_Flyto_

Fubuki -> Kagero: Why bother?

24 comments in this topic

Players
587 posts
5,313 battles

I've been playing Fubuki for a while; most of the time I enjoy it.

With the discount on Japanese ships this weekend I could buy Kagero. I'm not sure whether to spend the credits before the upcoming IJN rejig, but even without that... I look at the specs and ask "what's the point"?

The F3 torps look fun, eventually. But otherwise, so far as I can see, you get:

• A few more hit points
  • Fewer torps, in a less flexible layout
  • A (very) slightly slower rudder shift
  • Slower turret turn

Why upgrade? Am I missing something? (I'm not interested in "to reach Shimakaze", partly because I probably can't afford to run a T10, and partly because the IJN line will get changed before I reach it anyway)

Players
378 posts
3,401 battles

From what i've heard, nothing. Like you said the fubuki is in general just the straight up better ship with there only really being like one tiny advantage the kagero has being 0.1km better detection and 2500 more health(B hull's) and the ability to load F3 torpedos. In all honesty i would just wait and see what the new tier 9 looks like rather than waste time with the kagero.

[TTTX]
Players
1,952 posts
6,550 battles

The torpedo reload booster as an option against smoke is something you are missing.

But, yes the Kagero doesnt compare favourably to the Fubuki, her predecessor, nevermind the Fletcher.  It is probably best to wait until the rework if you have no interest currently.

Players
19 posts
7,480 battles

You are right, the Kagero on paper is a straight up worse boat than the Fubuki and with the changes to the IJN DD tree there is no reason to get it.

For the life of me I don't know why but I really like the Kagero, especially with the 8KM torps. It is inflexible with such a short range and I have had some terrible games because of the 8KM but I have had some great games too.

I tend to like bad boats though. I liked the Tashkent and that was awful.

Players
132 posts

I enjoy fubuki the most, i have not cared about moving higher up in the techtree, - has become my go to ship. - i prefer to be the lowest tier in a game, (weird yes)

fubuki has a major advantage going into a tier 10 game..

- You will outdetect gearings, shimakaze & khabarovsk, with at 15captain, .. - i have specced mine with aft, stealth firing at 9,3 if i recall correctly.

played to its strength you can farm extremely high exp games.!

123.png

41588.png

Edited by plammbeach

Beta Tester
1,000 posts
10,799 battles

Kagero gets concealment module, and that together with a 15 point captain with concealment expert gets your concealment down to 5.4Km if memory serves me correctly. If you stay away from radar equipped ships and load the 8km torpedoes you can have fun. Its just like a Minikaze in playstyle.

It is also fun to shadow enemy destroyers, always staying just out of range so that your team can wreck them.

Players
587 posts
5,313 battles

Kagero gets concealment module, and that together with a 15 point captain with concealment expert gets your concealment down to 5.4Km if memory serves me correctly. If you stay away from radar equipped ships and load the 8km torpedoes you can have fun. Its just like a Minikaze in playstyle.

It is also fun to shadow enemy destroyers, always staying just out of range so that your team can wreck them.

Meh. Fubuki gets that module too, can get to 5.5km concealment. The F3 torps do seem like the only real plus to the Kagero, but that's at the end of a long grind for the precursor upgrades, and even then using them with a ship with a cruiser's speed and a battleship's turning circle seems risky... I bought the Kagero, and I tried it a couple of times, and now I shall leave it in port and see what the next few updates bring.
Edited by _Flyto_

Beta Tester
41 posts
5,433 battles

As others have mentioned: It's not like that's gonna matter for long, as Kagero replaces Fubuki at tier 8 :trollface:

On a more serious note, there's no real point. The F3 torps might seem nice but I don't really like them as much as the 10km ones. Sure, hitting with them will be easier. But the risks of getting into the firing range grow exponentially as there are so many counters for torps these days. We've got CA's with radar, lots of stuff with hydro. Planes often spot your torps too. Your hit % with F3 won't be noticeably better and you'll just risk your life more. The concealment in Kagero is really nice but it's not that much different from Fubuki in that regard.

I liked Fubuki a lot and kept it until they announced the new DD's coming in. Fubuki still is my favorite DD (aside from the sealclu-*cough* Kamikaze R). After the announcement I sold my Fubuki and for now am keeping the Kagero in port just waiting for the update so I can at least try if the Yuugumo is any better compared to current Kagero until I sell it as well.

Players
53 posts
10,120 battles

I've reached fubuki and has more than enough xp to Research Kagero, but I think I will wait. In ranked Battle I think it would be better to show up With a Benson,  specially in lower ranks...so I've changed focus on US dd's now and forget the IJN's for a time.

Players
587 posts
5,313 battles

I've been playing my Kagero recently simply because I want a free Takao, and it's my only tier 9... and after some games I still feel it's worse than Fubuki in nearly every way (although the extra hit points are worth something)

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,739 posts
1,779 battles

Somehow, I have totally a blast with the Kagero and the F3 torps, even though 8 km are rather short... I really have fun and success playing her, even more though than with Fubuki.

Playing with BFT, LS, SI, SE, CE

Edited by Nethraniel

Players
587 posts
5,313 battles

Somehow, I have totally a blast with the Kagero and the F3 torps, even though 8 km are rather short... I really have fun and success playing her, even more though than with Fubuki.

Ah, I can believe that. The 20km torps look as though they might be fun with the acceleration skill too (it should put them to something like 16km and 67 knots?). Sadly playing mostly T9 means I don't have the cash for the upgrades, so they'll probably rework the line before I get as far as the F3s ;-)

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,084 battles

Do

Not

Ever

Use

Long Range Torpedoes.

They are worthless due to detection ranges. 12km torps are most universal choice on Kagero imo. 

