Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Niekolaus

Add the Imperial German War Ensign to German WW1 era ships

20 comments in this topic

Players
13 posts
973 battles

Please, please, please make the ships more accurate, by adding the Imperial German War Ensign to German World War 1 era ships. Because the War Ensign of the Third Reich should NOT be mounted on any ships of the Imperial German Navy (1871-1918)

I am wondering why the ships of the Imperial German Navy from the World War 1 era (Emden, Dresden, Nassau, König, Kaiser etc.) are flying the War Ensign (look-a-like) of the Third Reich (1933-1945), and not the historic War Ensign of Imperial Germany (1871-1918), while the WW1 ships of the Imperial Russian Navy are'nt flying the Soviet Naval Jack. Why?

The Imperial German War Ensign (White with a black cross, an Eagle in the center and the Imperial German flag in the top corner) is very iconic for the WW1 era and should be used on all German WW1-era ships. Just like Russian ships from the WW1 era are flying the historical correct Russian Imperial Naval Jack and only ships from the Soviet-era gets the Soviet Naval Jack.

When so much effort is put into making these ships as historical correct as possible, Why can't the flags on German ships change like the flags on Russian/Soviet ships does? 

• Cool 4

Players
68 posts
5,652 battles

Personally I'd love to see the Imperial Ensign on the older ships, since they look really strange with the red flag. But I can also understand WGs reasoning for not doing it. The Imperial German War Flag has very​ strong Nazi connotations. You have to thank our lovely modern day nazis for that. Since all nazi flags are illegal in Germany, they instead just use the next best thing, which is Imperial flags. So you see those a lot at nazi gatherings and demonstrations.

Edited by Zombie_Wizard
  • Cool 1

[TTT]
Players
1,841 posts
7,390 battles

When asked before, WG has claimed that the imperial german flag would be banned in some countried(even though it isn't).

Players
13 posts
973 battles

Personally I'd love to see the Imperial Ensign on the older ships, since they look really strange with the red flag. But I can also understand WGs reasoning for not doing it. The Imperial German War Flag has very​ strong Nazi connotations. You have to thank our lovely modern day nazis for that. Since all nazi flags are illegal in Germany, they instead just use the next best thing, which is Imperial flags. So you see those a lot at nazi gatherings and demonstrations.

And the War Ensign of the Nazi THIRD REICH does not have strong Nazi connotations!

It is NOT forbidden to show the Imperial War Ensign in Germany or any where else, whereas the Nazi War Ensign of the Third Reich is banned in many countries today.

The Germans of WW1 were NOT Nazis and by having a Nazi Third Reich flag represent them during WW1 you make the Nazi-flag the normality of Germany.

If people or WG doesn't like pre-1933 German heraldy and emblems, because they are used by morons today. Then they should NOT have any German warships, tanks or warplanes in their games, because they can all be seen to have strong Nazi connotations, and replacing a NON-Nazi historical flag with a Nazi-look-a-like Reichskriegsflagge does not make that any better.

• Cool 5

[-I-N-]
[-I-N-]
Players
693 posts
12,427 battles

Not going to happen! While they were able to make up a fake replacement for the Kriegsmarine flag, they are obviously too lazy to do the same for the Imperial navy and Reichsmarine.

Q&A from RU dated Friday, 14 Oktober (Part 2 of 2)

Q: In the Russian branch we have the St Andrew flag, as well as several versions of Soviet navy flags, whereas the Imperial Japanese Navy sails under the merchant flag and the WWI Germans use a proxy flag of the Kriegsmarine. Do you plan the change the flags in the future?

A: We will not add the Rising Sun, Kriegsmarine, Reichsmarine, and the flag of the Imperial German Navy to the client, but you can install them using a mod. Those Japanese and German flags that we can put in the client are already in it.

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Quality Poster
1,666 posts
8,505 battles

When asked before, WG has claimed that the imperial german flag would be banned in some countried(even though it isn't).

