Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
HidesHisFace

Friendly damage system needs further rework

12 comments in this topic

Players
153 posts
1,935 battles

We had problems with secondaries causing friendly fire incidents, but there is still one problem remaining.

Friendly damage needs further rework. When it comes to FIRE damage. You know, fire, as in flames, not gunshots.

It is the second time I got pink because of this BS, not because of my fault. I could not do anything about it.

Basically, situation looks like this: I was firing HE at enemy Ibuki from my Mogami, completely zoomed in. And suddenly I get the message that I caused friendly damage.

Turns out that "friendly" BB rammed me and got under fire of my turrets, while I could not see him. That itself would not be a problem - I immediately ceased fire.

What is the problem, is the burning damage - the guy didn't put fire out out of spite I guess and he took a good couple of thousands of fire damage that way - I turned pink and died due to self damage. 

So, even though I was not in the wrong and I ceased fire as soon as I realised there is a massive friendly BB in the way, I still got punished and died, even though I could not do ANYTHING about it. 

Damage over time should not be inflicted by friendly ships, period.

Thing is - these damage types in case of accidental fire do not depend on the user - so punishing for this is pointless. Accidental torps or hits happen - but as soon as you cease fire, that should be it. Fires and flooding are random factors and punish players literally for having a bad luck with RNG at this point. This is bloody unfair, especially that you can't force friendly ship to put fire out - so he may just keep the fire out of sheer spite, ticking you friendly fire treshhold. That way, you may go pink because of a single accidental hit. That is an exploitable flaw. You are supposed to go pink for deliberate, continuous friendly fire, not for accidental crappy RNG.

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,504 posts

I don't often agree with Pete, but in this case I do. Your shot, your responsibility.

Pay attention to your surroundings. Always staying fully zoomed in even while your guns are reloading is what has caused those problems. The BB probably did the same thing as you. Or he was forced to move into your position because he had to evade. Yes... even BBs need to evade incoming fire. And he might not have extinguished the fire immediatly because fire damage can be repaired and a single fire is no immediate thread to a BB. Or it might still have been on cooldown. You can't know it, so assuming that the player did it to hurt you (I wouldn't blame the player for it) is just another sign that you don't want to take responsibility for your shot.

If you want to avoid those situations in the future, learn to predict your teammates. Avoid staying fully zoomed in. The right mouse button is your friend. It only takes a second or two to look around you between shots, less time then your guns need to reload, and with the better situational awareness it gives you, you have the potential to become a better performing teammate yourself. It also helps to regularly look at the minimap to see if there are friendlies dangerously close. If you do that you can check on them directly while you do a situation check.

Players
153 posts
1,935 battles

I don't often agree with Pete, but in this case I do. Your shot, your responsibility.

Pay attention to your surroundings. Always staying fully zoomed in even while your guns are reloading is what has caused those problems. The BB probably did the same thing as you. Or he was forced to move into your position because he had to evade. Yes... even BBs need to evade incoming fire. And he might not have extinguished the fire immediatly because fire damage can be repaired and a single fire is no immediate thread to a BB. Or it might still have been on cooldown. You can't know it, so assuming that the player did it to hurt you (I wouldn't blame the player for it) is just another sign that you don't want to take responsibility for your shot.

If you want to avoid those situations in the future, learn to predict your teammates. Avoid staying fully zoomed in. The right mouse button is your friend. It only takes a second or two to look around you between shots, less time then your guns need to reload, and with the better situational awareness it gives you, you have the potential to become a better performing teammate yourself. It also helps to regularly look at the minimap to see if there are friendlies dangerously close. If you do that you can check on them directly while you do a situation check.

I know how to predict team mates, as I usually do not deal any friendly fire at all. Actually, I have accidentally torped only one ship, some time at tier 3 - long time ago.

The guy in question quite deliberately rammed me because apparently everybody coming from your right should go first - like on a bloody traffic, like on the road. He pointed this out on chat that "you should let ships going from the right first". He didn't notice the fact that I was practically stationary at the time (I was moving at about quarter of my speed, to give myself a longer window against Ibuki I was shooting at). So, given that the guy was aware of my position and still rammed me, I conclude that he also probably didn't put fire I caused by bloody accident out.

Either way - that is besides the point. I'm here not to argue about my bloody personal experience or whether I messed up or not.

The thing is - the fire damage caused by ally is pure RNG and can get you pink because of a single accidental hit - it does not punish you for acting on purpose but for bad RNG - that is a flaw in the system. 

Generally speaking - you normally get pink if you cause massive damage (typically due to reckless torpedo launch or deliberately citadelling your ally) on friendly ship or if you hit your ally multiple times in short period of time (that is usually your regular teamkiller).

Now the fire damage breaks this system - each tick counts as separate hit, which pumps your "teamkiller threshhold" insanely quickly but the thing is - at this point a "culprit" no longer does anything, the whole fire is just bloody RNG - it punishes players for stuff they have no real influence on - similarly to problem caused by secondaries' friendly fire. At the same time, an unlucky friendly fire with AP is going to cost you only some xp and credits. 

When you get pink due to burning ally - you loose health insanely quickly while your ally still burns.

This is a broken mechanic - it should either simply place damage over time on player who caused it immediately (that way, players setting fires on others on purpose would not only fail to ruin other's day but also would be forced to use their damage control - should they keep shooting, they would just burn themselves), or remove ability to deal damage over time to allies completely - that would leave RNG largely out of equation.

Similar point should apply to flooding damage.

[CATS]
Players
14,659 posts
10,873 battles

You can get teamkiller status for one point of damage and that can be a result of one stray shell (RNG).

If you take the risk, you must be ready for the punishment.

[NED]
Players
4,193 posts
11,680 battles

Don't waste energy about this OP. There's no point in arguing about this issue I found out. The current system is annoying the hell out of me. It helps the actual TK trolls and overpunishes the stupid but honost mistakes. I got pink last week. Stupidly friendly torped a BB. He flooded out and sank. TK, pink. Not whining about that. But I took the damage as well and sunk too. So I got 2 TK's for 1 mistake. Though I cannot phanthom any legal system in which someone is punished double for 1 fact I am still not whining. I got a 16 battle pinkpenalty. Took me 18 matches whithout even doing a bumb scratch to get rid of it again. But like they so aloquently put it: it's perfect. So it hightens the fun... Curious though how'd they react if the same happens to them. I cannot believe there is anyone who has never accidentally shot a shipscraper when in TV...

Edited by Ferry_25

[S0F]
Beta Tester
163 posts
6,395 battles

I was just away to post something about this pink status I rammed an Omaha in my gneiss, I just couldn't turn fast enough, I did 115 damage to him and he sank as he was low hps and now I am pink, all I could think was you cannot be serious!

[CATS]
Players
14,659 posts
10,873 battles

It is known for months now that you get pink status for that.

Be more careful near teammates close to sinking.

Players
1,186 posts
4,658 battles

It is known for months now that you get pink status for that.

Be more careful near teammates close to sinking.

I don't really see the point of posting if you're just going to state the obvious. This isn't about being aware of how the mechanics work, it's discussing whether they are working well in their current state.

Players
153 posts
1,935 battles

I don't really see the point of posting if you're just going to state the obvious. This isn't about being aware of how the mechanics work, it's discussing whether they are working well in their current state.

Exactly,

Speaking your mind, while it has low chance of doing anything in the end, still has SOME chance, no matter how low a probability.

Staying silent has zero chance of changing anything.

[CATS]
Players
14,659 posts
10,873 battles

Some people act a bit surprised about the outcome...

Sign in to follow this