Players
587 posts
5,313 battles

They are worthless due to detection ranges.12km torps are most universal choice on Kagero imo. 

Kagero doesn't have any 12km torps.

Surely the acceleration skill reduces the detection time (which is more relevant than the range)?

(possibly not enough. I haven't tried using these torps, or done the maths on detection times for the different options)

Beta Tester
1,739 posts
1,779 battles

Kagero doesn't have any 12km torps.

Surely the acceleration skill reduces the detection time (which is more relevant than the range)?

(possibly not enough. I haven't tried using these torps, or done the maths on detection times for the different options)

He propably meant the 10km Torps.

TA reduces the reaction time for the target, however not enough to counter the massive spotting range of the long range torps.

Players
1,059 posts
7,781 battles

I've been playing my Kagero recently simply because I want a free Takao, and it's my only tier 9... and after some games I still feel it's worse than Fubuki in nearly every way (although the extra hit points are worth something)

Pretty much this. Kagero gets that 3M credit module slot, which can be used to make torps reload faster or to increase the gun range. I'm currently leaning towards the gun range, since that's all good invisifiring range, and maybe you could outrange the Fubuki with the help of the range module. I still need to play more of the Halloween event to afford it, though. Kagero is slightly stealthier than Fubuki, but that is fairly marginal difference of 0.1 km. It helps a bit, but is nothing gamechanging.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on what module(s) they went with their Kageros and why. I had rudder shift module on my Fubuki, but decided to go with acceleration module instead for Kagero, since it has worked so well with US DDs, I had it in Mahan and picked it for Benson as well. As you can see from my stats, I did love playing my Fubuki before Takao pushing me over the edge and finally "upgrading" to Kagero. Regarding the IJN DD changes and coming new branch, I'm playing my Kagero since he's T9 ship. It is important for me to have T9 IJN DD without additional credit cost for the Takao challenge. Thus, for the duration of the ARP Takao mission, it remains important to me that my Kagero remains at T9.

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,084 battles

He propably meant the 10km Torps.

TA reduces the reaction time for the target, however not enough to counter the massive spotting range of the long range torps.

Indeed I did :)

edit: top of my head

MA1 - AS1 - MA2(?) - DC1 - RS1 - CS1 ( ? -> not sure atm, need to check in game ).

Edited by mtm78

Beta Tester
1,739 posts
1,779 battles

I play the Kagero with
Main Armament Mod 1
Aiming System Mod 1

Torpedo Tubes Mod 3

Propulsion Mod 1

Propulsion Mod 2

Concealment Sys Mod 1

Captain with BFT, LS, SI, SE, CE

Use atm the F3 torps... works quite well

[NED]
Players
4,380 posts
12,077 battles

I got K for a while already and I started to really like it when I punched my captain to 15 and got concealment exp. I use the 8 torpedo's... They are really nasty although did have some akward screw ups, since I am SO used to the 10 km torps I'm using at Kagero's predecessors... Indeed for me 8-10 km range is enough. The longer range torps are too slow, spotted @ 10 lightyears away and too dangerous. I accidentally had a TK from a friendly laying @ 14.99 km and 99 cm from me.

I'm curious to the DD split.

Players
587 posts
5,313 battles

Pretty much this. Kagero gets that 3M credit module slot, which can be used to make torps reload faster or to increase the gun range. I'm currently leaning towards the gun range, since that's all good invisifiring range, and maybe you could outrange the Fubuki with the help of the range module. I still need to play more of the Halloween event to afford it, though. Kagero is slightly stealthier than Fubuki, but that is fairly marginal difference of 0.1 km. It helps a bit, but is nothing gamechanging.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on what module(s) they went with their Kageros and why. I had rudder shift module on my Fubuki, but decided to go with acceleration module instead for Kagero, since it has worked so well with US DDs, I had it in Mahan and picked it for Benson as well. As you can see from my stats, I did love playing my Fubuki before Takao pushing me over the edge and finally "upgrading" to Kagero. Regarding the IJN DD changes and coming new branch, I'm playing my Kagero since he's T9 ship. It is important for me to have T9 IJN DD without additional credit cost for the Takao challenge. Thus, for the duration of the ARP Takao mission, it remains important to me that my Kagero remains at T9.

I used the acceleration module on Fubuki, and have carried that through. Rudder shift is fast enough already, but in their unmodified state these ships are quite slow from a standing start, for instance if you get surprised in smoke.

I went for the torp reload module rather than gun range, because I found myself waiting on reload too much, but that's predicated on having AFT. I think it would also be reasonable to have the gun range module and use the captain skill points for extra HP instead. I'm not sure I'd put them both together - the extra extra range might be nice on rare occasions, but I doubt that it's worth it.

Beta Tester
1,739 posts
1,779 battles

Hm... works... 28 battles in Kagero this week, 75% WR

I love the fast and hard hitting F3 torps.

Players
1,873 posts
2,446 battles

I must say I have bought kagerou and started retraining my only ijn 15p cap for her for that takao mission....

well I like this boat, even considering the fact that I don't have like all my skills due to retraining, she handles [in randoms] quite good for me.

getting used to quadruple launchers takes some time though

actually I haven't noticed much differene in gameplay between how I played fubuki and how I play kagerou with only exception being quadruple launchers and.....

torp reload consumable :D

[PS. it could be my attitude oward whole idea based on forum talks and captain being in retraining :P]

Players
463 posts
8,379 battles

I am still getting used to the Kagero after my Fubuki, rudder shift and turning radius are (almost) the same but the Kagero feels like BB  when turning somehow.

And of course less torpedoes per minute. Kagero only has 2 launchers with 8 tubes vs 3 launchers with 9 tubes for the Fubuki and faster reload times to boot.