Sign in to follow this  
Solanine

Royal Navy T6: Leander

13 comments in this topic

[CR33D]
Community Contributor
252 posts
12,338 battles

This commentary ended up being more than just a commentary on the Leander, as I also end up ranting a fair bit about how unfinished the entire RN line feels, as well as bringing up the unfortunate bug that plagues the line.

• Cool 1

Players
356 posts
11,330 battles

I really like this boat i had my best damage output in it, doing 172,4K damage :)

Jxw8RKy.jpg

30K XP to Fiji and i can't wait to get her and the 50% more firepower as the Leander is already very strong.

Edited by Cpt_BrownBear
  • Cool 2

[TOAST]
Players
1,998 posts
25,653 battles

My very first game in the Leander, quite impressed but very scared :) 4 Kills (Most Stealkills) 3 Caps 2 Defence Caps, No premium account, I haven't bothered with premium since event calendar web page was shut down.

[EDIT] Stock Build.

Any advice on Captain Skills will be considered.

World of Warships 10.23.2016 - 12.04.56.03.png

World of Warships 10.23.2016 - 12.05.00.04.png

World of Warships 10.23.2016 - 12.05.08.05.png

World of Warships 10.23.2016 - 12.05.18.06.png

World of Warships 10.23.2016 - 12.08.05.07.png

Players
356 posts
11,330 battles

My very first game in the Leander, quite impressed but very scared :) 4 Kills (Most Stealkills) 3 Caps 2 Defence Caps, No premium account, I haven't bothered with premium since event calendar web page was shut down.

[EDIT] Stock Build.

Any advice on Captain Skills will be considered.

Hey iJoby, you recked me in my best damage output game in your New Mexico :D My 172,4K damage in the Leander is currently the seccond highest damage done in the Leander :medal:

Well regarding skills, then i use this setup on my Leander:

Consumables: Premium repair and Smokes, i don't use premium repair party as i find that you eat so many citadels that you can't repair the ship with it anyway.

Upgrades: Main armorment mod1, AA guns mod2, Damage control mod1 and Steering gears mode 2

1: Bisics of Survivability 

2: Expert Marksman

3: Superintended

4: Survivability expert

5: Concealment expert (to get)

The Leander is a very strong ship once you learn to understand it, i actually do better in RN CL's then i do in my other cruisers... maybe because they feel like destroyers with bigger guns.

Edited by Cpt_BrownBear
  • Cool 1

[OMNI]
Alpha Tester
36 posts
6,057 battles

Guess WG decided to pick inconsistency over annoyance seeing how annoying Flint is to fight against, but hey, only cruisers that could spam HE from smoke are Flint and Kutuzov, which is really not that big of an issue because how often do you actually encounter a Flint or a Kutuzov (other than T8, but it's still not that common in randoms). What they should have done is to give them HE for consistency (possibly with weaker fire chance relative to same caliber HE of other nations), normal AP mechanics with current autobounce and normalisation angles, keep the repair party because of their squishiness and make the smoke last for a shorter time, like IJN and VMF smokes. Problem solved, they wouldn't sit in smoke to no end and they would still have their own special trait. But just like in WoT - the more ships you add the harder it is to keep them different from each other.

• Cool 1

[TOAST]
Players
1,998 posts
25,653 battles

Guess WG decided to pick inconsistency over annoyance seeing how annoying Flint is to fight against, but hey, only cruisers that could spam HE from smoke are Flint and Kutuzov, which is really not that big of an issue because how often do you actually encounter a Flint or a Kutuzov (other than T8, but it's still not that common in randoms). What they should have done is to give them HE for consistency (possibly with weaker fire chance relative to same caliber HE of other nations), normal AP mechanics with current autobounce and normalisation angles, keep the repair party because of their squishiness and make the smoke last for a shorter time, like IJN and VMF smokes. Problem solved, they wouldn't sit in smoke to no end and they would still have their own special trait. But just like in WoT - the more ships you add the harder it is to keep them different from each other.

I kinda agree with adding HE, even if it was, say 7% chance of starting a fire, but I fear they may take some module away if they do.

Great point though, I have seen a few players make this point.

Edited by iJoby

Players
2,381 posts
15,503 battles

Great video Flamu, always straight to the point :great:

Although I think you've got the 6" AP scaling the wrong way round. It's terrible at low tier but workable the higher you go thanks to all or nothing armour schemes and large superstructures.

