to play some PvE battles before go to PvP.

• Cool 1

Players
6 posts
1,066 battles

@ Sigimundis

I think Hanszeehock means that cruisers give a better overall feel for the game.

Anyway I play every ship I buy a few battles in PVE to get a feel for it,

BTW has WOWA also a sort of function like WOT that eliteships earned exp can go to the crew? I hate getting more and more xp on ships hat are elite.

Players
889 posts
7,321 battles

Nassau definitely. It is an easy entry because it has relatively fast reload and guns pointing all directions, making it easier to lay down fire for the BB novice unaccustomed to the slow reload and slowly turning turrets.

It's a bit of a special case because max range is just 10km and in practice you want to fight much closer than that to hit anything. Quintessential "brawler" BB.

Kaiser at T4 is also born to be brawler, but is much more well rounded with guns reaching out to 14 km and decent AA for T4. It gets bad press for the awkward positioning of the middle turrets, but overall I love it for T4.

For their own tiers, both are "keepers" for me.

Players
1,648 posts
12,122 battles

Mikasa <3

I see why Nassau is being recommended but I utterly detest the German BBs from T3 to T5 due to their horribly slow turret traverse.

I'd rather recommend South Carolina (and the early USN BB tree) due to their tight turning circle, centerlined turrets, and long DamaCon duration.

[ST-EU]
Supertest Coordinator
3,691 posts
5,781 battles

I don't think that cruisers with their feature to be sunk by one salvo from enemy BB is good choice for beginner.

I think the BB are the one class which can hold some time even if it is under fire. But I also recommend to play some PvE battles before go to PvP.

This is certainly not true of St Louis, which is a perfect beginners ship. Cruisers have decent rate of fire and more guns, are more manoeuvrable and faster. Much better to learn the basics on them than BBs IMO. 

Players
1,648 posts
12,122 battles

Agreed. Except for IJN light cruisers, early (armored) cruisers will teach you basics of general gameplay that can easily be reflected on BB gameplay. I made the mistake of rushing BBs. Nagato was the reason why I started playing this game in the first place, so I rushed up the tree neglecting all learning process.

Then again, you can later practice with BBs to train cruiser gameplay just as well. While cruisers' fragility teach you basics of angling and using terrain, battleships teach you to plan ahead and think "outside the box".

Players
236 posts
4,462 battles

Mikasa <3

I see why Nassau is being recommended but I utterly detest the German BBs from T3 to T5 due to their horribly slow turret traverse.

I'd rather recommend South Carolina (and the early USN BB tree) due to their tight turning circle, centerlined turrets, and long DamaCon duration.

It have also a opposite site fast and furious isnt always good....

If you use the geman BB you have to pay more attention on the minimap and also you have to choose your targets with care (broadside ships).

Iff you wanna learn to play battleships start at the low levels (even when the higher tiers looks more awsome, just get familiar with the negative things a BB have, so later on you're can more easier adapt with all the diffrent BB's with there slow turret turning, reload, ship turning, fires, shell disperions, etc, etc.

It will pay out later on and you will be a good BB driver...

Good luck :honoring:

Players
171 posts
4,885 battles

I think that you don't really learn to play BB's until you get into T5 and higher. This is because dispersion on BB's at T4 and lower is so bad that you don't get accurate feedback on your shots; did you aim well but did the shot just disperse poorly, or was the shot poorly aimed but did it good damage because RNG sent it somewhere else.

Because of that, all 3 of the BB lines are viable to learn to play BB's and end up with good ships at T5 and T6. With USN BB's you play the Wyoming at T4, with so many guns that you can fire them one at a time and get a bit better at shooting, the german BB's are indeed forgiving of mistakes except poor turret management, and the IJN BB's get you the mighty Kongo at T5.

• Cool 1

Players
1,186 posts
4,658 battles

I've learned almost as much about sailing battleships by fighting them in a destroyer as I have learned from actually sailing battleships.

• Cool 1

Players
1,048 posts
20,181 battles

I'm also new in WoW and I figured that there are some ships that doesn't cut it for me and other does, in all 4 branches I grind.

In lower tiers I love the Black Swan, best gunnery ever for fun, so I tried to find this feeling back with BBs (pretty much with all types) and I went USN, so far so good.

What makes me happy are good guns and I don't mind the "weird" ballistic, I play them the same way than Chinese tanks in WoT, at long range as long as possible.

I honestly think it is a matter of taste, each person having his/her own playstyle, some like armour, some agility, so it's about looking for the qualities one requires in one ship.

Right now i'm with the New Mexico,  still loads of XP from Colorado which at least on paper is looking like my new niche.

​As a newby, I cant really tell which one is best but I would recommend trying a couple of different lines and look at the ships stats, once you know what you like, which characteristics let you play best, also play  Carriers, DD and Cruisers alike, it helps see from your future adversary perspectives.

[-DSA-]
Players
2,710 posts
7,832 battles

ThinderChief: You are right, every ship line has its own way of playing. However, that means you have to adapt your playstyle to the ship, not the other way round. The US BBs are all brawlers and need at least medium range to shine; they should not be played at maximum range. Your stats tell me that you inflict far too low damage with them, what is a result of playing these ships not in their dedicated way. I recommend to close up with them; for that you need really good situation awarness - that's the difficulty with US BB. If you want to keep your longe range gameplay, better try Japanese ships, they are a little more accurate than the US BB, but need to be played carefully as they are not really sturdy.

Edited by Oely001

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,131 posts
11,671 battles

I found every silver BB beneath T5 trash. Slow, awful dispersion etc.

Imo they're to be tolerated until you can break into the mid tiers. Something like a Kongo or Konig is far more useable.

[-DSA-]
Players
2,710 posts
7,832 battles

I found every silver BB beneath T5 trash. Slow, awful dispersion etc.

Imo they're to be tolerated until you can break into the mid tiers. Something like a Kongo or Konig is far more useable.

That's crap. Myogi is quite fast, Wyoming is very accurate at mid range, Nassau is pure fun to play, South Carolina is far from being easy to play it high performance. Shall I continue? And König is absolutely no fun when matched against T7 battleships, what happens quite often. BTW: Colorado is not much faster than Kawachi!

Edited by Oely001

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,131 posts
11,671 battles

I've played the Myogi throughout but still wouldn't play her willingly. Such derp guns.

Wyoming was never my thing, I didn't like any USB BB until the NM.

Nothing T5 is really fun when faced with T7. Even the mighty Kongo or the AA umbrella that is the Texas. 

I mean totally each to their own but I couldn't live with the lower tier BB. Too used to playing stuff with decent attributes as I usually knock around in things like the Scharn, Amagi, Iowa etc

Sign in to follow this