Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DexterManley

Russians en-route to the Med.

18 comments in this topic

[HAERT]
Beta Tester
674 posts
4,876 battles

I see the smoke generators on the Admiral Kuznetsov are working fine!! :trollface:

Seriously, I'd be having a word with their Chief Engineer :smart_fish:

• Cool 2

[__]
Beta Tester
741 posts
1,694 battles

wargamign will be taking note... this will be the Soviet Tier 10 carrier!

• Cool 1

[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,946 posts
3,862 battles

e6df64cb920630ad1f11f0dcd29a6af434a45721

Ship in the background looks to be a Udaloy class destroyer.

Players
405 posts
17,603 battles

I see the smoke generators on the Admiral Kuznetsov are working fine!! :trollface:

Seriously, I'd be having a word with their Chief Engineer :smart_fish:

BBC  news said they were being  led  by an  ocean going tug

[CAPT]
Players
269 posts
8,937 battles

Looking at her smoke, she is moving very slowly (or there is a gale). As a U.S. Navy Vet, I know that the engineering officer of a U.S. ship making that much smoke in such a public area would be canned.

[HAERT]
Beta Tester
674 posts
4,876 battles

e6df64cb920630ad1f11f0dcd29a6af434a45721

Ship in the background looks to be a Udaloy class destroyer.

The ship in the background looks to me more like a 'target', as do the others. :red_button:  (My avatar is there for a reason!)

Looking at her smoke, she is moving very slowly (or there is a gale). As a U.S. Navy Vet, I know that the engineering officer of a U.S. ship making that much smoke in such a public area would be canned.

As a retired Royal Navy engineer (again, see my avatar for a clue) I concur, hence my post earlier. :B

Players
3 posts
2,306 battles

I know folks are joking about these few Russian ships, but one has to wonder why Putin has sent an obsolete ship on such a mission. The only conclusion I can see is that he is not worried if she is lost, so with troops gathering in eastern europe maybe folks should consider that Putin sees conflict on the horizon.

[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,946 posts
3,862 battles

I know folks are joking about these few Russian ships, but one has to wonder why Putin has sent an obsolete ship on such a mission. The only conclusion I can see is that he is not worried if she is lost, so with troops gathering in eastern europe maybe folks should consider that Putin sees conflict on the horizon.

Kuznetsov is Russia's only aircraft carrier. The most probable reason for the deployment has to do with the Syria conflict. Perhaps it will get redeployed to the Black Sea after that as Russian relations with Ukraine and Georgia are still tense to say the least. I highly doubt Russia will make aggresive moves against NATO/EU members or escalate the Donbass conflict at this point however.

Beta Tester
932 posts
8,967 battles

Obsolete ships?  Well the hulls may be old, engines worn out, but never under estimate older tech. Remember those antiques that wrecked the Italian fleet at Taranto, and the Bismarck's rudder. Remember the Belgrano sunk by two MKVIII torpedoes of WW2 vintage, or the Blackburn Buccaneer, first operated in 1963, but still used in the gulf war, and Centurion AVRE's. I remember when a Soviet pilot defected to Japan in his Mig25, and the press laughed at it for its avionics being valve technology, until it was pointed out how robust they were, and not subject to temperature problems or EM Pulses, nevermind its huge power output.

Old is not necessarily obsolete.

Players
3,041 posts
3,645 battles

Meh. RN ships are fueled by queens farts?

The queen does not fart

Obsolete ships?  Well the hulls may be old, engines worn out, but never under estimate older tech. Remember those antiques that wrecked the Italian fleet at Taranto, and the Bismarck's rudder. Remember the Belgrano sunk by two MKVIII torpedoes of WW2 vintage, or the Blackburn Buccaneer, first operated in 1963, but still used in the gulf war, and Centurion AVRE's. I remember when a Soviet pilot defected to Japan in his Mig25, and the press laughed at it for its avionics being valve technology, until it was pointed out how robust they were, and not subject to temperature problems or EM Pulses, nevermind its huge power output.

Old is not necessarily obsolete.

The Swordfish was not old. it was in fact designed in 1936. the reason for it being... for lack of a better term "crap" is because it was not expected to go fast. it wasnt built as a torpedo bomber, it was built as a search and rescue aircraft

Beta Tester
932 posts
8,967 battles

The Swordfish was not old. it was in fact designed in 1936. the reason for it being... for lack of a better term "crap" is because it was not expected to go fast. it wasnt built as a torpedo bomber, it was built as a search and rescue aircraft

Designed as TSR1 in 1933, Torpedo, spotter and recce. (TSR)  Built as a torpedo plane from its design specification. Never ever, ever built or designed as a search and rescue. Perhaps you are confusing it with the Walrus or the Catalina?

Players
3,041 posts
3,645 battles

Designed as TSR1 in 1933, Torpedo, spotter and recce. (TSR)  Built as a torpedo plane from its design specification. Never ever, ever built or designed as a search and rescue. Perhaps you are confusing it with the Walrus or the Catalina?

maybe I got iffy sources.

this info came from "Hood and Bismarck" a book that documents the creation of a documentary about the two dreadnoughts

Sign in to follow this