LeftRight92

Wyoming Max Range vs. Tier V Cruisers

16 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2 posts
134 battles

Probably the wrong section but this has happened to me a few times now.

How am I supposed to be useful in the Wyoming when all of the Tier V Cruisers can constantly outrange and outrun me? I've been in a few matches now, and so has a friend, and we both often get spotted at the start of the match and taken out by Tier V Cruisers, occasionally, before we can even close to range.

Am I the only one struggling to not absolutely detest this ship?

Players
233 posts
4,871 battles

Use cover. Go where the enemy has to go.

This.

Compared to the Myogi the Wyoming is a dream. Yes, you couldn't catch a cold in it but by using cover effectively & pre-aiming it's many, many guns it becomes a beast. Move forward from cover to cover taking shots of opportunity or wait behind an island & shotgun in the face whatever comes around the corner. I actually had one of my best ever games (7 kills) in this ship remember it very fondly.

[BRAMS]
Players
52 posts
9,972 battles

It's a brawler, start with podshots moving with the fleet and close in and push hard!!! it's potential is under it's max range anyway!!! wyomings are very powerfull, just be carefull with german battleships ;)

[HAERT]
Players
303 posts
7,261 battles

It's worth noting that Wyoming can be penned through the bow by pretty much everyone with guns larger than 6 inches, and her belt armour leaves a lot to be desired too. Angling her and using cover if your best bet. She's a beast, but definitely not as armoured tier-for-tier as everything after New York (which also suffers from a lack of armour relative to its intended role).

[SIEGE]
Players
68 posts
5,432 battles

learn the sublime art of "pillar-ing" using islands and cover in front of you, whilst you work over something with broadsides... just be wary of torps.

Players
587 posts
5,313 battles

It's worth noting, in case you have only just got your Wyoming, that the range is massively extended by the *hull* upgrade (yes, it's odd. No, it's not advertised). A fully upgraded Wyoming has a range of 14km, which isn't bad for T4. It's incredibly inaccurate at that range but, with the sheer number of guns that you have, the odds are good of hitting something ;-)

As for the speed... well, better get used to it if you're going to stick with US battleships - they don't get above 21 knots until T8. I never found it a huge problem, but some people do.

[H_FAN]
Players
1,943 posts
22,590 battles

Position is very important, for Wyoming is often part on larger maps like Fault line (avoid the valley line 9,10) and new dawn where the 20 kts if you drive it wrong really can make you feel useless.

The earlier maps on lower tiers like Big Race are smaller.

So do not at later stages (especially) be stuck long out in the corners, or far away from the important spots. Be very aware what ships you face. It is good advice as an earlier post stated to go somewhere were they must come to you (bases).

I also agree that Wyoming is a good learner, I play her a lot as on the lower tiers 4 and 5 against those cruisers she is quite effective. I also found myself performing better in Wyoming than her regular counterparts in tier 4 in IJN and KM.

I like the 6 turrets though mostly you fire with fewer. If you are hunted by DDs she can defend herself when buying time, I have killed several DDs, be wary of how you angle your ship to make use of your turrets against different ships.

Watch out for DDs and torpedo Craft easpecially the British cruisers which in good hands may be deadly, even if you may kill them they will deprive you from a lot of Health so try to be alert if they are going to make a suicide attack on you.

[RONIN]
Players
140 posts
6,293 battles

speed and range seems to be worse in us battleships than others.  new york vs kongo:  15 vs 21 km range..... 

Players
16 posts
1,132 battles

speed and range seems to be worse in us battleships than others

Starting New York you can make it less severe in range department with "Artillery Plotting Room Modification 1" upgrade

[CATS]
Players
14,751 posts
10,885 battles

speed and range seems to be worse in us battleships than others.  new york vs kongo:  15 vs 21 km range..... 

Range does not mean much as you do not hit much at that range. The only important thing is that you can shoot slightly further than you are spotted.

Players
587 posts
5,313 battles

NY to Colorado need the range upgrade. With it, NY can shoot nearly 19km, which is more than enough at T5. As for Kongo, you have great range, but try actually hitting anything that far away...

[HF_30]
Players
1,320 posts

There is max range and then there is effective range. 

Probably the wrong section but this has happened to me a few times now.

How am I supposed to be useful in the Wyoming when all of the Tier V Cruisers can constantly outrange and outrun me? I've been in a few matches now, and so has a friend, and we both often get spotted at the start of the match and taken out by Tier V Cruisers, occasionally, before we can even close to range.

Am I the only one struggling to not absolutely detest this ship?

As others have already pointed out: use terrain to disengage.Also don't chase what you can't catch. But I suspect that's not the real problem here. Are you sure your repair strategy is up to spec? Cruiser at range shoot HE at BBs, you can heal 100% of that damage, so never repair a single fire. Two is generally considered the magic number. Hm... it says Beta Tester under your nick, am I making a fool out of myself here? But this is the newcomer section, so if not for you, it will not hurt to point it out for others who might read. Frankly, I don't see how a single cruiser can sink a BB at max range in reasonable time, if you follow that guideline. Not at the start of a battle, when you must have equal tiered cruisers on your team who can take care of it. I mean... just spam F7 and F3 on him until somebody makes himself a more urgent problem to that cruiser and that's that. Even at the speed of the Wyoming, how does long does it take to run for the next island? Two minutes max? You should be able to buy that time. Anyway, you shouldn't struggle that much in the Wyoming, I'd say she's actually the strongest BB on her tier. 

[BRAMS]
Players
52 posts
9,972 battles

Allthough most japanese battleships have more range until tier 8 they are anything but accurate at those ranges. with the Kongo & Fuso being a bit seperate in that but overal their best range to score citadels and acurate fire is more around 13 / 17 Km.

Wich brings you within range of most US battleships.

What you will see if you play both nations BB line is that the japanese hit hard when they hit at range mostly but not always on 1 volley!!

Were the US BB lines can hit pretty acurate and with good angles at max range scoring acurate hits and citadels.

I found the US battleships fun to play as they delete ships pretty effective regardless of the class they engage!

Some  say hiding behind islands can be a thing the wyoming is anything but squishy!

Good communication looking what the fleet is doing and adapt to it before you go into the fires of hell. the Wyoming is a formidable brawler.

It would be better for some of these BB captain to stop running to the edge of the map like a French sissy and actually learn to brawl. more action!!! more fun!!! more exciting!!! and more kills :izmena::izmena::izmena: