Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Lladdir_

Spotting damage mechanics?

12 comments in this topic

Players
378 posts
3,401 battles

So basically do we know anything about the spotting damage mechanics?

Like how does the game decide who's "spotting" a target, the nearest ship/plane, the first one to see them, does it change?

And how does spotting damage xp compare to standard damage xp? Do the same rules apply? ie spotting damage on higher tier enemies gives more xp, is it based on percentages rather than raw numbers?

[LORDS]
Players
4 posts
5,317 battles

The first one spotting him afaik.

And changing each time the target becomes unspotted/spotted again.

But u can have a new ribbon for spotting only if the enemy get unspotted for 90sec before u spot him again.

for bxp earned, it’s like in WoT (confirmed by QuickyBaby and Jingles in their videos):

all dmg done by a teammate on your spotting gives u 50% of bxp earned, 100% if u spotted the target u are dmging yourself.

the only doubt i have is about top/low tier factor.

i am sure u earn more bxp if u dmg a t10 while playing t8 ie (confirmed by Jingles too), but I guess that bonus doesn’t affect spotting part if the ship damaging the target isn’t the one who spotted it...

so that bonus is applied only after, on the 50% if someone else spotted for you.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,432 posts
13,843 battles
25 minutes ago, Kilen2018 said:

all dmg done by a teammate on your spotting gives u 50% of bxp earned, 100% if u spotted the target u are dmging yourself.

It's far less than that. Dependent on what class you play, too.

http://shipcomrade.com/?p=875

Unless they changed it but the only change that I remember was that rewards for spotting, tanking, etc. was nerfed even further. No idea whether that was before or after the article was published though if I had to guess I would say after.

• Cool 2

[LORDS]
Players
4 posts
5,317 battles
36 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Nice article, great to have all details

Well, that wasn’t so far.., mostly coz I thought about DD spotting (wich is the most obvious reason why spotting matters and why we want to know)... in that article, they say approx 40% instead of 50 if DD spot.

Wich is similar.

but where QB and Jingles get wrong then (at least concerning WoWS, maybe different in WoT) it’s from the guy doing dmg himself... there is no share 50-50 in that case, he gets 100% of bxp from dmg he dealt.

thats more subtile than they seemed to say.

but, from DD spotting perspective, u must remember u earn ~40% bxp by the spotting, that’s far enough to motivate DD players to go spot for their team (and even only spotting like with jap DDs ie, until teammates cleared main threats around like enemy cruisers etc).

thats what’s matter.

and if u add others factors detailed in the article, it’s even more !

so, seems fair to say u earn approx 50% of bxp for dmg dealt by teammates on your spotting.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,432 posts
13,843 battles
24 minutes ago, Kilen2018 said:

so, seems fair to say u earn approx 50% of bxp for dmg dealt by teammates on your spotting.

Actually no, because this

If multiple ships are spotting, the reward is calculated individually and then divided by the number of ships providing vision.  So a destroyer that was spotting with the assistance of 4 other ships would receive 40% of the damage done as a reward divided by 5.

means that situations in which you earn the full 40% are going to be very rare.

And as soon as your target opens fire because, you know, you're permanently spotting him chances are spotting damage is completely negated as now your teammates will likely be able to see him without your help.

You don't do spotting for the rewards. You do it for the win.

• Cool 1

[ASEET]
Players
220 posts
6,693 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

Unless they changed it but the only change that I remember was that rewards for spotting, tanking, etc. was nerfed even further. No idea whether that was before or after the article was published though if I had to guess I would say after.

tywm for the link, I knew it was bad credits and xp, but I didn't expect it to be this bad.

And I agree, play for the win 100% and the rewards will come in due time.

[LORDS]
Players
4 posts
5,317 battles

Ah yes indeed, i missed that sentence (fast reading).

Still a good way to motivate DD players to do their jobs and go spot to do a GG.

unfortunatly, the purpose of winning is far of being enough motivating sometimes... few players have this kind of global perspective in my XP’s (mostly these 2days ! New update = waves of occasional players coming back checking news, etc. It’s not so obvious for many players I am afraid)

or even just realise efficient spotting alone can make the difference between gg and bg.

so, seems necessary to recall a DD can easily do gg (1200-1500bxp or maybe more or 1000-1200 on a defeat) just by focusing on spotting for the team, despite it’s not such obvious than dmg done.

but indeed it’s not simple as saying 50%bxp of dmg dealt from your spotting, agreed on that, it varies more often between 15 and 50% i suppose (depending also how many DDs per team or per flank etc, 50% is probably the top quote with DDs)

Thx for the link

++ :)

Players
104 posts
8,364 battles

That does not feel to be correct. In game Counter shows spotting damage and it does not go up if given vessel is spotted by you and person that is shooting at the target you both see. Is that inacurate counter or inacurate mechanic explanation in article or actual changes that have been done? Or confirmation bias?
It is not hard in DD to spot BB's even if they go down on my very eyes very often I get spotting damage before their first salvo. After that no more spotting damage points.

Or I am imagining things?

EDIT: This sentence I missed when Reading:
The attacking ship must not be able to detect the enemy target at all. (or no spotting for you)

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,980 posts
8,609 battles

Hi all,

7 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

I remember that good article as well... it is the best info we have...

Leo "Apollo11"

Sign in to follow this