You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Kameho

Remove loss of Star for players earning 900+ EXP (RANKED)

Grant Immunity to the hard workers?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Not loosing star when your exp is 900 or more despite loosing in ranked?

16 comments in this topic

Players
119 posts
1,275 battles

To promote better play amongs people in ranked, and to make the grind a much much more bearable job when playing ranked battles.

By removing the loss of star to players on the loosing team if they have 900 exp or more.

It takes quite abit of effort to earn 900 exp or more, but for those who make it, clearly shows they contributed quite fair bit for their team. despite the loss.

Instead of just giving the immunity to the number 1 on the list (wich can quite often be at random if 2 players have exact same amount of exp)

Been in 3 games already, where i lost, but earned exactly the same amount of exp with the one at top of the list.

still lost a star just because i was positioned second on the list (maybe alphabetical?)

One battle I even had 4 ships sunk, while the one at the top had 1 ship.
(not indicating he did bad, he probartly did more damage than me, but i cant see that in the battle summary)

Even so, it really sucks having lost a star when you see someone else with exact same of exp take it from you.

(It dosnt really need to be 900 exp exactly, the amount of exp can be discussed ofcourse, but 900 is my estimated minimum, most people usually lands on around 600-700exp)

Players
119 posts
1,275 battles

I'd prefer better rewards for carrying a winning team. If you lose, it should cost you.

this would be completely true, if the fact that ranked battles is all about RNG, MM and has nothing to do with skill sadly.

Players
390 posts
6,959 battles

I'd prefer better rewards for carrying a winning team. If you lose, it should cost you.

I like the idea, i think that, as the best of the losing team, the beat of the winning team should be awarded too, a simple additional star could make the difference...

[PRAVD]
Community Contributor
1,828 posts
7,180 battles

They should instead remove this "#1 XP on team does not lose a star" thing, because that is what's propelling people who have no idea about what they're doing in ranked to those higher ranks.

Ranked should be about trying your hardest to win, but when you have "#1 XP does not lose a star", then there's a different objective that does not fully incentivize you to try to win.

Edited by Aerroon
  • Cool 2

Players
119 posts
1,275 battles

They should instead remove this "#1 XP on team does not lose a star" thing, because that is what's propelling people who have no idea about what they're doing in ranked to those higher ranks.

Ranked should be about trying your hardest to win, but when you have "#1 XP does not lose a star", then there's a different objective that does not fully incentivize you to try to win.

theres only one way to earn exp in this game thou.

and thats contributing to the team, either by doing damage, or capping objectives.

and thats whats needed atm. Kills dosnt grant you to much exp, once people realise this, they will start contributing by actually doing damage rather than waiting for the perfect oppertunity to land a finishing blow.

Not to mention the fact people will focus more on objectives rather than doing nothing

Players
277 posts
11,549 battles

My solution for that problem would be that anyone who receives 'Plays poorly' reports from at least three team mates is not eligible to keep their star. It would be nice to see those reports start to mean something.

Players
918 posts
8,318 battles

Not happening, they want Ranked to be long grind, otherwise they would have banned stock ships from ranked already.

Alpha Tester
244 posts
10,652 battles

theres only one way to earn exp in this game thou.

and thats contributing to the team, either by doing damage, or capping objectives.

and thats whats needed atm. Kills dosnt grant you to much exp, once people realise this, they will start contributing by actually doing damage rather than waiting for the perfect oppertunity to land a finishing blow.

Not to mention the fact people will focus more on objectives rather than doing nothing

If you play your Benson to do as much dmg as possible (i see you're using DD's mostly), you are probably doing it wrong way and your contribution will be bigger on paper, but lamer in reality. You will do more damage, but your role will be less important. You might rush to cap, because it will give you more exp, but often that rush will kill you. You won't think enough what would the best for your team, you will think how to do more damage and earn more exp. And you'll probably spamm some BB, which is usually irrelevant.

With any ship, you can adjust your play to do more dmg and it will usually be wrong way. Thinking while playing, every game, is more important, then doing the same 'more dmg, more exp' routine.

• Cool 2

Players
17 posts
6,550 battles

Aerroon is spot on. They should remove the 'come top don't lose a star'. It's heavily biased towards dds, plus we all know that xp multipliers are different for ships of the same class. Baltimore being a good example.