But it is.

This comes up every once in a while, so here we go again:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafgesetzbuch_section_86a

Since the Nazi flags are outlawed, Neo-Nazis have used the flags of the German Kaiserreich instead, making those suspect as well (ironically, some of those flags appear to have been outlawed by the Nazis at the time).

WG doesn't want to risk their game being banned or becoming controversial, so doesn't touch this with a ten-foot pole.

Other games have taken similar measures, or have been forced to change their game in Germany at least.

This can be solved with a mod, IF the kind folks at WG were to give the ships or the Imperial German Navy a separate flag.

In the original game file, the flag would be identical to the one used on WW2 era ships, but a mod could replace it with the authentic flag.

This way WG can avoid any controversy, while with a simple mod we can have ships with authentic flags.

Currently I am mostly playing RN and there is NOTHING more satisfying than firing at German ships flying that nasty flag.. :izmena:

Not that I have anything against the Germans, mind you, don't want to offend anyone..

Edited by TheCinC

Players
13 posts
973 battles

If they are afraid of being banned because the in-game flags are sen as Nazi symbols, then they should replace the red Nazi-look-a-like flag in their games with the present day German flag Black-Red-Yellow, which dates back to 1848 and is viewed as a symbol of German democracy and freedom.

I know that this would not be historically correct, but neither is the current red Nazi-look-a-like flag in WoT, WoWP and WoWS.

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Quality Poster
1,666 posts
8,505 battles

If they are afraid of being banned because the in-game flags are sen as Nazi symbols, then they should replace the red Nazi-look-a-like flag in their games with the present day German flag Black-Red-Yellow, which dates back to 1848 and is viewed as a symbol of German democracy and freedom.

I know that this would not be historically correct, but neither is the current red Nazi-look-a-like flag in WoT, WoWP and WoWS.

Please, no.. :(

First of all, this would associate present day Germany with Nazi warships and secondly, it would look even more stupidly anachronistic.

I read a book by Douglas Reeman once, a highly recommended author by the way, that some idiot illustrator made a cover for, depicting a King George V class battleship with the West-German (at the time) flag.. EDIT: I just recalled, worst of all, it was about a World War One commerce raider, a German merchant ship with guns.. :fishpalm:

Edited by TheCinC

Players
68 posts
5,652 battles

And the War Ensign of the Nazi THIRD REICH does not have strong Nazi connotations!

It is NOT forbidden to show the Imperial War Ensign in Germany or any where else, whereas the Nazi War Ensign of the Third Reich is banned in many countries today.

The Germans of WW1 were NOT Nazis and by having a Nazi Third Reich flag represent them during WW1 you make the Nazi-flag the normality of Germany.

If people or WG doesn't like pre-1933 German heraldy and emblems, because they are used by morons today. Then they should NOT have any German warships, tanks or warplanes in their games, because they can all be seen to have strong Nazi connotations, and replacing a NON-Nazi historical flag with a Nazi-look-a-like Reichskriegsflagge does not make that any better.

​Of course the Third reich Ensign has nazi connotations. They are just, at least for me, different. In Germany, the nazi flags can be seen in documentaries, museums, school books and movies. They are firmly associated with the nazi regime itself. The Imperial German Flags can be seen at rallys where brainless thugs are giving the Hitler salute. I know very well, that the germans in WW1 weren't nazis, but sadly the Flag is tainted by idiots today.

​That said, I would have no problem at all with the Imperial German Ensign being in WoWs, as I said, I would even like to see it included. Context is important, and in the context of historical warships, there is nothing wrong with that flag.

But I can understand that WG wants to play it safe. 

Modder, Alpha Tester
1,608 posts
807 battles

This can be solved with a mod, IF the kind folks at WG were to give the ships or the Imperial German Navy a separate flag.

In the original game file, the flag would be identical to the one used on WW2 era ships, but a mod could replace it with the authentic flag.

