Sign in to follow this  
Drunken_Jedi

Mid Tier RN CL, Rule Britannia!

10 comments in this topic

Players
849 posts
2,954 battles

Ok, so I finally got the Leander unlocked, after much sweat, tears, some free XP and lots of cursing (generally aimed at Wargaming on their dubious design choices for tiers II-V RN CL's) I finally unlocked the Leander. 

What a massive step up in ability. The Emerald isn't too dissimilar however the MM for the Tier V bracket is brutal at the moment forever matching you with teams full of Tier VII ships which will eat you alive. While I haven't had massive damage scores (mainly due to the T8 games I keep getting) I'm finding this ship much more capable than her predecessors. So, a word of encouragement for you poor souls grinding though the Danae and below... keep going. You will soon reap the rewards for your persistence :happy_fish:.

I can finally see the "vision" Wargaming have for these cruisers now I've got decent smoke and a better platform to use it on. And can see the following tiers being pretty damned awesome even if they are still quite a challenging class to play and do well in. These aren't for the faint hearted. 

However, I would strongly suggest that Wargaming take a look at the lower tier Royal Navy CL's, namely the Caledon and Danae. They simply don't perform and were immensely frustrating to play. For one they suffer without having access to smoke. Perhaps give that option to the Danae so it's not utterly gimped? The shell dispersion on the Caledon was pretty horrific too, a bug in the code perhaps? I was managing to straddle broadside on DD's at a range of 3 kilometres. Now, this line is supposed to be a strong counter to DD's, perhaps it would be good if we could hit the blasted things hmm? Now, it wasn't my gunnery. the shells were landing amidships so my lead was fine, they were just landing to the port and starboard sides of the ship which was just embarrassing :look::red_button:.

Also consider adding a second AP shell type, one with a longer fuse delay time. Skilled players have learned the benefits of appropriate ammunition selection for different circumstances. Since we don't have HE we are currently just spamming the RN "special" AP with no other options, which seems a shame. It's also the case that against certain opponents the short fuse delay on this AP shell means we don't do hardly any damage or absolutely none at all. Try shooting the deck of a Konig and see how well you do :tea_cap:.

This line has potential, but I definitely feel along with I'm presuming a great many of you that the lower end of the tree needs some serious work to make them viable in the current environment they're facing. Wargaming have dropped the ball here and should rightly receive criticism for it however let's not lose our heads over this. 

To coin a very British saying...

NQOxtJXW

Good hunting chaps!

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
685 posts
646 battles

Why i saved up 200000xp months before hand just for the RN.

I knew they would take ages to finally come so i made the best of it gaining all that free xp so i wouldn't have to deal with the slog.

Edited by Armo1000

[PORT]
Beta Tester
291 posts
2,701 battles

Can't say the Leander has filled me with a whole lot of hope. I end up playing these things like destroyers, seeing as they can't do any damage at range and they're arguably strongest upclose, assuming they don't die beforehand. 

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
12,943 battles

the Leander isnt good not at all but at least its fun...unlike some filthy little trashback before....

[KOKOS]
Beta Tester, Players
3,371 posts
8,811 battles

Black Swan FTW! Citadels here i come! :trollface:

Players
1,011 posts
10,306 battles

Hmm I am at the tier 4 cruiser right now and I must say......they are powerhouses. Idk why the OP has to downplay them so much but i found them quite enjoyable.

After watching youtube reviews and then actually facing the minotaur (free exp plebs) in randoms I must say.....I am not impressed by the least.  Zao and des moines remain powerhouses compared to the minotaur.

Players
3,572 posts
7,334 battles

Hmm I am at the tier 4 cruiser right now and I must say......they are powerhouses. Idk why the OP has to downplay them so much but i found them quite enjoyable.

After watching youtube reviews and then actually facing the minotaur (free exp plebs) in randoms I must say.....I am not impressed by the least.  Zao and des moines remain powerhouses compared to the minotaur.

I've encountered Minotaur too, in Des Moines. When these things catch something broadside, damage stacks up fast. But point your bow at them and you don't hear them over sound of ricochets:trollface:

And they melt fast under fire too.

[_VI_]
Beta Tester
679 posts
1,740 battles

Ok, so I finally got the Leander unlocked, after much sweat, tears, some free XP and lots of cursing (generally aimed at Wargaming on their dubious design choices for tiers II-V RN CL's) I finally unlocked the Leander. 

What a massive step up in ability. The Emerald isn't too dissimilar however the MM for the Tier V bracket is brutal at the moment forever matching you with teams full of Tier VII ships which will eat you alive. While I haven't had massive damage scores (mainly due to the T8 games I keep getting) I'm finding this ship much more capable than her predecessors. So, a word of encouragement for you poor souls grinding though the Danae and below... keep going. You will soon reap the rewards for your persistence :happy_fish:.

I can finally see the "vision" Wargaming have for these cruisers now I've got decent smoke and a better platform to use it on. And can see the following tiers being pretty damned awesome even if they are still quite a challenging class to play and do well in. These aren't for the faint hearted. 

However, I would strongly suggest that Wargaming take a look at the lower tier Royal Navy CL's, namely the Caledon and Danae. They simply don't perform and were immensely frustrating to play. For one they suffer without having access to smoke. Perhaps give that option to the Danae so it's not utterly gimped? The shell dispersion on the Caledon was pretty horrific too, a bug in the code perhaps? I was managing to straddle broadside on DD's at a range of 3 kilometres. Now, this line is supposed to be a strong counter to DD's, perhaps it would be good if we could hit the blasted things hmm? Now, it wasn't my gunnery. the shells were landing amidships so my lead was fine, they were just landing to the port and starboard sides of the ship which was just embarrassing :look::red_button:.

Also consider adding a second AP shell type, one with a longer fuse delay time. Skilled players have learned the benefits of appropriate ammunition selection for different circumstances. Since we don't have HE we are currently just spamming the RN "special" AP with no other options, which seems a shame. It's also the case that against certain opponents the short fuse delay on this AP shell means we don't do hardly any damage or absolutely none at all. Try shooting the deck of a Konig and see how well you do :tea_cap:.

This line has potential, but I definitely feel along with I'm presuming a great many of you that the lower end of the tree needs some serious work to make them viable in the current environment they're facing. Wargaming have dropped the ball here and should rightly receive criticism for it however let's not lose our heads over this. 

To coin a very British saying...

NQOxtJXW

Good hunting chaps!

TLDR,

Leander, still shite, but less shite than the others.

Well that's all right then.

Sign in to follow this