Tier 3-5 heavily armoured Dreadnoughts (and CAs) with no superstructure are much more scary than tier 10 Tomatoes if you only have small calibre guns. How about doing a training room video with a Minotaur vs angled Kaiser/König at 8-10km, then the same agasint a Iowa/Yamato. :yes_cap:

• Cool 1

Players
695 posts

Also Leander has a huge advantage for me over Fiji in form of concealment. 8.8 concealment vs 9.7 might not seem like much, but its a gamechanger in many situations (pretty much same as Belfast with or without CE captain). Not saying that Leander is better, but you kinda only mention this concealment as "pretty good", when in fact its 3rd best in game i believe for a cruiser (after Belfast and Minotaur - I dont count t1 gunboats as cruisers - they are just named that way for clarity purposes),  and compared to the "competition" (11.35 Cleveland, 11.1 Budyonny, 10.5 Aoba) looks even more impressive. 

• Cool 1

Players
320 posts
8,544 battles

Don't bother with the Leander or British CLs in general, guys. Flamu is correct about the smoke but understating the impact on players (far) below his skill level, sadly. And maybe it's just bad luck, but about 3/4 of my smoke screens only pop once, leaving me completely exposed and vulnerable to instant deletion. And yes, I pop at about 50% speed decelerating. When then smoke pops, it works ok for me with 50-70k dmg, but most of the time it's just overexposure and deletion.

Really, Shame on WG for releasing bugged content and then selling an overpowered premium. At the same time.

[OSC]
Players
1,991 posts
11,504 battles

Don't bother with the Leander or British CLs in general, guys. Flamu is correct about the smoke but understating the impact on players (far) below his skill level, sadly. And maybe it's just bad luck, but about 3/4 of my smoke screens only pop once, leaving me completely exposed and vulnerable to instant deletion. And yes, I pop at about 50% speed decelerating. When then smoke pops, it works ok for me with 50-70k dmg, but most of the time it's just overexposure and deletion.

Really, Shame on WG for releasing bugged content and then selling an overpowered premium. At the same time.

I am not speccialy good player, basicly i suck in cruisers, but in Leander after 28 games i have 70% winrate, 48.500 average dmg, 1700 average exp.. 4.0 k/dratio, 1.2 kill.........so what is happening??
Edited by 15JG52Adler

Players
62 posts
3,599 battles

I got to the tier 4 and didn't work with it very well so I skipped to the Leander and I'm having a blast...It kinda feels like a pre-nerf'd Cleveland when the gun ark was lower.

Beta Tester
41 posts
5,433 battles

From my experience the smoke bug really has only to do with your speed. At least I've always got the 2nd smoke puff when I'm going slow enough. I quite rarely miss the 2nd smoke puff, maybe once out of 20 smoke uses. And when that happen I already notice in advance that I have too much speed. I haven't paid attention to the actual speeds but 50% speed sounds like too much. Just try to slow down for a bit longer before popping your smoke next time :)

Although this of course doesn't justify WG screwing up the smoke in the first place... :fishpalm:

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

While I generally agree that being countered by good angling leaves some of your performance in the hands of others, you have to remember that:

- In randoms there are a lot of people who don't do that anyway, so you can still have lots of fun punishing people

- You have stealth to set up broadside attacks. This was already a viable style for IJN cruisers with an AP first shot, the RN could get 2-3 salvos before the angle neuters them

- The bounce angles are big enough that people who are tempted to unmask their rear guns at you probably are showing enough side to penetrate and you can punish that too

- If the enemy is angling against you, it means they aren't against something else that might be worse for their health, assuming you positioned yourself to force that choice upon them

Overall, I'm surprised you're so critical of this "counter" given you are skilled enough to work around it. If anything having access to reliable "no questions asked" DPS without a counter is what makes the game boring for both shooter and target. I would argue the game needs to be redesigned so other ships work more similarly to RN cruisers, not that RN cruisers should be re-worked to satisfy the HE spam which is not necessarily a healthy meta in the first place. Good game design should be about opportunity, play and counter-play (potential for big hits and also big misses alike, smart consumable use etc.), not inexorable accumulation of small advantages (reliable DPS/DoT).

Sign in to follow this