You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
who_dares_wins

RN CLs: what to free xp?

18 comments in this topic

Players
344 posts
3,100 battles

I have just unlocked the Danae. Since it and the emerald are apparently awful, I've decided to use free exp. The problem is, I only have 10,000 FEXP. I liked the Caledon, but which ship should I spend free exp on?

Players
2,279 posts
6,432 battles

Well, if you liked the Caledon... Danae is more of the same, and Emerald as well. Still, i think Emerald is the one i would free exp. 

Supertest Coordinator
6,337 posts
4,335 battles

I would skip Emerald if you can't skip both.

Reasoning:

-Danae has no smoke but it's tier IV. Preferential MM and sometimes you'll be in ok tier 3-4 games

-Shorter grind

-Emerald has smoke but gets uptiered all the time

-Free xp the "end" of the pain. At least you are free xp-big to finish it not to avoid the start.

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,214 posts
6,518 battles

Out of the two I'd say emerald as well. Danae isn't too terrible since it only faces tier 5 max while the emerald goes against tier 7 regularly 

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles

With limited free XP you should prob. try if you can make Danae work (not that bad in my opinion). If you can't, free XP the modules and try then. General rule of thumb when freeXPing ships is to spend the XP on modules sine this helps with the worst part of grind. Of course that's assuming you're not dramatically low on cash (I personally pretty much swim in credits atm - the result of really liking some of my premiums/ARPs - so for me credits are a non-issue).

I can't speak about Emerald since I'm not there yet (I kinda use the opportunity to level not only brits but catch up a bit on my german BBs too - lots of cruisers and BBs that refuse to shoot on anything that's not a cruiser while happily exposing their broadsides to me make grinding the BBs much more enjoyable ;) )

Alpha Tester
120 posts
2,477 battles

Immediately from game's launch I saved to free xp the upgraded torps on Mutsuki, and since then I've mostly just been saving it up until I spent a small amount to skip Dresden and Kolberg on my way to the battleships. I had almost 130k exp I think, enough to skip over one T7 ship should I want to. Back when first details came out about British cruisers with HE and smoke I wanted to jump straight to Leander, and now after their revamp and launch I've done exactly that. It cost over half of my saved free exp but I see no reason to regret it. Leander itself suffered a lot before all the module upgrades. I'm probably spending most of the rest of my free exp on hulls of Fiji and Edinburgh to avoid the full Leander experience. T9 and T10 can wait a long time.

The skipped tiers and ships (even with HE) offered no gameplay that I wanted to go through (again). Emerald is arguably a player trainer for smokespamming in light cruiser but I already had plenty of DDs and Iwaki.

My other long term candidates for a big chunk of free exp would've been USN BB line all the way to T8 (probably never happening now, but I'm happy with grinding the German ones) or fully skipping some T9 ship (Ibuki?) just to save the credits if I don't wanna keep it after grind anyway. Basically, beyond convenient module unlocks here and there I was looking for a free exp dump to save credits or avoid ships that are redundant or wrong playstyle for me.

I don't know your resources and priorities, which is why I gave an example instead.

Quality Poster
1,688 posts
9,133 battles

I thought I'd played all ships at least once, turns out I skipped Danae and Emerald..

Can't say I miss them, but I'll give them a go just to be fair..

HMS Leander, HMS Fiji and HMS Belfast are my favourites for now..

True WW2 cruisers, with all kinds of neat tricks up their sleeves..

Think you've got me? HA! Take this smokescreen! (That I run out of cos I'm too fast.. trying to learn to slow down FIRST and THEN use smoke..)

Think you can hide from me? HA! Take my sonar/radar biatch! (Just caught a DD unawares, sitting still in smoke.. blammo!)

My first battles with HMS Fiji were all losses, despite doing up to 60 k dmg in some battles, which for me, while cruisering, is really quite excellent.

Just had a lucky streak, so ymmv..

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,789 posts
6,422 battles

I free xp'd 4 (most of) and 5 as Leander seemed (by reputation) to be the first ship that the fantasy world that WGV has inflicted upon the RN is supposed to work. Frustrating to play, very, but you begin to see the concept that was in their mind.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,870 posts
10,124 battles

The Emerald is the worst ship in the game.

It's the same guns, only with higher initial velocity. It has smoke, but what is also has is a citadel that  bigger than some DDs' entire length.
It has extremely poor armor, with some parts of the citadel (above the water of course) having as little as 13mm of armor.
In short, you get hit by a BB, 8/10 times it's a citpen, no matter the angle or caliber.
And because MM is awful for tier7s, you face Gneisenaus and other wonderful things that instantly pop you often. 

Skip as much of it as you can.
The Danae is at least playable in its tier bracket.

[GW_KR]
Players
201 posts
17,161 battles

Emerald

Get it behind you ASAP

Its not that bad of a ship, Karlsruhe was worse in the beginning, but now with the new MM, Emerald have to go against T7 ships. Regularly.

You want to know what an Atlanta can do to you ? You don't wanna know. Also you will meet such monstrosities as Kiev, Belfast, Bleskavica, Myoko and the worst of them all - Scharnhorst.

Difference with Leander is like night and day. Here you'll start to feel there is some power in RN after all.

Players
1,550 posts
5,911 battles

From the whole line, I think only t7-t8 are keepers.

.............and T10 Minotaur - that thing is god like "in the right hands and in the right battle". Had a couple in a Moskva game and our teams Minotaur was epic, 4 kills and he said 170k damage while the enemy one got 1 torp kill on a low health Zao and got deleted straight afterwards by me.

Players
74 posts
5,635 battles

Get to T6 HMS Leander if you can, she is highly situational but if you get it right... I just had a 98k damage game in her :)

Tier 7 Fiji, just got her, with the 12 point captain, no modules researched yet but all the upgrades added, 2nd game in her 78k damage, she is strong! (but fragile)

if you play them similar to an American or Russian DD you wil get on fine, just DONT GET SPOTTED! and if you do serpentine your way back out of detection.

Like the others, I free XP'd past T4 & T5 as I couldn't be bothered to grind them, they sound awful! (+ the meta with T5 MM... cringe!)

Its a shame as I vowed as a patriotic Brit to grind the entire RN CL line but meh, I can live with the shame of Free XP'ing past T4 & T5 to not have the pain of grinding HMS Emerald!

I will grind through to T10 RN CL tho, I want to play with the HMS Minotaur's guns!! :izmena:

Edited by Popeyes_Revenge

[KOOKS]
Modder, Beta Tester
1,393 posts
3,350 battles

After I'm done with the Danae I'm going to skip to tier 6, I regret even going for the tier 4. Low tier games are a wild lotto of frustration.