This way WG can avoid any controversy, while with a simple mod we can have ships with authentic flags.

It already has been solved with a mod, I've made one, Adiya has made one and so has MasaruKondera. All three make the right ensign fly on the right ships.

• Cool 3

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Quality Poster
1,666 posts
8,505 battles

It already has been solved with a mod, I've made one, Adiya has made one and so has MasaruKondera. All three make the right ensign fly on the right ships.

Really?

Didn't know that..

I thought it was one flag for every ship.

Linky link link?

Does any one of them change the IJN flag too?

Beta Tester
1,649 posts
6,477 battles

Really?

Didn't know that..

Linky link link?

yes, and correctly dependent on the era.
  • Cool 1

Modder, Alpha Tester
1,608 posts
807 battles

Really?

Didn't know that..

Linky link link?

Well if you want to try mine click my signature, the flags mod is in the first spoiler, instructions are included in the download and I've tried to make them easy to follow.

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Quality Poster
1,666 posts
8,505 battles

Well if you want to try mine click my signature, the flags mod is in the first spoiler, instructions are included in the download and I've tried to make them easy to follow.

Done, and with your help managed to actually install it correctly, so this problem is more or less solved as far as I am concerned..

[-AWF-]
Players
1,196 posts
6,468 battles

But it is.

This comes up every once in a while, so here we go again:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafgesetzbuch_section_86a

Since the Nazi flags are outlawed, Neo-Nazis have used the flags of the German Kaiserreich instead, making those suspect as well (ironically, some of those flags appear to have been outlawed by the Nazis at the time).

WG doesn't want to risk their game being banned or becoming controversial, so doesn't touch this with a ten-foot pole.

Other games have taken similar measures, or have been forced to change their game in Germany at least.

Currently I am mostly playing RN and there is NOTHING more satisfying than firing at German ships flying that nasty flag.. :izmena:

Not that I have anything against the Germans, mind you, don't want to offend anyone..

All the while the only outlawed flag in some European countries is still in the game... No Russian, bias, I am sure....
  • Cool 1

Players
181 posts

All the while the only outlawed flag in some European countries is still in the game... No Russian, bias, I am sure....

Just imagine the backlash WG would receive in RU if they didn't put the soviet flag in the soviet ships. We in EU are of a more docile and obedient kind so of course they know they can get away with what has happened with the german flags and the soviet flag being outlawed in some former eastern block countries.

The moderation and ignoring the few people complaining did the rest.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
7,286 posts
9,504 battles

Nonsense.

There are no Nazi connotations with the Imperial German War ensign.

Neo-Nazi movements in the US also fly the Stars and Stripes all the time ... does that flag have Nazi connotations too?

The Westboro Baptist Church is using christian religion as a means to discriminate against homosexuals and others, does that make christian religion bad?

Neo-Nazi's use the Imperial German flag precisely because it is entirely legal. There is exactly ZERO cause for stigmatizing the flag for that. The flag is legal and no amount of brown filth hands can change that. And anyone who gets offended by the flag because it's being taken out of context from a hate movement should get their priorities straight ... maybe read a history book whilst they're at it to see exactly what they're whining about.

It's the people that misuse those symbols. But afaik WG doesn't have Neo-Nazi's paroling the death of Jews and whatnot in the game, so there is no need to cite any connotations as an argument against including a historically significant flag where it would belong to!

And it's not about WG playing it safe because, as I expoused, the flag is entirely legal. Anyone who'd get their knickers in a bunch over it can do squat.

Edited by Aotearas
  • Cool 3

Players
181 posts

Anyone who'd get their knickers in a bunch over it can do squat.

Funnily enough, those that have a problem with the german imperial flag probably do an insurmountable amount of squats daily.

Players
13 posts
973 battles

Super great mod.. Many thanks zFireWyvern :medal:

Sign in to follow this