Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyBftw

Marblehead Discussion Thread and Poll

Make the Marblehead equal to Murmansk/OmahaB-C ?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel that 12.65km Firing Range is enough at T5?

• Yes its enough
    • No it needs 14.8km equal to Omaha B-C/Murmansk
  2. 2. Do you feel that its four 76.2mm AA guns doing 11dps at 3.5km is enough at T5?

• Yes its enough
    • No it needs its eight 76.2mm, its 3 twin 40mm Bofors and its twelve 20mm Oerlikons from the 1945 Historical Refit
  3. 3. Bonus Question: Did you know that the Marblehead's catapult fighter has triple the dps of its four 76.2mm AA guns?

• What? This can't be right!
    • Sadly its true.

5 comments in this topic

[ROLS]
Players
8 posts
3,772 battles

Hello and welcome to this discussion thread about the Tier 5 US Premium Light Cruiser the USS Marblehead.

Originally this ship was available only as a reward ship but eventually it made its way to the Premium Shop being sold for real money.

I have been playing this ship quite a lot since I won it in the Reddit Contest Thread some time ago and always felt it was missing something.

Went about did my research, compared it with the other Omaha and its Russian Premium variant the Murmansk and realized it is the most underpowered of all.

• First big thing someone would notice is the firing range. Or lack of firing range you could say.

At 12.65km it is seriously disadvantaged when facing ships up to Tier 7 with the current MM.

This range could definitely work at Tier 4 but at Tier 5 its a serious challenge.

• Second thing you would notice fighting at Tier 5 is the high chance to fight against Carriers where most CV captains tend to play at due to the mostly weak ship AA where your guns are so ineffective and underpowered you could just turn them off. Its a fact that the Marblehead has the weakest AA of all Tier 5 Cruisers.

If Tier 5 is the starting Tier where each Nation ships start getting their distinctive roles then the Marblehead does not follow the trend of US Cruisers having good AA.

In fact its comparable to a Tier 4 Cruiser in that aspect but set to face up to Tier 7 CVs.

The tier power has drifted away so much it has left many ships behind.

Ships many still love to play despite the unfavorable matchmaking.

So please if you want to play more Tier 5 ships like the Marblehead voice your concerns and urge WG to make them playable again.

edit - typos

Edited by JohnnyBftw

Players
1,433 posts
14,839 battles

Marblehead has ridiculously strong AP and HE shells, the weaknesses are needed for balance. Play her like a Pensacola and you will be fine. When a CV loves you, you need to hug teammates.

It's true that the current MM is brutal. But why would you tinker with 1 ship instead of fixing the MM?

[ROLS]
Players
8 posts
3,772 battles

Marblehead has ridiculously strong AP and HE shells, the weaknesses are needed for balance. Play her like a Pensacola and you will be fine. When a CV loves you, you need to hug teammates.

It's true that the current MM is brutal. But why would you tinker with 1 ship instead of fixing the MM?

If it wasn't for the lazy (aka rainbow) arcs I would agree.

With US shells its not easy to aim past 12km anyway due to the orbital arc and besides the Omaha B/C and Murmansk get 14.8km at the same Tier using exactly the same shells so I don't see any legit reason for the Marblehead to stay at a firing range of 12.65km.

I understand working with the team but playing a US Cruiser at Tier 5 should provide the team with some AA, not hug other ships for protection. The ship originally had a 1945 refit that considerably increased its AA defense and given this ship is a Premium it should have it.

Its not that there are many ships with good AA at Tier 5 either. Only the Texas and the Kirov can help.

Tinkering the Marblehead should be easy when there are other existing variants with similar configurations.

General characteristics (1945)
Armament:

from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Marblehead_(CL-12)

Edited by JohnnyBftw

[HF_30]
Players
1,318 posts

Nothing wrong with the ship, it's the matchmaking that needs to change. It's neither fun to fight ships two tiers above your own, nor below. Variety is increasingly less of an argument in favor of the current MM, less so with every new line of ships introduced. 

Sign in to follow this