[10GO]
Beta Tester
132 posts
13,822 battles

This mechanic was implemented to somewhat lessen the burden for good players. What it instead has done is that smart players will always aim to be #1 on their team so they won't lose anything which in turn can lead to quite selfish gameplay.

On the other hand ranked is less about teamplay (at least until you get to certain ranks) so an idea quite similar to OP's has been in my head for some time now:

Every player that gets 1k+ Base XP gets a star regardless of winning or losing, everyone below 1k loses a star even if he was on the winning team. The idea here is to stabilize the ranking much earlier and disallow players to be carried by their team while in turn rewarding individuals much more.

The downside of course is that in this system everybody would manly fight for their own benefit. Even more than they do now. However at the end of the day reaching 1k XP on the winning team is much easier than on the losing.

Edited by Echelon2k

Players
119 posts
1,275 battles

If you play your Benson to do as much dmg as possible (i see you're using DD's mostly), you are probably doing it wrong way and your contribution will be bigger on paper, but lamer in reality. You will do more damage, but your role will be less important. You might rush to cap, because it will give you more exp, but often that rush will kill you. You won't think enough what would the best for your team, you will think how to do more damage and earn more exp. And you'll probably spamm some BB, which is usually irrelevant.

With any ship, you can adjust your play to do more dmg and it will usually be wrong way. Thinking while playing, every game, is more important, then doing the same 'more dmg, more exp' routine.

yes i do use my benson mostly.

But i mainly use it to flush out DD's and go DD hunting.

Wich leads to doing alot of damage, as most DD's especially Fubuki dosnt shoot back and instead focuses solely on torping and hiding in smoke.

And yes I also do the Rush the objective noone else is going for.

But I dont cap if i see enemie fleet heading towards it. i might hold the cap preventing them from capping if theres cover for it, or i might smoke and stall some time.

But thats mostly how i play my benson.

more of a harass and skirmish than pure DPS.

However if im critically low on HP.

I always try to find a CV or BB that i can ambush and throw all my torps doing max amount of damage before death.

As this usually puts me on top of the team list to prevent me loosing a star.

as running around with less than 3% hp, wont allow me to contribute anything in a loosing game. and the times i go spotting role, the reward is just to small to prevent me loosing a star.

But regardless of this, current issue is that people dont focus at any objectives at all. They play rank as if they were Random Battles with fewer ships.

Very few ranked battles i paritcipate has any teamwork. (I give my team smoke cover, they just rush through it instead of staying behind / inside it)

I spot torps from a far distance, BB's do nothing to change course, despite warnings from me and minimap ping.

Go complete scout mode, designating target, everyone to busy firing at the wounded BB's thats just about to go behind a island only to repair all the damage it just took. instead of shooting at a ship thats vournarable, allowing you to dish citadelles severly damaging it.

and my main issue is that ive been in to many battles where my team had advantage, but still lost because noone reclaimed objective A and B, instead chasing after the enemies last CV thats kiting them letting the point tick untill victory.

(randoms would rather get a kill and gamble a loss, than giving up the chase and quickly reclaim objectives preventing the enemie winning by point.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,784 posts
10,685 battles

No, no, that's an awful idea.

I mean, I admit I was a big fan when I originally saw the "don't lose a star when on top" mechanic introduced last season. But my enthusiasm for that mechanic died quickly. So many people were preoccupied with getting XP even if that compromised victory chances. And now you want to introduce even more incentive to care about XP!?

The "best loser doesn't lose" rule was a nice experiment - but one that failed and should be abandoned, not expanded upon. I'm not a fan of free stars for advancing a rank (too random - if you win-lose-los-win-lose-lose-win-lose-lose-win you can get anywhere from -2 to +2 stars depending on where you were when the series started) but that was actually better. What would be better still is a less random approach - perhaps every fourth or fifth defeat could be "forgiven" or something like that. Either way, ranked should be restored to their original philosophy where they were all about winning and the only thing that mattered for rank progression was making sure your team wins, NOT getting XP as some backup plan to secure your gains.

Edited by eliastion

[NWP]
Players
1,772 posts
12,163 battles

With Aerroon on this, besides 900 xp in a lost game isn't all that special. Now if you would come up with 1200xp or something that proves you did something.

Still doesn't prove you did anything usefull for the team.