Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Xander77

Last shot before you die

11 comments in this topic

[NORKS]
Beta Tester
6 posts
5,966 battles

Most of this game I really like. The matchmaking is, in general, quite fair and there seems to be no particular bias to one ship or another bar a few specific examples. However, my one bugbear is it always seems that if you fire a second or less before you die then your shot is forgotten by the system.

I just played a game in the Gneisenau where I was in close to an island, fired and a destroyer appeared. Of course he torped but before the last salvo he'd past my bow so I fired my torpedoes to exact some kind of recompense for my death only to find that the sound for firing went off but no torps came out. It's really frustrating to try and push your ship only to find yourself dying ignominiously to the derision of all of your team (and no doubt commentators to this post) because the game system doesn't actually fire immediately.

Does anyone else suffer with this 'game feature' and is there any improvement which can be garnered?

• Cool 3

Players
1,058 posts
7,676 battles

If you died just at that moment, then the torps didn't have the time to launch. Online games do have latency in terms of actions, and the torp launch didn't go through to the server before your sinking did. Thus, you may end up sending only some or none of the torps if you die too quickly after giving the launch command.

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Quality Poster
1,666 posts
8,514 battles

It is not just latency, a full spread is fired one at the time and that takes a second or two, so if they are not ALL fired, then NONE are considered to be fired.

[NORKS]
Beta Tester
6 posts
5,966 battles

Figured it'd be linked to latency and I do recognise that it takes time to fire, but it's bloomin annoying when it's your last chance to achieve something and it's stolen from you.That destroyer should have died for his actions but due to the mechanics he just sailed away unharmed. Very frustrating.

Weekend Tester
477 posts
4,742 battles

It is not just latency, a full spread is fired one at the time and that takes a second or two, so if they are not ALL fired, then NONE are considered to be fired.

False. It's possible to fire less than all torps from one launcher if the launching is interrupted by ship blowing up. It didn't happen before and I'm unsure what patch changed this, but it's fairly recent change.

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Community, Alpha Tester
3,390 posts
6,118 battles

False. It's possible to fire less than all torps from one launcher if the launching is interrupted by ship blowing up. It didn't happen before and I'm unsure what patch changed this, but it's fairly recent change.

Confirm this. If you are destroyed while launching a spread of fish, the fish that were already launched by the time you blew up are considered launched. Just the other day I launched 1 torpedo from my Benson's second set of tubes.

But of course depends on when exactly you are blown up. If the first fish did not launch yet... Tough luck.

[PRAVD]
Players
1,105 posts
5,601 battles

Confirm this. If you are destroyed while launching a spread of fish, the fish that were already launched by the time you blew up are considered launched. Just the other day I launched 1 torpedo from my Benson's second set of tubes.

But of course depends on when exactly you are blown up. If the first fish did not launch yet... Tough luck.

Strange. Today I was in my Clemson when a cruiser came around the corner. I fired torps, he deleted me and I'm 100% certain I've heard at least one torp getting launched. No fishes in the water however. He must have hit the torp right before it left the launch rail, or maybe when it was in the air! :P

[TEACH]
Alpha Tester
2,324 posts
9,090 battles

If you died just at that moment, then the torps didn't have the time to launch. Online games do have latency in terms of actions, and the torp launch didn't go through to the server before your sinking did. Thus, you may end up sending only some or none of the torps if you die too quickly after giving the launch command.

It's a good point and happens to me all the time (I die a lot). Fire off the guns or torps a seconds or two before you die, you hear and see them fire but nothing materialises.

Players
62 posts
1,188 battles

So I'm guessing it's not a known "bug" as such then?

Its not a bug at all, its a simple artifact of your game client only knowing what has happened after the server has told it the situation.

Sign in to follow this