TheCoolBird

Tips for playing JPN destroyers?

12 comments in this topic

Players
136 posts
2,095 battles

So after playing so many battles with destroyers, I'm getting no where. I die as soon as I get into battles and I feel unable to do my role as a destroyer. What are some good tips for playing the Japanese destroyers? So far I'm on the tier 3 destroyer, I've lost so many battles that I'm thinking of dropping destroyers as a whole. 

Players
378 posts
3,401 battles

Hmmmm, the wakatake from what i remember was kinda not great, the isokaze though is extremely good so try and power through till at least the isokaze before deciding to drop the line.

Now as for tips:

1. Know your detection range, don't stray inside your detection range, always know when a ships is near to you and be ready to book it in the opposite direction.

2. Other DD's WILL [edited]you up extremely fast so in general try and not get into gun fights.(exceptions to this exist but in general this is a good rule for low tier IJN DD's)

3. You are a torpedo boat, always be looking to get into a position to drop torps on enemies. With the fast reload on low tiers you can get away with botching your drops.

There's plenty more but i'm not sure how to put them into words. I can't remember if it was here or on the NA forum but there was a good guide about how to torpedo effectively. Beyond that try looking on youtube for low tier DD games, Notser and IChase, if i remember right have a few guides about aiming and how to play a ship class so they might be able to help

• Cool 1

Players
16 posts
2,491 battles

1. buy camo if you are over level 8. It helps.

2. plan your escape route. Watch out where the cruiser move and you move the opposite direction. You also launch your torps outside their range (maybe a few hundred meters) because the ships will sail into them.

3. you do not chase or attack from behind. You attack from from front so the enemy is sailing into your torps.

4. Smoke and smoke again. Do not slow down sometimes - just puff the smoke behind you, between your enemy and yourself. Then accelerate and run away till you are not detected. It is easy at low tier - the radar is your enemy at high tier because your smoke is quite often useless. But T3 - your smoke is excellent.

Wakatake's biggest weakness is the few number of torpedoes - you can't sink a full health BB with one salvo, so you have to be either careful, or suicidal.

Hope it helps!

• Cool 1

[VOC]
Players
169 posts
3,280 battles

So i hear a lot of IJN DD are no good, ok i agree.......but

I do like Minekaze and Kamikaze, torp or fast turning 

So after going around i hear that this FUJIN is a lot like those 2( so then let's buy) thinking maybe not the greatest but at least a lot of fun and sadley not a tier 6 (earn some flags with ranked!!) like i said fun

Well sorry to say forget it................NOT FUN AT ALL, thank god i did the under 20 E ship only.

it's like sailing a wooden bark that hasnt got good speed and turns bad naaah that's money gone

Although i hear shimikaze is a great ship

I do like USN DD beter esp "Clemson" and the Polish Blyskawyka

but sailing IJN DD's and you got money to spend .....KAMIKAZE (when it's on sale)

Players
847 posts

My rules for IJN DDs:

Most important IJN DD advise: Try to never get spotted. You drive stealthiest DDs in game and must use this.

Second: Use guns only when all advantages are on your side (escape route +smoke +cruiser support existent and/or enemy already on low health)

Third: Be patient. Game is not decided within first 5 Minutes. Be very careful if you want to cap after start of game.

If you die within the first 10 Minutes of the game you have played IJN DDs to aggressive and didn't follow the rules.

[VOC]
Players
169 posts
3,280 battles

Oh and then is it even worth playing those IJN DD's 

Finly get to the Fubuki and then set back to tier VI?

Players
847 posts

Oh and then is it even worth playing those IJN DD's 

Finly get to the Fubuki and then set back to tier VI?

Come on, stop spreading misinformations.

So yes, IJN DD tree will be changed and a Fubuki named DD will be on tier 6 ... someday ... soon ...

But do you know how Wargaming did handle this in the past or have you informed yourself about this? Did they ever in any WG game delete a players progress? So, if Fubuki will be shifted down 2 tiers the players will most likely get the new tier 8 ship.

[VOC]
Players
169 posts
3,280 battles

Noooo not misinformation just didn't know 

so just asking 

I Guess,

it's just

like.......................

659719169_780570.gif

Players
0 posts
115 battles

-Watch youtube videos on every ship on the line

-Notice from where they are torping. (from the side moving parallel)

-Never torp from back or when they are running away
-If you are moving toward the target and he is moving towards you pay attention to how much space you need to approach,torp,turn around and escape.
-Dont be afraid to torp outside of your torp range if he is approaching you.
-Review again and again and again this : http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/7456-an-illustrated-guide-to-hitting-things-apart-from-islands-with-your-torpedoes/

-Watch youtube videos on Nicholas,faragut,mahan and benson.Notice how they ambush.Extremely useful.
-Your role is to cap,spot,damage,protect with smokescreens.I smoke only division mates as 99% of the time randoms will just rush through my smoke.
-Unfortunatelly do not rely on your fleet.You have different priorities and more often than not,they will not protect / back you up when you need it.Learn to not need them.
-Learn how to perform in close fights with enemy dds.
I usually go bow on in a 10-15 degree angle till they torp.99% of the time they will torp on the indicator and at that angle is easy to turn out and avoid.Then you torp.
While they try to get a good angle for torps you keep using your gun(s).
-If you have no way to avoid an enemy low tier bb put your bow on and rush him.Same 10 degree angle.Once they shoot wiggle out.Close distance up to 2-3km ,open your side and torp them to hell.
Edit: This gem i just found

Do not be afraid to be aggresive.
Do not be afraid to use your guns when safe or when you need to distract someone.

It takes practice and time.
You have a shitload of things you need to know by heart but its more than doable and much rewarding.
Google and youtube are your friends.
Watch every video you can on every dd you can.Every ship can teach you something different.
Good luck and fair seas :D

Edited by passwordistooshort

Beta Tester
237 posts
4,330 battles

Some very good advice above. I will add or repeat the following:

-More than any class the mini map is your best friend, always keep an eye glued to it.

-Firing your guns increases your detection range for several seconds, sometimes it is worth holding fire to make good your escape

-When planning an attack always include an escape route.

-Don't rely too heavily on your aim marker, use it as a guide and try to put yourself in the target's position to guess what he will do and adjust your aim accordingly.

-Playing for caps rather than damage will massively increase your win rate and earn you massive amounts of XP, you are the best suited ship to cap and should do so wherever possible.

-Don't sit broadside on in smoke as it is a torp magnet. Try go bow or stern on (ish) moving back and forth can be useful so you already have some speed in case you need to leave in a hurry.

Regardless of how good you are you are going to screw up now and then, DDs can get utterly wrecked from a single mistake so don't take it too hard. IIRC I didn't like the Wakatake very much but the Isokaze at 4 is very good and the Minekaze at tier 5 is simply superb. The line drops off in raw power after that (I've only just got the tier 7 after 150ish Minekaze games) and you are forced to lean a more thoughtful tactical game of spotting and capping that is extremely rewarding even if the big number games happen less often.

Good luck, hope you stick with it

Players
2,233 posts
14,314 battles

... So far I'm on the tier 3 destroyer... 

The Wakatake is a good ship... not great but good.  It is also blessed with a +/- 1 Matchmaking.

It rewards being patient.