Mik1984

UK cruiser penetration mechanics

4 comments in this topic

[PMW]
[PMW]
Players
301 posts
12,242 battles

I've read that these cruisers have unique penetration angles and mechanics, but I can't find any specific resource where I can find the details.

I know they have shorter fuse and higher resistance to autobounce, but I don't know anything more.

Players
243 posts
2,317 battles

The shorter fuse means that the UK cruisers only over pen armour of less than 12mm, rather than the regular 25mm. As for the autobounce angles, UK CL shells will only start to ricochet at angles of 60 degrees or more, rather than the usual cruiser angle of 45( I think). From there the chance of a ricochet increases steadily until 65 (or 75, can't remember) degrees, after which all shells autobounce. Regular cruisers autobounce from 60 degrees onwards. USN cruisers with 203mm guns share the better ricochet angles, but not the better fuses.

Edit: They also deal 1/2 damage on non citadel hits that penetrate, rather than the normal 1/6.

Link to the fuse buff: https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2016/09/29/wows-supertest-leaked-updated-stats-of-minotaur/

[BLOBS]
Community Contributor
921 posts
3,618 battles

Essentially that's all there is to it. The fuse times are quite significantly different (0.005 compared to regular 0.025). It really reduces the chance of over-pens as the shell detonates a lot quicker than regular 6" shells. Can't actually find a source for the exact auto-bounce angles, so someone will have to add that if they know it.

Other than that, the only real significant difference is their 'detonator threshold' aka. the armour thickness need to arm the shell. Standard 6" shells require 25mm of armour in order to arm the shell, whereas the Brits only need 12mm. As a result, their AP has a very good performance against DD's, as the shell is almost guaranteed to arm, and the short fuse time makes it quite likely to detonate inside the ship for full pen damage.

Weekend Tester
541 posts
4,965 battles

Whatever the mechanic is supposed to be, I don't think its working. Having to hit a lower tier DD up to 20x in the beam in order to sink it means the ammunition is seriously ineffective....

Sign in to follow this